Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-12-2008, 04:06 PM

Default Exporting Mono File to a Stereo Interleaved File

Hi,

I know this has been addressed in the past, but I couldn't find the old thread. Also, I would like to know the answer for current PT software, i.e. 7.3 thru 7.4.

Upon clients request, no matter how pointless technically, they want some mono voice-overs delivered as a stereo file. As soon as I heard this I remembered doing this process before. Export-Region-As.. allows you to choose Stereo-Interleaved, but in fact, the result is still a single channel file. I know PT is probably recognizing the fact that its a mono file (even when its duplicated onto a stereo track) and doing the " smart " thing and keeping it mono, cuz yes, making a mono file into a stereo-interleaved file is just wasted space.

However, clients want what they want and Im not going to try to explain the technical aspects behind. I just want to deliver what they are asking. Is there a way I can do this within Protools? Making a stereo track and changing the file names to .L .R? (Not at a rig now so haven't been able to test). Maybe I'm missing something, but it still seems like PT will handle mono files or duplicate mono files as MONO, and regardless of selecting " Stereo Interleaved ", the exported file is still single channel.

Any ideas, insight?

Thanks!
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 03-12-2008, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Exporting Mono File to a Stereo Interleaved File

I think if you bring the mono file into the timeline on a mono track, and then cut and paste it later into the same timeline, you could rename the first one .L and the second .R and then select them both in the audio bin and export as stereo.

If something prevents that, you could always create two mono tracks, and import the file into the same place on both, then drage to a stereo track and choose "consolidate" before exporting.

Maybe there is some halfway step that would work - i.e. bringing into the stereo track and not needing to consolidate, but wosrt case scenario I know that consolidating before exporting will work.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:53 PM

Bounce-To-Disk as stereo. (Gives you the opportunity to clean up the VO while you're at it)

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto

Rig 1: 2.8GHz Macbook Pro PT 12.7.1 Logic 10.3.2 Scarlett 18i20
Rig 2: 2.66 QuadCore Intel Xeon Logic 10.2.0 Scarlett 18i20 PTHD10.3.10
Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 AM

PTUser is right,
just duplicate the file from one mono track to another, at the same point of the timeline. (alt ctrl drag)
Rename the regions xxxx.L and xxxx.R and move both regions in a stereo track.
Click this new stereo region & export.
Check the export options (the default options are not always the ones you expect

I do this all the time, it works 100% . No need to consolidate or bounce.

Hope it helps
Phil