Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-09-2010, 10:56 AM

Default upgrade mbox 2 pro preamps

I want to buy an m-audio dmp3 preamp. There is any improvment from integrated preamps? Now there is no clarity in the mid-hi frequency, the sound is muffled, no transparency. I found that there is no big improvment from my pc microphone. . I use a rode k2 and I expected more clarity.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:11 PM

Default Re: upgrade mbox 2 pro preamps

you can use 2 external analog pre's and 2 external spdif pre's with your mbox2pro, make sure you use good balanced cables for the analog and good spdif also
Old 08-09-2010, 12:18 PM

Try eq.

Often I can't hear any huge improvement in sound between my mbox2 pro and any of my preamps untill I start playing with the preamps eq.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:19 PM

Getting a great preamp will likely make a huge difference, but buying more inexpensive preamps won't help. Look at the API A2D. Also remember that room acoustics will affect how any microphone sounds(the broader the pattern, the more the room will affect it. Maybe you need one of those reflexion-type gizmos behind the mic?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-15-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Try eq.

Often I can't hear any huge improvement in sound between my mbox2 pro and any of my preamps untill I start playing with the preamps eq.
Good to know. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Getting a great preamp will likely make a huge difference, but buying more inexpensive preamps won't help. Look at the API A2D. Also remember that room acoustics will affect how any microphone sounds(the broader the pattern, the more the room will affect it. Maybe you need one of those reflexion-type gizmos behind the mic?
I don't know much about music recording and how much improvment can achieve with anti reflexion filter. I want to have a warm sound and clarity for wispered, low volume voice recording. A little more transparency will be nice . I saw a recording on youtube with my mic and apogee duet and the sound is more transparent but thinner/plain without the warm that make an vocal recording stand out from the mix.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:55 AM

A muffled sound is not what i'd expect from a Rode K2 mic, even with an M-box pre. Lack of trasperancy is one thing but it shouldn't sound muffled like a pc mic. In genaral this mike is a bit bright compared to say Neumann TLM103 or U87.

I think you need to look into your setup/cables/room/mic first to see if there is somthing wrong. Try a diffrent input, replace cables, even try the mic at another studio etc...

If you do get a preamp get a good one, like albee said. No point in spending on low quality gear that is no better that what you already have.

I use a Rode NT1000 with a TL Audio preamp (got it fairly cheap used on ebay) for most vo recording and it sounds bright and picks up very subtle whisers and such. With the preamp is better than just the 003 preamps. definatly more control and a fuller sound.
I rarely need to use any EQ, maybe cut some lows on male narrators, or boost the entire top a bit for some added crisp.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:30 AM

A Rode K2 is a significant step up from a PC microphone, no matter the preamp!

Where do you have the pattern set on the power supply? It's infinitely variable between Omni, Cardiod and Butterfly (there's 2 capsules in the head). For Cardiod, what you should be using for what you want to do, set it at 12 o'clock. How far are you from the mic, how much gain are you using at the pre? For whisperery reads, you need to get up on the mic - like eat it - and up the pre's gain.

Also, as you up the gain, you're most likely to be picking up more ambient sound, so you need to take that into consideration as well. That's why albee suggested a SE Reflexion shield or similar. As you move up on the mic, the proximity effect gets greater and this is where the "warmth" comes in. Close-up work is also going to require a good pop-filter if you're at all plosive. Get a Stedman 101.

If this doesn't work, you may need to have the power supply and cable checked and the tube checked too.

And I have to ask this, forgive me if you already know this. If you already have the pattern set at 12 o'clock, do you have the little brass dot facing you or 180 degrees away from you? The active capsule in Cardiod pattern is the one with the little brass dot facing you.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-16-2010, 09:57 PM

Not trying to offend anyone here, but please make sure you are singing/playing into the front of the mic. Don't scoff; I received a batch of tracks to mix where the "engineer"(a musician with no technical knowledge) rented a very expensive mic for a vocal session(a vintage U47FET, I think), and had the vocalist singing into the back side of it! Boy did that take a lot of EQ to make the sound presentable

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-17-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
A Rode K2 is a significant step up from a PC microphone, no matter the preamp!

Where do you have the pattern set on the power supply? It's infinitely variable between Omni, Cardiod and Butterfly (there's 2 capsules in the head). For Cardiod, what you should be using for what you want to do, set it at 12 o'clock. How far are you from the mic, how much gain are you using at the pre? For whisperery reads, you need to get up on the mic - like eat it - and up the pre's gain.

Also, as you up the gain, you're most likely to be picking up more ambient sound, so you need to take that into consideration as well. That's why albee suggested a SE Reflexion shield or similar. As you move up on the mic, the proximity effect gets greater and this is where the "warmth" comes in. Close-up work is also going to require a good pop-filter if you're at all plosive. Get a Stedman 101.

If this doesn't work, you may need to have the power supply and cable checked and the tube checked too.

And I have to ask this, forgive me if you already know this. If you already have the pattern set at 12 o'clock, do you have the little brass dot facing you or 180 degrees away from you? The active capsule in Cardiod pattern is the one with the little brass dot facing you.

Cheers,
For now I use the Cardioid pattern and gain as much as is needed and try to keep the dB metter below zero. I guess maybe I don't have experience with the proximity effect...I have read about it...but in practice is different. Maybe my technique must be improved before I decide to buy other equipments. And yes, I know about the little dot in front of the mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Not trying to offend anyone here, but please make sure you are singing/playing into the front of the mic. Don't scoff; I received a batch of tracks to mix where the "engineer"(a musician with no technical knowledge) rented a very expensive mic for a vocal session(a vintage U47FET, I think), and had the vocalist singing into the back side of it! Boy did that take a lot of EQ to make the sound presentable
I don't see any diference if I sing in front or side of it. I will post a sample these days if I can. Thank you all.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:48 PM

yeah going from a pc mic lol will always be better. I've been a long time user and have been through it all with this stuff. you will not hear much of a difference buying any middle of the line pre. If you want to hear a difference and get good quality the truth is save at least 1,500+ and you can do it with the digi hardware. If you don't think you will ever see that kind of money for it and on a budget then get out of protools and get a duet or something.

The ad/da converters are going to limit you almost all the time even sometimes with a nice pre on digi hardware. So I would say get a api a2d for 1,800 which will give you nice ad, 2 bad ass mofo pres and a better clock then get a $800 da converter later.

I decided to buy a rosetta 200 for 1,000 on ebay fixing my ad,overall da, clocking going to a digi002 and added 2 nice pres. for 1,500 you could go get a grace 101 or gap73pre and buy a rosetta 200 used on ebay. Your da i think is extremely important and lets you hear everything the way it's meant too! Welcome to the other side of the fence :) I was in shock the day I found out what it would take to do a real upgrade :P