Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 06:05 PM

Default midi playback and overdub audio

question:
What is the accepted method of doing the following:
I am controlling an external keyboard via midi from a session. However, in order to use the keyboard sound as a reference for a new track, I need to hear it....obviously. One way is to listen to the playback by way of a sound system connected to the audio outs of the keyboard. However, I have an open microphone for the next track in the same room.
Is is common to route the audio outs of the keyboard back into PT on it's own audio track? Thus, playback via midi track, audio then into PT on an audio track? If so, what about the latency loop?
something seems loopy here.
Any recommendations pls
thx

Old 04-24-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: midi playback and overdub audio

Yes, that's very common, you can monitor your sound module / Keyboard through an Aux, or an audio track.

With an aux, you won't have to "rec enable" the track, and worru about "Input monitor", every time you open the session, the Aux will always be a "live representation" of the ahardware inputs it's assigned to.

With an audio track, you can also record the keyboard's audio into the session, that way you don't need the keyboard hooked up every time you work on the session.

There are several ways to work, it all depends on which way YOU want to.

As for latency... it shouldn't be too bad, however if it's distracting, there are also several ways to deal with this...

1. You can play with Midi Offset values.
2 . (If you record the audio as described above) you can nudge the audio.
3. (back in keeping it live midi) you can create a duplicate playlist on your Midi track, Highlight All notes across the whole track... and nudge the midi notes.

Live sources routed out A 1-2 with "Low Latency Monitoring" turned on, will not incurr any more latency then you are used to hearing, by monitoring the keyboard "In tandem" with Pro-tools.

you're better off, doing just that, and monitoring everything "Through" pro-tools with Low Latency Monitoring turned on.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 04-24-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Re: midi playback and overdub audio

thx for the reply.
I think I like the idea of simply recording the midi back in as an audio track. That will take half the loop out of the equation. I'll just mute the midi playout track after that (instead of deleting it) just in case I might want to change the patch to a different piano sound on the keyboard.
I'm just getting into the multi-track stuff via software. Used to be an old reel to reel "simul-syncer".