Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 01:18 PM

Default a few beginner questions

I feel kinda stupid asking these since they seem like basic problems, but I can't find anywhere the answers to these....I've tried watching the training video for pro tools and even that leaves me confused.

So here it goes....

1) How do you select a section of a track, and completely remove it from the session? Like say I record a section of background vocals and I want to cut out the end because you can hear the click to stop the recording, how would I do that?

2) Why is it, that when i use the headphones while im recording, I get delay on whatever I'm recording. For example, if I am playing a riff over a rhythm I have laid down, then when i play a note i will hear it in the headphones about a half-one second later?

3) How do you switch what microphone is being recorded on a certain track? (say mic 1 is being recorded when i have something rec enabled but i want mic 2 to be recording?
Old 07-12-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: a few beginner questions

Welcome to the boards!

1) How do you select a section of a track, and completely remove it from the session? Like say I record a section of background vocals and I want to cut out the end because you can hear the click to stop the recording, how would I do that?

You will want to highlight the region of the track that you wish to delete and then press your delete key or cut the region by hitting ctrl + X on your keyboard which will take it out.

2) Why is it, that when i use the headphones while im recording, I get delay on whatever I'm recording. For example, if I am playing a riff over a rhythm I have laid down, then when i play a note i will hear it in the headphones about a half-one second later?

this effect is called latency. You will want to most likely set your Mbox up to playback while you are recording. I believe it is the second knob up from the bottom if I recall and you can set it accordingly to mix what is coming into it and out of it by turning from left to right. Left being input only, and right being playback. You might also want to double check your buffer settings.... I forget what the menu is called off hand without seeing it first hand though... maybe someone else could post the path for you possibly.. I am just so used to doing everything first hand that I don't pay much attention to names of things any longer..

3) How do you switch what microphone is being recorded on a certain track? (say mic 1 is being recorded when i have something rec enabled but i want mic 2 to be recording?

You'll want to visit the Mix window in PT and then select the input device on the track strip. Should say something like Input 1 or Input 2 if I recall without looking on it when you click on the input for the channel you want to record from and you can select either or, or record through SPDIF if you have those form of connections on your MBox plugged into something.

Goodluck, and have fun!
Old 07-12-2005, 01:31 PM

Getting started guide and the manual hold a wealth of information. You would be amazed. seriously.

Bastiaan
Old 07-12-2005, 01:33 PM

thanks alot!

one more....is there any way to get a metronome click or something to keep time while recording?
Old 07-12-2005, 01:45 PM

Wow, man, every question you have asked so far is covered in the getting started manual that came with your system. I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but it really is a great place to start (as Bastiaan mentioned above).

Information about using the click plugin is available on page 71. (also a video on it at the diskflix)

Input selection is covered on page 81 under basic recording.

Latency is covered on page 84.

Information on basic audio editing starts on page 87 and continues to page 90.

The Pro Tools reference guide is also available from the help menu within Pro Tools, contains much more detailed information and is searchable.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-12-2005, 03:53 PM

page 71 says nothing about click tracks or how to get them going. What manual are you using? Different than what I have apparently...
Old 07-12-2005, 03:59 PM

Spkguitar is probably talking about the reference manual.

Bastiaan
Old 07-12-2005, 04:05 PM

No actually, since you didn't mention what version of protools you are using, I was referring to the newest version of the getting started guide.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 07-12-2005, 04:15 PM

Quote:
No actually, since you didn't mention what version of protools you are using, I was referring to the newest version of the getting started guide.
since when did it inflate to that many pages ??
You are a true value to this forum Shawn, with all these responses. Keep it up !
> you could break for dinner <
Miss your old sig..

take care,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 07-12-2005, 04:22 PM

Yeah, the paper one I have is for 6.1 and it's only 80 pages. The newest one is 140. That's also for the 002/002r (since no mention was made of which hardware, either).