Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-20-2010, 04:40 AM

Default corrupt audio files PT 8.0.3

Hi all,

Im working on two sessions now where ProTools seems to damage recorded (not imported) audio-files after session closing,

which means: if I work in the session everything works fine, but after closing and reopening, some files are corrupt. ProTools cannot find these files anymore - but they are still in my audio files folder, but their icon has changed and they can't even be opened with quicktime or any other audio application (not even VLC or similar)

This happens randomly, any ideas?

Mac Pro 2x2.3 Quad-Core, 6GB Ram, OS X 10.6.2
ProTools 8.0.3, 1x HD Core PCI + 96 I/O

regards
kava
Old 01-20-2010, 05:13 AM

Default Re: corrupt audio files PT 8.0.3

Something similar happened to me monday. Turned out the disc was saying sayonara.
It was writing files that was the trouble for the disc, and after I swapped disc everything seems fine again.

PT recorded just fine, but playback of the recording made PT beachball.
I got no errormessages when reopening the session, but playback still didn´t work.

Not even Finder could read/copy the files that were corrupt.

It´s not exactly the same symptoms, but I would try switching the HDD.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kava View Post
Hi all,

Im working on two sessions now where ProTools seems to damage recorded (not imported) audio-files after session closing,

which means: if I work in the session everything works fine, but after closing and reopening, some files are corrupt. ProTools cannot find these files anymore - but they are still in my audio files folder, but their icon has changed and they can't even be opened with quicktime or any other audio application (not even VLC or similar)

This happens randomly, any ideas?

Mac Pro 2x2.3 Quad-Core, 6GB Ram, OS X 10.6.2
ProTools 8.0.3, 1x HD Core PCI + 96 I/O

regards
kava
Hi,

I would start with trashing the prefs and database files. i think in SL the database file is only on the system drive in the applications/digidesign folder! maybe someone can confirm this?

This app will help you trash the prefs.... http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=190122

lode has a good point, it could be a drive? can you try starting a new session on another drive and see how that goes.

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:36 AM

thanks for your replies,

tried all this already when it happened the first time, harddisk seems to be o.k. - trashed prefs, database etc...

but it happened again, and I don't really want to reinstall...

greets
kava
Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kava View Post
thanks for your replies,

tried all this already when it happened the first time, harddisk seems to be o.k. - trashed prefs, database etc...

but it happened again, and I don't really want to reinstall...

greets
kava
What icon are the files changing to?

As indicated above - this is highly likely due to a drive going bad. I would back up everything on that drive and erase it, then test again - but don't put any critical data on the drive, as it could fail at any time.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:36 AM

They change from new (snow leopard) black .aif/.wav icon to the "old" blue/white (itunes) .wav/aif logo...
Old 01-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Avid

I've heard something like this - is it possible these are being imported into iTunes for some reason? Or converted BY iTunes?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:36 AM

I was having the exact same issue last month... Started around the second week of April out of nowhere, and kept F#%*-ing with at least one audio file per day until I downloaded the 10.6.3 update. Now the problem has disappeared--knock on wood! (I'm still using the same exact 250GB Glyph drive, BTW). Weird that you guys are still having issues on 10.6.3 though...

This and the delay comp BS that keeps putting my audio in the wrong place [after it was performed perfectly!!!] is enough to make me wonder how anyone at Digi (AVID- excuse me) sleeps at night... how can you sell me a package for close to $20,000 that has these kinds of MAJOR issues???

I look like a real pro trying to explain to my clients that I need to spend 30 mins online and search some forums to find out why the magical take they just played is either completely gone or feels like it was played on muscle relaxers...
Old 12-30-2010, 07:20 AM

we are having the same problems and need a fix asap.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:31 PM

Rail, selfless heroics. Thank you.