Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-06-2022, 10:37 PM

Default Unable to run Pro Tools on my Mac M1 Mini

I have the perpetual license for Pro Tools 12 and haven't used it for a long time. I just downloaded the 12.5.1 installers and installed it on my Mac M1 Mini. I installed the main 12.5.1 package and the codec installers, but the driver installers won't install and the popup error says it's incompatible with my machine. I think they're the HD installers, maybe I need the LE but it's not in my download package. When I try and launch Pro Tools it just hangs and doesn't open, and I ultimately have to force quit as it's unresponsive. Not sure what to do and I'm appreciative for any help. Here are the specs for my machine:
Audio Interface = Fast Track Solo, version 1.02
Mac OS Monterey 12.5.1
Mac Mini M1, 2020
Apple M1 chip
16GB Memory
8 Cores (4 performance, 4 efficiency)
No PCI cards or devices
USB hubs with external hard drives, midi keyboards, and the iLok2 key plugged in
Old 10-07-2022, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Unable to run Pro Tools on my Mac M1 Mini

Pro Tools 12.5.1???

If you have Monterey 12.5.1,
use Pro Tools 2022.9.

Or get an old computer.

This list tells you what version of PT will work with what MacOS.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //

Last edited by nednednerb; 10-07-2022 at 12:02 AM. Reason: link to compatibility
Old 10-07-2022, 07:47 PM

Well, the dmg says "Install Pro Tools 12.5.1.pkg" so that's why I thought the number matched the OS version. Here is a screenshot of the dmg folder:
https://postimg.cc/SXSRBfdw

Please tell me if I'm incorrect but ostensibly since I have a "Perpetual License" the files in the 12.5.1 installer should be the correct files for running 12.5.1

Maybe you don't know and I appreciate your response but you didn't comment on the issue of the installation being successful but the driver installers failing.

That makes me think I just need updated drivers for the M1, for whatever version of Pro Tools was included in my installer file.

Here's a screenshot of my products download page:
https://postimg.cc/Js1R04XX

Get an old machine is not a viable option for me but I believe my perpetual license includes a working version for the M1 chip, so I think I just need the correct file and the correct drivers.

Last edited by evank999; 10-07-2022 at 07:49 PM. Reason: image links didn't show up in the reply. I removed the bracket shortcodes and kept the raw URLs
Old 10-07-2022, 07:57 PM

Pro Tools version numbers do not coincide with Mac OS version numbers. Take a look at their compatibility chart
Old 10-07-2022, 08:21 PM

I did look at the compatibility chart you sent, thank you for that but I don't see anything regarding the hardware M1 chip just the OS version and from what I see it should be compatible. I'm at a complete loss why the software does not boot up on my machine. It installed successfully but when I launch it, all that happens is that it bounces in my dock, and shows up in my list of active apps, for instance if I hit ctrl-tab it shows up as if I can switch over to Pro Tools as if it is running, however it is not running and nothing happens when I choose it.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:36 PM

Why is this hard to work out?

You are installing an about seven year old version of Pro Tools 12 on the latests macOS. Back in the days of Pro Tools 12 Pro Tools releases did not use year codes. That crap you are wasting time trying to install ain't supported on any recent macOS release, as is clearly documented in the compatibility table.

If you are on Monterey you should be installing Pro Tools 2022.9, the latest released version. I don't know how Avid could make that any clearer to you.

If you only have Pro Tools 12 you need to purchase an upgrade/reinstatement or switch to a subscription and choose wether you go with Studio or Artist versions. Since you seem a little lost already best advice there is to contact a sales rep at Sweetwater or a similar dealer and they will describe the upgrade options or subscription options available to you... and avoid you wasting money on the wrong purchase..

M1 etc. hardware is not mentioned as it makes no difference, Pro Tools is all running under Rosetta 2 for compatibility. And even after it has a native Apple Silicon Port it will likely be packaged as a single install for both architectures. Like most ISVs do. If any of this mattered if would have been called out in the compatibility table.

You need to work out what audio interface you are using, and it needs to be one that does have native Apple silicon driver support (Rosetta does not work with drivers). If you have an old Avid/Digidesign consumer interface it likely will not work. You should not be installing the HD driver from Avid since you don't have HD hardware (and any driver packaged with Pro Tools 12 sure won't run on an Apple silicon mac).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-07-2022 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:55 PM

Evan.....

This seems really simple to all of us.

Pro Tools 12.5.1 is from years and years ago. 12.5.1.pkg makes me near certain this is true.

It just so happens a recent version of MacOS Monterey is 12.5.1.

The number is the same. that's it.

Uninstall everything you've done up to now to get PT12 running. You might need to reinstall your whole computer if later problems won't go away.

Download and install Pro Tools 2022.9. That's the current version for current computers (yes, MacOS 12.5.1 Monterey)

Echoing Darryl, do NOT install HD Driver unless specifically needed (you should know that! Do you have HD hardware, specifically requiring HD Driver.... It doesn't just mean hi-fi or something, it's very specific)
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 10-07-2022, 09:01 PM

It's "hard to work out" because in my account it says my perpetual license is active and it has downloaders for me. So it should work and run on my machine or there wouldn't be downloaders.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:07 PM

Thank you @nednednerb I'm glad it's so simple for all of you. You guys really have a way of making people feel like morons. But thank you for clarifying what I thought initially which was the the numbers just happen to match. I haven't used pro tools for a long time, I switched to Ableton years ago for my DAW and just wanted to launch pro tools and do some simple voice recording to record and master an audio version of a book I'm about to publish. I can use Garageband but I have so many pro tools plugins I know I can get a better sounding result in PT. I did not anticipate so many troubles launching this app. I do not think I can get v2022.9 without upgrading for over $300 for a new 1-year updates and support package. It's ridiculously expensive for a "perpetual license" that I paid extra for because they called it "perpetual." Which means "forever" not "we'll stop it from working at some time in the future and cause you to pay $300+ per year to keep it active" So forgive me for being at the same time disappointed, confused, and shaking my head at the snark and lack of helpfulness of most comments here.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evank999 View Post
It's "hard to work out" because in my account it says my perpetual license is active and it has downloaders for me. So it should work and run on my machine or there wouldn't be downloaders.
Yes but you've been pointed at the compatibility table how many times now?

And you used Pro Tools before and it has never had a web site downloader that checked versions. Pro Tools gets used by large schools, studios etc. when you do to download stuff for many systems, it does not check what you are running and offer you stuff that's compatible, doing so would screw up very many users. Avid Link app which is now a part of Pro Tools tries to do this, but does it so bad it frequently causes more problems than it's worth (so many of us uninstall it). Anybody doing this needs to understand the compatibility table... so now just contact a sales rep and buy the right upgrade and get going.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-07-2022 at 09:31 PM.