Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-08-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Quad g5 and 002 almost unusable

This will be a long post so I apologize in advance. I have an RA to ship my entire rig to Digi (computer, 002 rack and FW drive) but before I did that I thought that I would take a stab at it here because shipping my stuff will be expensive and cost me alot of down time.
I have a g5 quad with 4.5 MB of matched Apple RAM and an external FW drive. I am running OS10.4.8 w/PTLS 7.1cs10. With the exception of BFD I have trashed any plugins that aren't from Digidesign. I cannot record BFD without getting constant -6086 and -9128 errors. Whether I use it just on a stereo track or I do all of the aux tracks the result is the same. I have tried every number of processors and every buffer setting imaginable but nothing works consistently. Sometimes it may work fine for a while (half hour maybe) but then it will act up. There is no sure fire way to get it to make the errors or to prevent them. The same errors occur when I use Sansamp as well. If I don't open BFD or Sansamp these errors will not occur. If I watch the activity monitor only about 1/4 to 1/3 may be green and that line out in front may sometimes spike up, but the whole meter itself never goes past 1/4 to 1/3.

I also get PNGs all over the place. This also happens randomly regardless of what plugin is or isn't open. This is totally arbitrary and I cannot make the problem happen, nor can I stop it once it has started. It usually starts with one of the buttons on the transport (play is usually first) and then if I touch another button it becomes a PNG instead of it's normal image.

I also get a -38 .vdb error sometimes. This only happens with one BFD session. I get no errors in the session but after I close the session, if I try to open another session it will say "cannnot open file-38 .vdb" and then I can't open any sessions and have to quit protools.

I also get this other weird thing happening sometimes. Again I can not make it happen but I definitley can't stop it once it happens. If I open a session sometimes the start and stop times are the same number. I can change them but when I press play it reverts to them both being the same and the session won't play now matter how many times I change the start and end time. Other times I can open a session and press play and no sound comes out. The session is playing and the meters are going but no sound.

I just shipped my 002 rack back to Digi because sometimes as protools was loading the status bar would stay in one place and then my 002 rack would click on and off a few times and protools would finally open. Since they returned my rack it has not done this but that problem was also very random so I'm not sure if it's solved or not. It should NOT be a power supply harness prblem because my rack was made after they sorted that stuff out. Since I have recieved my rack back from Digi it has failed to recognize it once and I have gotten "The application Protools has unexpectedly quit" message about a half dozen times. I have NEVER had this happen until I sent my rack back to Digidesign.
In an effort to correct these problems I have
reinstalled my OS
uninstalled protools and reinstalled it
partitioned all of my drives and made sure they are OS10 journaled extended
trashed databases a million times
reset PRAM and open firmware
updated firmware on 002 ( this happened after I got my rack back. When I plugged it in after it arrived I launched protools and it asked for an update)
tried BFD on an internal drive instead of my external
tried a new firewire cable from my 002 to g5
tried both firewire ports on the g5 (I use the front)
diconnected my computer from it's battery backup and plugged it directly into the wall
I have done all of the Mac optimizations recommended by Digidesign
Made sure all of my plugins are are for 7.0 and updated BFD to 1.5.45
I'm sure I'm leaving somethings out but I'll remember them later

Although I just sent my rack to Digi and they said that it was fine I am beginning think that it could at least possibly be a digi hardware problem. The reason I say that is because of the occasional clicking when opening protools and problems with my last computer and protools. I used to have a dual processor 2.3 g5 w 6.5 GB of RAM with this same 002 rack. I could never get that to work either. It would always crash if I used Sansamp. I had the right version and all of that other stuff but no matter what it would crash. The 002 used to click at that time as well. I eventually sold that computer because I couldn't use PTLE with it and got this one, and now I have different problems.

