Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-29-2007, 03:34 PM

Default M-Box, and Recording Yamaha Motif MIDI with Motif Voices

Just got an XP computer, and an M-Box with Pro ToolsLE 7. I have a Yamaha Motif synth, which has USB and of course MIDI out.

I want to record into Pro Tools, and maybe have a studio eventually master or otherwise clean/sweeten up my recordings. The local studio guys I have talked to tell me to record in MIDI, because they can work with MIDI files and not with Audio files.

OK, so I should record in MIDI. But I also want the Yamaha Motif sounds to be recorded to my eventual CD, not the MIDI sounds that my sound card has.

So is there a way to get MIDI recorded, and also hear my Motif voices?

A guy at the local guitar store said the solution is to record BOTH MIDI and audio tracks at the same time, using the M-Box.

Thoughts, suggestions?

What is the best way for me to proceed?

I am somewhat of a newb when it comes to this stuff; thanks for any help.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Re: M-Box, and Recording Yamaha Motif MIDI with Motif Voices

I have the Motif Rack and MBox2. I usually record midi, then edit the midi notes as required, then play/record the finished midi track from the Motif to an audio track. I usually find it necessary to shift the midi track slightly in time. This is easy in Pro Tools. The Motif has plenty of effects options, but not as extensive as what's provided in Pro Tools. If a change is needed later you can always replay-record the midi track to the audio track again with the revisions. You can keep whatever aux setups you used before. This allows for great flexibility.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:29 AM

Default Re: M-Box, and Recording Yamaha Motif MIDI with Motif Voices

Thanks so much for the reply. My history is in Sonar, using Windows 98 and a sound card. So I have some catching up to do in terms of knowledge.

Two more questions, if you could.

How are you recording MIDI into Pro Tools from your Motif? Using the USB out from the Motif into USB on your computer? Using MIDI out on the Motif into the M-Box?

And when I install my Finale music notation software, will Finale 'find' this MIDI connection if I make it through the M-Box?

I understand that you are editing MIDI data on the Motif, then sending it to record as Audio in Pro Tools. I also understand that you play/record the finished MIDI file to an Audio track. I have yet to try this, but it sounds easy. Thanks much!

Chuck