Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-08-2010, 10:38 PM

Default Core versus Accel

OK, this is a dumb question. But...

I have an HD3. Was thinking of going to an HD4. But instead of buying another Accel card, could I use another Core card? Can you have more than one Core card?

My reason is that I could then down the line split the cards, and have two rigs if I needed it, since I'd have two Core cards and two Accel cards.

The used Core card I'm looking at is only $400 more than Accel card, so it might be worth it to me to have that option.

Tim
Old 05-08-2010, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Core versus Accel

I've never seen more then one card per HD system before. Not saying it can't be done. But I *think* it can't be done.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:18 PM

Yes you can but the second core must be placed before the accel or process cards
But since core cards cost way more than access cards what's the. Benefits

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 05-09-2010, 01:09 AM

Well as I 'said' (if you had read my post ☺ The benefit would be that down the line, I could take my HD4 and split it into two HD2s, which I might find useful.

And also, the HD Core I'm looking at is only $400 more than a used HD Accel. So it's not much more, for the option of running two ProTools rigs down the line!

Tim
Old 05-09-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
Well as I 'said' (if you had read my post ☺ The benefit would be that down the line, I could take my HD4 and split it into two HD2s, which I might find useful.

And also, the HD Core I'm looking at is only $400 more than a used HD Accel. So it's not much more, for the option of running two ProTools rigs down the line!

Tim
And aren't the Core Cards more useful because some plugs can only run on a Core Card still? I forget which ones, but I THINK that it still holds true for a few of em.
If it is possible, sounds like a good idea to me as well - For a future 2nd HD1 rig for editing/ODs on an older Mac where you don't need extreme horsepower for mixing.

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust Cancellation!•
Old 05-09-2010, 12:11 PM

Can't think of any plugins that can only run on a core card. There's a very small group of plugins that can only run on accel chips (Impact and Revibe for example) - it looked like more were going to head that way years ago but never actually happened for some reason.

Pete
Old 05-09-2010, 05:11 PM

I think the Accell cards actually give you more FX resources, versus the Core is more about Track count and HRMixdelays... but don't quote me. That could also be the older Process cards versus accel that I'm thinking about
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1