If anyone here can shed any light on this or has had similar problems I would really appreciate their help. I want to say that Digidesign has been totally cool and have been trying to help me. I just want to avoid having to send everything out to them if I can.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Quad g5 and 002 almost unusable

Hmmmm........
Have you tried Tech Tool Pro.. or Disk Warrior?
Do you have sleep on in energy saver?
What kind of firewire drive are you using and I'm assuming you are also using an internal SATA?
Are you using Firewire 800?
There shouldn't be any clicking going on in the 002... not one time. Light should be lit all the time.
Not sure if Sansamp is ok..... check on this for PT7.
You sure you don't have 1 freebie plug in there you forgot about??
Old 03-08-2007, 07:00 PM

I'm using FW400. Sansamp is OK and I'm sure that I haven't missed any plugins. I do not have sleep on in energy saver. Yes I am using two internal SATA drives and the external is only for my BFD samples. I don't know what Tech tool pro and Disk Warrior are but I would be happy to try them both.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:45 AM

Try running the Tech Tool disc that came with your computer.
Start up from it and let it go through all it's tests.
Go to system prefs in your OS, go to Spotlight, go to privacy and drag all your drives except your system drive to the privacy window. This will stop your OS from constantly searching those drives It might help.
You say you have gone through all the trouble shooting steps. I think I have too but I re-read sometimes and there is one small step I miss that makes the difference. When your 002 is on it should stay locked all the time. When you have these errors does the sample rate light or FW light go off?
What sample rate are your sounds? Are they the same as your project?
Keep working on it. You will find the answer.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:07 AM

BRH-Thanks I wil try tech tool when I get home from work. I am recording at 44.1 and sometimes48 (if it's for TV). I have gone through all of the troubleshooting steps several times and I have double and triple checked. Yes I beleive the MIDI and the sample rate lights go on and off. It has not done it since I got it back from digi but the problem was so random before I sent it out it's difficult to say whether or not that part of the problem is fixed. Luckily next week before I send everything to Digi, I am going to borrow someone else's 0002 rack and try it with my sset up and see what happens. Just for a little extra info my system drive is brand new and so is my optical drive and I had to replace one faulty stick of RAM. I have even reinstalled the OS after I got my new drive (meaning the OS has been reinstalled twice in the last month).

What I am hoping for is that someone will say "Oh yeah, I had that problem also and this is what I did", unfortunately that hasn't happened. It was the same with my old dual core g5. It's a constant guessing game what could possibly be wrong not a documented known bug. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:42 PM

Have you tried opening the 002r and disconnecting and reconnecting the power harness? (disconnected from AC of course)This seems to help when the 002 goes on and off. A known issue. Do a search for Power Harness and a lot of stuff will come up.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:56 AM

Well, I just sent the 002 to Digi and I assume they did that. Unfortunately my 002 rack was built after the power harness issues were solved so this isn't supposed to be a power harness issue.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:08 AM

Have you tried removing all the plugins from your plugins folder, trashing the Digi prefs, and seeing if the system behaves?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:01 PM

Lets face it...PT LE and a G5 quad ( multi processors) are a buggy venture right now... Digi obviously has a lot on their plate and are trying to get PT LE "fixed" with all of the CS updates.

Who knows where it will end up.

I have a constantly evolving group of bugs and weird errors.

It's an art in itself to figure out which third party plug-ins are "optimized for PT 7"

If all of the apps on your system are crashing / acting weird , check out your RAM.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Lets face it...PT LE and a G5 quad ( multi processors) are a buggy venture right now... Digi obviously has a lot on their plate and are trying to get PT LE "fixed" with all of the CS updates.

Who knows where it will end up.

I have a constantly evolving group of bugs and weird errors.

It's an art in itself to figure out which third party plug-ins are "optimized for PT 7"

If all of the apps on your system are crashing / acting weird , check out your RAM.
I don't think this generalization can be made. I've been running a G5 Quad with PTLE7, DVTK2, and BFD for over a year now and the system has been very usable, and mostly stable. I push the system fairly hard and do experience a problem occasionally but nothing to make me feel the system is particularly buggy and certainly very far from "unusable."

That being said, the original poster is obviously experiencing some problems but I wanted to point out that there are people successfully using this particular system configuration and that he need not give up hope.

BFD is definitely has severe resource requirements though and I've found it to be very cranky with lower hardware buffers sizes.