Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2003, 01:03 PM

Default Mbox and G4

Hi everybody
I have some difficulties with my old Macintosh G4, 400 mz and 386 RAM size computer.
I've bought the Mbox and installed Pro Tools 5.2.1. It's working, but it can't run with any plug-ins.
For instance with GRM plug-ins and not even the demo from Digi Design seems to work.
I have done everything which is described in the booklet, so.....
There's only Pro tools running on my computer and I've added all the memory possible for DAE and Pro Tools.
Please help me.
Simon : :
Old 09-05-2003, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Mbox and G4

dear simon :
firest of all a ram upgrade would make your machine work better ,that would not increase your plugins count but you should set up the extensions on your system in order to make your mac 100% protools slave (if you didnt do it by now) this is the most importent thing when working on a native recording and mixing system
turn oof every thing that dosent concern the operting system (internet ,modem ,airport card,share things, and many more)
good luck
if you have more questions write me to [email protected] i'll be glad to help

AEK
neumann tlm103
Tlaudio 5051 v.2
genelec 1030
yamaha p-90
Old 09-05-2003, 03:35 PM

More RAM....what you have is not adequate.

Double it minimum.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:19 AM

Dear Ariel
Thank you for your assistance, i'm trying to quit as much as possible, but it won't do. I must get me some more RAM.
I really don't understand, that when i'm saving my old FREE sessions, they still say Pro Tools Free dokument.
Save as won't do........
Hope you can help me
Simon
Old 09-06-2003, 01:33 PM
Administrator

The amount of RAM you have isn't the problem, so you should solve the real problem before you buy more. Ariel is on the right track with the extensions advice. More RAM may very well help, but that is likely not what is causing your current situation.

See the Mbox OS 9 compatibility docs:
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/os9/mbox
Total System RAM:

* 192 MB minimum, 256 MB recommended. More RAM increases overall system and Pro Tools performance.
* Pro Tools LE application "Preferred" memory allocation set to 40 MB
* DAE "Preferred" memory allocation set to 30 MB
* Additional RAM required for simultaneous use with MIDI sequencers
* Virtual memory is not supported

What is more likely is that you did not remove all of the Pro Tools Free components, and you are running into conflicts with extensions and/or other software. Pro Tools Free (at least the application) is still on your system if your previous sessions say they are PT Free sessions. (you might try opening the sessions from the Open... menu in Pro Tools LE 5.2, rather than double-clicking them)
Do a find on your hard drive for Pro Tools and you will likely find the Pro Tools FREE application. Delete it, then delete the preferences folder items listed below.

If that doesn't help, then you need to try and remove all of the Pro Tools software from both PT Free and PT LE 5.2, including:
System Folder/DAE Folder
System Folder/Preferences/DAE Prefs folder
System Folder/Preferences/DigiSetup
System Folder/Preferences/Pro Tools Preferences
System Folder/Extensions/DigiSystem™ INIT
System Folder/Extensions/anything else with Digidesign in the name

You can probably remove the Mbox Pro Tools LE software using the installer CD and choosing uninstall, but you will probably miss some of the PT Free components.

Then follow the instructions in your Gettig Started with Mbox guide under Chapter 3: Macintosh Configuration->Apple System Settings->System Settings for Mac OS 9, followed by the Pro Tools LE install instructions.
http://www.digidesign.com/support/do..._with_Mbox.pdf

A couple of other things...you may have allocated too much RAM to DAE and the Pro Tools app, and not leaving enough for the Mac OS. You may want to try the recommended allocations to start, then allocating more in smaller increments. Never change the minimum amount of memory allocated, only the Preferred amount. If you have changed the minimum, try putting in a zero which should force the minimum back to the default. See this Answerbase item:
http://answerbase.digidesign.com/detail.cfm?DID=27148

Lots of info there, including detailed instructions for someone with 364 MB of RAM.

Finally, the Mbox likes OS 9.2.2. If you have an earlier version of the Mac OS, and you run into any USB problems, you may want to look into the free update from OS 9.0 or higher to 9.2.2:
http://www.info.apple.com/support/downloads.html