Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2014, 07:27 AM

Default Advice on mixing to broadcast standards

Hey Guys,

I am currently mixing a short set of online films and am currently using the NuGEN VISLM plug-in to ensure that they have an maximum LUFS of -18. I am also going to ensure that my master fader peaks at -10db - and I will be putting a brick wall limiter on here.

Would anybody else do it differently? / Are there blatant floors in my approach?

Dan
Old 10-07-2014, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Advice on mixing to broadcast standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFN View Post
Hey Guys,

I am currently mixing a short set of online films and am currently using the NuGEN VISLM plug-in to ensure that they have an maximum LUFS of -18. I am also going to ensure that my master fader peaks at -10db - and I will be putting a brick wall limiter on here.

Would anybody else do it differently? / Are there blatant floors in my approach?

Dan
First of all if it's online there are no "broadcast standards" involved unless it's for 4oD or similar in which case they can probably provide specs.

Why limit yourself to the old analogue limit of PPM6 (-10dBFS) - you can safely go to -3dBTP for online (so you're safe from any overs compression could cause). As for the LUFS, TC Electronic and others are suggesting -16LUFS for online content. This works perfectly well.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the clarification tom_lowe. I am new to mixing outside of music - so I'm still learning.

Is it common for organisations to outline detailed mix standards i.e. they would state that the mix should have an overall LUFS of -16, however, within that music should peak at ..., dialog should peak at ... and VO should also peak at ...?

Dan
Old 10-07-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification tom_lowe. I am new to mixing outside of music - so I'm still learning.

Is it common for organisations to outline detailed mix standards i.e. they would state that the mix should have an overall LUFS of -16, however, within that music should peak at ..., dialog should peak at ... and VO should also peak at ...?

Dan
I believe Discovery specs are quite strict, but it's usually stuff like short-term LUFS can't be above -xxLUFS etc. They may give guidelines, but not strict rules. The BBC specs used to give recommended PPM levels for dialogue.

As for mixing to peak, this really is outdated and you should tell the client so. Loudness is where it's at. People still seem to think that 2 sounds with the same peak level will match in terms of level, they won't.

Sound at -6dBFS and -12dBFS could have exactly the same loudness level. The problem is editors relying on peak meters in editing software.

Also, can you drop me a PM?

Last edited by tom_lowe; 10-07-2014 at 09:04 AM. Reason: add
Old 10-07-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Hey Guys,

-18 LUFS and peaks capped at -10dBFS will be well nigh crushed to the hilt! For online -- if you don't have specs -- you are better off with a top peak at -2 or -1 then your -18 LUFS has some room to "breath".
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 10-07-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
-18 LUFS and peaks capped at -10dBFS will be well nigh crushed to the hilt! For online -- if you don't have specs -- you are better off with a top peak at -2 or -1 then your -18 LUFS has some room to "breath".
No more crushed than TV was before loudness as most programmes were between -18 and -20LUFS, although I absolutely agree there's no reason to limit to -10dBFS unless necessary.

-1dBFS as a peak would be too high though, as some encoders down the line may cause overs at that level.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:24 AM

From what everyone has said I think I'll just stick the NuGEN VISLM on my master output to monitor / ensure an LUFS of -16, and also make sure that the master output peaks between -2 and -3 dBFS.

It has not this mix has to be delivered to specifications, but I will mix it how I stated in the knowledge that I may have to tweak it late on.
Dan
Old 10-07-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
From what everyone has said I think I'll just stick the NuGEN VISLM on my master output to monitor / ensure an LUFS of -16, and also make sure that the track peaks between -2 and -23 dBFS.

It has not been confirmed whether the mix is for a website or for an online play rlike 4od or iPlayer. I will mix to LFUS -16 and peak -3dBFS, with the knowledge that I may have to make a few adjustments later on.

Dan
I wouldn't worry about the lower peaks being -23dBFS, if you're thinking of that so you're within a certain dynamic range, don't worry, that's what the LRA readout in VisLM is for.

Also, use a limiter that does inter-sample limiting so that you're -3dBTP not -3dBFS.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:18 AM

For web content we use -16LUFS Integrated with -3dBTP. The material can still be quite dynamic, while with these levels it just works fine on phones, tables, laptops, etc.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:10 AM

On my master out I am going to use the following signal chain to ensure -16LUFS Integrated with -3dBTP.

EQ (use will be subtle)
Compressor (use will be subtle)
NuGEN ISL to ensure -3dBTP limit
NuGEN VISLM to monitor and ensure -16LUFS

Thanks for everyones help!

Dan