Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2007, 03:50 PM

Default ripping my hair out over DAE error 9073!!!

mac 10.4.10
8 core 3ghz
4 gigs of ram
PT 7.3.5
HD 3
2 maxtor firewire 400
extenral 500gb hardrives

PLEASE HELP. i've searched and read all the threads on this and have tried every solution posted thus far. i've seen "dae error 9073 cannot get information off of drives fast enough" with a track count of EIGHT!!!!! it happens more often when the track count gets higher, but it is definatly happening way to often. i'm running at 96/24. i've tried not running more than 24 tracks on one drive but i seem to get the error less when everythings on one drive. however it never goes away completely. and i'll see the error when the count is less than 24. i've increased dae buffer size. i've defragged drives. i'm at my wits end and looking like a jerk infront of my boss and clients. please help.
-tom
Old 12-21-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: ripping my hair out over DAE error 9073!!!

try an internal SATA (about $110 for 500GB)

don't discount the unsupported OS

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-21-2007, 04:32 PM

good points. i've seen much higher track counts on external drives on much lesser machines though. anybody else got anything or had problems with 10.4.10?
Old 12-21-2007, 04:58 PM

Are you saying your get this error with a track count of eight, or you can run 24 tracks and get the error from time to time? I don't understand. 24 tracks @ 96K on a single external drive is a lot of data.

What is the chipset of your external Maxtor FireWire drives? Have you tried any other type of external FW Hard Drive, with a different chipset?

Do you have an other FireWire Drives that connected, but not in use, such as FW800 drives? I have seen problems with the G5 and having both FW 400 and 800 drives connected. . . not sure on the Mac Pro.

Any problems with large copies of data from FW Drive to FW Drive? How long does it take to copy a couple Gigi-bytes of audio data?
Old 12-21-2007, 05:48 PM

I have a client with the same exact problem with the same machine and specs
only using an internal SATA drive DAE error 9073 and cpu to slow

• 8 core 3 gighz mach (( WTF ))
    energy saver setting all off
    disk space set to 20 min.
    CPU set to 90%
    DAE Buffer set to 4
    Cach @ 512

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 12-21-2007, 05:56 PM

Do these drives have approved FW bridge cards (Oxford)? These 500 GB drives aren't two 250 GB drives in one case, are they?

Also, check to make sure that "put drives to sleep whenever possible" isn't checked in your computer's energy saving settings.

Doing a quick test with one of the internal drives would be a good idea if the trouble persists.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:31 PM

there seems to be a problem with 7.4 and internal SATA use

digi knows about it

we need to keep reporting this

it's hard to edit on the fly

and editing on the fly is an importing thing to many of us.

digi please have your beta testers try editing on the fly with internal SATAs

oh

we are the beta testers?
ahem
as you were

we do we send our W2 forms?

tech support or customer service?

merry christmas

Old 01-23-2008, 02:12 PM

thanks for everyone's help!!!!!! i got a new drive. an easyquest firewire 800 pro audio drive and most of my problems have desolved. atleast in that area. i would've replied sooner but it took me a while to afford a new drive. thanks again!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:26 PM

Glad to here that you got it figured out...

I also had similar problem (9073 error) but after I would get basically white noise and random pops/clicks...
transfered the session to another drive (same specs) and the session was running fine...
(also was happening on different session on different drive that was daisy-chained through that drive)
Think that the HD is on its way to being DEAD!
Seems to me like a lot of that type of problem can be drive related and not system related problems

Just my 2 cents
Old 01-24-2008, 04:01 AM

Sounds to me like a lot of people are running their systems without maxing out their ram allocation for Pro Tools- which is often the case for random pops and clicks.. No point having 8Gb of ram if Tools is only allocated 125Mb! Also as long as the Mac is qualified for use by Digi the cause of any problem (except for software bugs) is normally user error and I've only had one case of Digi hardware failing in the last 10 years. Simple things like people mixing firewire 800 and 400 drives on the same bus can cause massive performance hits- or using third party PCI cards with unsupported FW chipsets. System prefs like the processor usage not being set to highest in the energy saver menu and other software such as spotlight running in the background can also cause trouble. Also 24 tracks recording to one drive at 96K/24bit can put a lot of stress on it if your playback engine settings are wrong ie A low H/W Buffer and the Number of DSPs in use vs voices. Also punch record and ADC should be off for recording high track counts.. The best thing to do it test every possible configuration of the system as all of them have limits and then you'll know that 99% of the time you will be working well within them and you will sleep a lot easier.

I don't pretend to know it all but I hope some of this helps the people out there who are having problems and pulling their hair out... I've been there and it is not a happy place.