Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2015, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Setting up pro tools 12

Hey guys and thank you for the responses. The G5 won't run pro tools 12 so we are looking at purchasing a newer Intel Mac.

However I've seen some posts in other forums that say they have gotten the 192 to work with pro tools 12. They mentioned something about replacing or swapping HD cards with newer hdn or hdx ones. I'm not familiar with that, but is it possible?
Old 10-17-2015, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Compatible Pro Tools 12 Interfaces [solved]

Hey guys I stumbled across this thread because I have the same problem/question but I'm extremely inexperienced. I want to buy pro tools 12 but I've seen places that say that the digidesign 192 doesn't work with PT12. But then I came across here and saw that you had to switch "cards". My questions are: what "cards" are you talking about and where are they located? On the CPU or in the digidesign interface itself? How do I go about replacing the old non-compatible card with a hdn or hdx one that will work with pro tools 12 and the digidesign 192?

Like I said I'm still a newbie so any information would be helpful
And thank you in advance.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier90mfc View Post
Hey guys I stumbled across this thread because I have the same problem/question but I'm extremely inexperienced. I want to buy pro tools 12 but I've seen places that say that the digidesign 192 doesn't work with PT12. But then I came across here and saw that you had to switch "cards". My questions are: what "cards" are you talking about and where are they located? On the CPU or in the digidesign interface itself? How do I go about replacing the old non-compatible card with a hdn or hdx one that will work with pro tools 12 and the digidesign 192?

Like I said I'm still a newbie so any information would be helpful
And thank you in advance.
192, 96, HD I/Os are all part of the HD system
The other parts are the HDN PCIe card or Thunderbolt box for OR the HDX DSP processing interface cards (old HD cards are not compatable with HD software from 11 on)
These parts can only be used with the HD software license, they are not compatible with the base software license (aka Vanilla)

So if you are buying a used 192 to use with your Vanilla software, it will not work (even if you also get a card)
If you buy and HD 12 package and want add a 192 to the system it will work.

And no you can not upgrade a Vanilla license to HD.
HD licenses are ether bundled with HD hardware sale or with a LE+CPTK upgeade

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-17-2015, 03:05 PM

All i want is for my Digidesign 192 to work with Pro Tools 12. I already have a 192 purchased that was being used with PT7 and an expansion box. That's what the previous owner was running. But we (my band) didn't buy PT subscription off him, we only bought the hardware, with the 192 included. Now I want to set up PT 12 and not have to buy a new interface.

So i did some research and places said you can't and others said you can, but they never said how it's possible, or at least never went into detail.

So if it's possible, then there must be a way to buy the products available and make it work. you mentioned interfaces work but need to replace "old HD cards".

I want to buy an HD 12 Package and add a 192 to the system, like you mentioned. Does the package bring the updated cards?

Last edited by Javier90mfc; 10-17-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:23 PM

https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...00&&store=shop

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-17-2015, 03:32 PM

okay this upgrades my product; but how does that help with the digidesign 192 being able to work with PT 12?

Do I have to purchase the upgrade and also purchase a hardware exchange?

Do I purchase a hardware exchange after I upgrade to Pro Tools 12? What are the steps that I take? Does the upgrade include the card that will replace the "outdated" card in the 192?

Last edited by Javier90mfc; 10-17-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
okay this upgrades my product; but how does that help with the digidesign 192 being able to work with PT 12?

Do I have to purchase the upgrade and also purchase a hardware exchange?

Do I purchase a hardware exchange after I upgrade to Pro Tools 12? What are the steps that I take? Does the upgrade include the card that will replace the "outdated" card in the 192?
No hardware included in that price. Only the HD software you need.

As mentioned several times here you can ONLY use the 192 with a HD software and either buy a HDN card or a HDX card and when you have both HD software and a HD PCIe card e.i HDX/HD Native or HD thunderbolt. Wont work with non HD software or an older TDM card.

You don't upgrade the card in the 192, you need a separate card to go either in an expansion chassie or in the computer so you can use the 192 Interface

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-17-2015, 03:44 PM

Would it make more sense to buy the PT 12 Perpetual license and then buy an inexpensive avid HD interface like the HD Native thunderbolt and use my 192 with that? Instead of having to upgrade PT 7 to PT 11 and purchasing a hardware exchange, then upgrading from PT 11 to PT 12?

192 only works with HD Software as in PT 12 is not HD?

So the card I would need to get would be either a: HDX Native / HD Native / or HD Thunderbolt. 3 options.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Would it make more sense to buy the PT 12 Perpetual license and then buy an inexpensive avid HD interface like the HD Native thunderbolt and use my 192 with that? Instead of having to upgrade PT 7 to PT 11 and purchasing a hardware exchange, then upgrading from PT 11 to PT 12?

192 only works with HD Software as in PT 12 is not HD?
Do you have a HD PT version as there is no option to buy into a HD subscription or support plan without surrendering an existing PTHD version like HD9-HD11

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-17-2015, 03:55 PM

Previously running PT 7 HD. with old expansion box.

There is no way to buy PT 12 HD through the perpetual license? ( i know you said there is no option to buy into an HD subscription plan, I am just confirming)

Are the HDN or HDX cards different or the same from the "HD PCIe cards ie HDX/HD Native or HD Thunderbolt".
I'm assuming HDN or HDX are types of HD PCIe cards and the three options I can choose from are: HDX / HD Native / or HD Thunderbolt?

Last edited by Javier90mfc; 10-17-2015 at 04:08 PM.