Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-25-2021, 08:41 AM

Default 2021.7 and MOV bounces

All,

There used to be an option when bouncing Quicktime MOVs out of Pro Tools to not overwrite the source videos time code. Using Pro Tools 2021.7 and OSX 10.15, I do not have that option any longer, instead the source time code is over written with the Pro Tools timeline time code. I do promo work, so I have tons of 30 second spots on a time line.

How do I fix this?

Randall
Denver, CO
Old 08-25-2021, 08:36 PM

Default Re: 2021.7 and MOV bounces

I think your only option is to complain to Avid and use another tool in the meantime. I'd also like that feature.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:14 AM

I will complain.

In the mean time, I am using a Soundflow script to bounce out all of the videos on my timeline. At each video it changes the start time code to be 59:50:00 (10 second leader on each video, which is a constant). After it finishes, it goes back to the session start and resets the timecode to our template start TC. A serious pain in the butt...

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I think your only option is to complain to Avid and use another tool in the meantime. I'd also like that feature.
Denver, CO
Old 08-26-2021, 08:30 AM

Maybe this will help. I have been using this while the .mov bounce was messed up and it's WAY better than the old ancient version.

http://www.ffworks.net

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 08-26-2021, 12:52 PM

@quadraphonics

I'd love to see that soundflow script.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:52 AM

I think an easier workaround would be to set up a watchfolder, and have a small ffmpeg script change the TC on all files you drop in there.

something like ffmpeg -i FILE -c:v copy -c:a copy -timecode 10:00:00:00 -o FILENEW

Should be not hard for your tech team.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:46 AM

I spoke to a contact at Avid. Here is what they said:

"This still exists in the old Bounce to QuickTime window on Mojave. We were not able to implement it with the new bounce dialog. It will require more work, which is documented and planned."

That's what I got.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 08-27-2021, 06:47 AM

I spoke to a contact at Avid. Here is what they said:

"This still exists in the old Bounce to QuickTime window on Mojave. We were not able to implement it with the new bounce dialog. It will require more work, which is documented and planned."

That's what I got. I know there are other things in the works as of a month or more ago.

G
Old 08-27-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npapaleo View Post
@quadraphonics

I'd love to see that soundflow script.

Sure thing. Not sure how much of this will apply to you as it is specific to our workflow. The script counts the number of selected video clips on a timeline and does a loop based on that number. The loop will look at the video clip name to determine what kind of file it is (Air master, Texted Sub Master, Textless Master) and open the correct bounce profile for each. It will then bounce the video into a correct sub folder with the date that it was bounced.

I had to add the bit about changing the session timecode for each clip to accommodate 2021.7

I am getting an error trying to post the Javascript. I will try to send it to you directly.

Randall
Denver, CO
Old 08-27-2021, 09:04 AM

Thanks,

It is something that I looked into. However, it would be adding an extra manual step to this process. We do thousands of these per month, sometimes 30 - 50 in a single batch. Having to wait for that to finish before I can upload and tag in our MAM would not go over well.

That said, what I really need is to be working in an IMF component based workflow where all of our versions are derived from metadata and made automatically with one set of audio files...

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
I think an easier workaround would be to set up a watchfolder, and have a small ffmpeg script change the TC on all files you drop in there.

something like ffmpeg -i FILE -c:v copy -c:a copy -timecode 10:00:00:00 -o FILENEW

Should be not hard for your tech team.
Denver, CO