Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-12-2004, 10:43 AM

Default Re: bouncing to disc and volume loss

You also might want to try normalizing the recording with the audiosuite plug-in.

File - Make a new track - stereo master fader. you can monitor your bounce output with this, so set it as loud as possible before it clips red. You can also insert the compressor on the master fader, to compress a whole mix. Generally start with about a 3:1 ratio and use about 6 dB of gain reduction as a starting point, and add or subtract from there.

The others mentioned this I think; just wanted to make sure it was a bit more clear.

You can also normalize your bounced file by importing it again, or using an external editor such as peak or soundforge.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:57 PM

Put an L2 on your master track, If you don't have one Maxim might help.

July

MP3's
Old 10-13-2004, 04:49 PM

Wow man, I just tried using a master fader, and it added to my volume... thanks so much, now im just going to try the normalizer/compressor, ill update once i do.

a
Old 10-13-2004, 05:30 PM

so i tried compressing it to your stats, and it didn't add volume, it just made my mic vocals jump up and down and all over the place... any ideas?
Old 10-13-2004, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Not playing winamp back through the Mbox. Just listening via the out on my soundcard. I am not really comparing it to any mix. I am just recording a short phrase into PT, adjust the volume till it sounds good, and then bouncing it to disk. The resulting wav when played through media player is much softer.

I'll have to do a search on some of these topics

anton
Turn the headphone volume knob on your MBOX down. Now both will be approx the same volume.

Your soundcard for your computer has a single LINE OUT/HEADPHONE OUT whereas your MBox has a separate LINE OUT and HEADPHONE OUT. The amp on the MBox headphone out supplies a lot more volume to the headphones than the Line/HP out of your soundcard does. Why? Because if you were to plug external speakers into your sound card they would sound fine. Do the same to the MBox headphone out and it would be distorting even at a low volume. The soundcard's amp isn't as powerful as the MBox, and it is this way on purpose.

The file itself isn't any quieter, just the headphone jack you're plugging into is. If you were to listen to your MediaPlayer files using your MBox as the soundcard you'd notice they are the same volume as they were when you were bouncing them down.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 11-18-2004, 07:18 AM

Can the reference level be adjusted on the player,or hardware, let's say on win media player, for a client that will playback the file for a presentation, to maintain volume consistency? I have found that since I use PT on my powerbook, the final volume sound good on any mac I've tried it, but when played back on any pc using either win media player or itunes, it sounds lower. Someone said It could be the codec I'm using for the mp3 files I'm giving them for playback on pc, but the only codec PT uses is the mp3 option I bought thru digidesign. It doesn't make sense.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:57 AM

"When mixing you must have the Mix knob all the way to PLAYBACK."

Hey Rail, where is the Mix knob? I don't remember seeing something like that. Either that or it's way too early in the morning. lol
40GB HDD for OS
250GB HDD for Audio
(2) 17" Monitors
Old 11-18-2004, 09:07 AM

Hey guys, in my experience it's just not a matter of normalizing or correcting volume levels inside a PT session, as Rail says, it is a hardware reference level inconsistency. Now, what I don't know and need to find out is how to bridge this problem between mac and pc. In my case I use a mac powerbook, and my mixes volume sound the same on any mac, but there are some pc's where it sounds lower, and believe me, it's not the eq'ing or the volume on the player on win media player or itunes. And it does not have anything to do with just headphone mixing, I do mine on active studio samson resolv65a/mbox mix button all the way to playback. Any thoughts or suggestions?