Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2002, 02:02 AM

Default Octopre vs. Digmax

Was there ever a final verdict in this rivalry?
Old 10-28-2002, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Octopre vs. Digmax

There is NEVER a final verdict when it comes to preamps It's all about flavor and which one you like. Fortunately, a Digimax and an Octopre with the ADAT option is the same price-point. I've been a BIG fan of the Digimax for quite some time and especially the new Digimax LT. But the Octopre has some interesting things to it. First of all, it has that Focusrite quality and sound. Now, it's not a Red or ISA series by any means but it still is very very good. Either way, you won't make a mistake.... if that makes you feel better It's really going to come down to what sound YOU prefer yourself... I think you would be hard-pressed not to like both.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:59 AM

IMHO the Octapre sounds superior to the Digimax. there is also some added flexability in i/o with the Octapre.

The mic pres featured in OctoPre are the same as those featured in the Focusrite Platinum range. They are a transistor-based Class A design utilising the same full-bandwidth philosophy as the Red and ISA mic pres.

The compressor on the Octapre is also usable, unlike IMHO the Digimax limiters, which just squash the hell out of signals.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:13 PM

Thanks you guys for taking the time.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:27 AM

I figured I would chime in Since noone is giving their opinions on the digimax.. I own a digimax (havent heard the octopre yet) All i can say is that I am very happy with the digimax.. And while the whole focusrite pre's thisng is a great argument.. If you own a 002 or an Mbox.. you already have these pre-amps and getting a different sounding pre might be a good idea.. If you own a 001 Im sure both these pre's will make a world of a difference.. I used to have a 001 and I bought the digimax and loved it (yes the limiters are almost a waste.. but can be used they are not compleetly useless) Now I have a 002 and still love my digimax.. I cant say I like it better than the focusrite pre's but just as good, with a different colour..(adds a bit of diversity to your recordings)

-James
Old 10-29-2002, 07:22 AM

Hello , I've got a Octopre and there's a big difference in it's sound compared to the 002.Hey Baked, are you sure they're EXACTLY the same pre's that are in the 002 and the M-box? I don't think so. I never tried the Digimax so i can't compare it to the Octopre, but the Octopre was worth the price to us!
Old 10-29-2002, 08:07 AM

I own a Digimax LT. I've never used a Focusrite Octopre so Ill limit my opinion the Digimax LT.
The mic pres in the Digimax LT are Class A discrete mic pres that are super quiet and clean.
Inserts in every channel that can also be used as direct outs. Construction is very solid.
I recently finished a project using the Digimax LT almost exclusively and it is a noticable improvement over the stock converters, even with a good pre up front.

I'd say you probably cant go wrong with either the Focusrite or the Digimax LT. I can say I didnt care much for the original Digimax. I tried one and didnt care for the limiters. So why pay extra? Get the LT or the Octopre and be happy.

the 'slide
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2002, 01:49 PM

Baked good records,wasn't trying to step on any toes [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I just recently purchased both the 002 and the Octopre and we notice quite a difference between the both!! As you said, I'm sure either the Digimax or the Octopre will further help sound wise! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2002, 04:03 PM

Quote:
And while the whole focusrite pre's thisng is a great argument.. If you own a 002 or an Mbox.. you already have these pre-amps and getting a different sounding pre might be a good idea..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is not true. The M Box preamps are based on the same design, but they're not the same. The power supply is totally different, which makes a big difference.

As for the Digi002, those are not Focusrite preamps at all. Those preamps are based on the preamps in the Digi Pre, which was designed by Digidesign with no input from Focusrite.

True, the Octopre preamps aren't the top of the line Focusrite preamps...those are the preamps in the Red and ISA ranges, which were designed by Rupert Neve and are transformer-balanced. The Platinum preamps in the Octopre and Control 24 are electronically balanced and based on a new design, although they're still high-quality Class A preamps.

-Duardo
Old 10-30-2002, 12:15 AM

I dont think they are the exact same pre's. But I know the octopre are not focusrite's "high end" pre amps.. and neither are the 002.. So I would imagine they are in the same range..
Dont get me wrong.. Im sure the octopre is WELL worth the $$$.. I was just chiming in about the digimax.. I personally have never heard the octopre.. I'm just sayin that if you have a unit equiped with focusrite pre's and are looking to buy another pre-amp it may be a good idea to go with something else.. I am sure the octopre pre's are a step above the mbox and 002's without a doubt.. But It still will have that Focusrite sound.. albeit a GREAT sound.. But doesnt hurt to vary your pre-amps..
Essentially its all a matter of personal preferance.. go with what YOU like the best.

-James