How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 02-07-2012, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Eleven rack stand alone editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samscasa View Post
Would be really, really cool. Think there is any chance for this?
No.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:25 PM

I'm not defending Avid on this at all. Just saying that they made a decision whether we like it or not, and even if we all took our future money elsewhere, it wouldn't affect their bottom line. They have bigger fish to fry than a few disgruntled "pro-sumer" guitarists.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:15 PM

we are still less than a year since the erxp release. again, considering new hd hardware, massive new software and prepping the 64 bit release, i am guessing things have been crazy at avid this last year. also i have not seen chimp or chris around much. maybe that means they are busy trying to make things happen!! but i dont see the eleven rack as dead as many of you make it out to be. i think 11r has done well for them.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-09-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
But do ANY of us NEED Pro Tools 10? Did PT 9 or PTLE suddenly stop working? I would say no - none of us NEED it. We've all convinced ourselves that we want it, or that we're somehow entitled to it - so much so that we believe we need it, but the fact is, most of what many of us do could be accomplished on PTLE.
When I bought the 11R I had some small experience with a recording program called Ableton LE - I really couldn't figure out how to use the program properly but I figured out enough to get it working for what I needed. I wasn't happy with the program nor the interface or the majority of sounds I was getting with the modeller.

Fast forward to 11R and PTLE and I was frantically looking for the gain based features that made Ableton fairly easy to use for my needs only to find that it wasn't available at all. Then I find that they "finally" made an appearance in PT10. So, do I need PT10, no ... but, would I really like to be able to do something that I found so easy in the past - YES!!!!

Now if I knew for a fact which of the other DAWs had gain based features PT would become a glorfied stand alone editor.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 AM

Any news, updates, rumors, inside scoops etc. on this? I'm not a programmer, but am having a hard time seeing how it could possibly be so difficult to make a standalone editor. I mean, it's already there! It just needs to work outside of Pro Tools.
On the other hand I can understand (not sympathize) that Avid wants to lock buyers into using Pro Tools. (If that is what it all comes down to).
Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 AM

I could care less about a stand alone editor, but it would be nice to have a VST editor that could be used in other DAWs. But, I guess this is exactly what Avid is trying to avoid.

You would think they may loose a couple PT sales by doing this, but they would probably gain a few 11R sales.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samscasa View Post
Would be really, really cool. Think there is any chance for this?
Sadly it does not seem so. Even thought the 11R user base has been begging for one for 2+ years now, it appears Avid is content to ignore us. The only reason I have PTLE 8.05 loaded on my DAW is for the editor. I would love, love, love to have a standalone editor that frees me from PT. I'm sure more people would buy an 11R if all the grumbling about the standalone editor would stop [hint, hint]...
Old 02-17-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnscott View Post
Sadly it does not seem so. Even thought the 11R user base has been begging for one for 2+ years now, it appears Avid is content to ignore us. The only reason I have PTLE 8.05 loaded on my DAW is for the editor. I would love, love, love to have a standalone editor that frees me from PT. I'm sure more people would buy an 11R if all the grumbling about the standalone editor would stop [hint, hint]...
It's obviously Avid's choice on whether they want to do this or not, but since they do monitor these forum's you'd think they'd at least they let us know one way or another if it's something they intend to do or not. No answer just leads to continuing grumbling about it which isn't helping their cause.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:00 PM

I don't get how they're thinking actually...
Of course they would sell plenty more of 11R's if it was possible to open an editor without having to install and open Pro Tools, especially since it's such a demanding piece of software with the compatibility issues and all...
100% sure that many choose POD HD or even save up for a Axe-FX or go the software route if it wasn't such a hazzle with PT... They might have gained a few extra PT-users, but not by near as many as lost 11R-buyers...
Old 02-18-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztevie View Post
I don't get how they're thinking actually...
Of course they would sell plenty more of 11R's if it was possible to open an editor without having to install and open Pro Tools, especially since it's such a demanding piece of software with the compatibility issues and all...
100% sure that many choose POD HD or even save up for a Axe-FX or go the software route if it wasn't such a hazzle with PT... They might have gained a few extra PT-users, but not by near as many as lost 11R-buyers...
I get it completely, not that I agree with it.

Avid has had a history of tying their software and hardware together. Before PT 9, you HAD to have an Avid interface or PT wouldn't start. PT 9 and 10 free people up to use whatever interface they want to. FYI, I'm hearing that PT11 will re-introduce the Avid hardware requirement. Strangeley, no other DAW has the stringent hardware and licensing requirements that Pro Tools does, nor are many as resource-hungry as PT.

ProTools is more expensive to buy and to operate than its closest competitor, Logic (even Logic Studio @ $500). RTAS plugins are more expensive than the same plugin for AU or VST. The "Complete Production Toolkit" is a $2000 Pro Tools option that gives PT some of the same features you get free in other DAWs. Still, PT is the industry standard, so like it or not, you're more or less forced to play by Avid's rules - inflated prices or not.

Clearly, Avid likes to forcibly maximize the revenues generated by its DAW, hardware, and tools, so along with tying the software to their hardware, and in the case of the 11R, they also want to make sure you need and expensive bit of software to make full use of the hardware. Providing a stand-alone editor would almost guarantee that many would abandon PT altogether, and go to another DAW. Avid fails to realize that those of us who prefer another DAW will use it anyway. Or maybe they do realize it, but also know that if we want to continue to use our 11Rs, eventually we'll need to keep updating PT, at whatever price they want to charge...

Quite simply put, a standalone editor would't bring in the same amount of forcible recurring revenue that a full version of PT does...

On the other side of that coin, I do all my programming on the unit itself. I don't use the editor for anything other than backing up my rigs, which I do once every 6 months or so, or if I'm replacing a unit (which I've done 3 times in the last year). Surely somebody could come up with a SYSEX librarian for doing that...