Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2022, 09:11 AM

Default Re: How to create midi drums using Wav files

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeats View Post
cheers for the reply, I just want the wavs I have for every single hit to become the Midi instrument. as if I created my own kit within xpand or what not. Hope that makes sense. I'm completely attached to the wav files I have, I've got the perfect kit for me, but they are all individual wav files and want to make them midi.
Then you need a soundfont editor. it can greate patches for synths.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeats View Post
cheers for the reply, I just want the wavs I have for every single hit to become the Midi instrument. as if I created my own kit within xpand or what not. Hope that makes sense. I'm completely attached to the wav files I have, I've got the perfect kit for me, but they are all individual wav files and want to make them midi.
Then you need a soundfont editor. it can greate patches for synths.
Old 01-08-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Dave, Janne; I think you are both missing the point. McBeat is not wanting drum replcement, he has some samples, and he wants to to be able to 'play' them.

Yep. He just needs a sampler.

Plenty of them around and your suggestion would do the job nicely for free.

Would be interesting to know what kind of music the OP makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2022, 11:09 AM

Olav, be patient with your posts. Still so low post couint this forum software puts some of them to manual approval. It eases up soon.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Yep. He just needs a sampler.

Plenty of them around and your suggestion would do the job nicely for free.

Would be interesting to know what kind of music the OP makes.

Aha! The description(which I just reread) is a bit bassackwards A sample player makes sense(but he needs one which allows him to load his own samples). Is structure Free still part of PT? In any case, if his samples are great, loading them into a sample player makes sense. If the samples are just okay, then moving to a good Drum VI plugin would make more sense(to me). Watch some demo videos of Superior Drummer, EZdrummer and Addictive Drums to see how they work(and how convenient they are for building a drum "performance"). And, as Sardi asks, what kind of music? Hiphop "drums" are very different from Rock "drums"

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-09-2022, 04:13 PM

The way to “humanize” the midi is through an actual performance. You would have to get your hands on the midi loop. Some vi programs allow this through their included performances. The other two ways would be to set up an electronic drum kit with a drummer, or have a drummer play it off a keyboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2022, 10:55 AM

There's a couple ways you can accomplish what you want to do. First, though, you will need either a drum VI that allows you to import your own samples (which many of them do), or a sample/editor VI where you can import each drum kit sound and assign it to a note.

Then, you will need to create the MIDI files for the beats you want. You can do this manually, entering each hit individually in MIDI being sure that the MIDI note being played is assigned to the correct sample on your drum VI and/or Sample VI (ie Structure). Or you can play the beat off your MIDI controller (or pads, if you have them). If you already have some beats you like you can use the audio to MIDI feature with Melodyne as Albee mentioned earlier. This is now a feature within PT, so if you have Melodyne installed, you need only drag the audio file of the beat down to a MIDI track and Melodyne witll do the rest and give you a MIDI file of the beat, which you can then edit to your heart's content. Hope that helps.

Old 01-17-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
There's a couple ways you can accomplish what you want to do.
Again, for the third time, he doesn't want to do what you think. He has some wavs that he wants to trigger! Simple. He wants a sample player, and I've recommended a free one, and since we've not heard from him, I gather that he's happy and moving on.

There really is too much of this 'posting without reading first' going on.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:34 PM

Waves CR8. Cheap too

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:20 AM

I used Slate SSD5 for this. Works great. I'm sure there are others. I don't remember that it's real expensive - but could be wrong. Just checked and it's around $119 at Sweetwater. The secret to human sounding drums is to steer clear of quantizing as much as possible and play a good part.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com