Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-29-2022, 09:44 PM

Default Sonnet Echo 3 Desktop power cable + AVID HDX power cable *together* ok?

I have emailed Sonnet tech support, but was wondering if anyone happened to have an answer to this question…. ?

I own a Sonnet Echo 3 Desktop. (PCI chassis) Have not used it yet.

I will use it with (most likely) one HDX AVID card

as you may know, over the years, AVID sent 3 different types of power connector cables with HDX cards. (the end that connected to computer came in 3 different sizes)

I don’t have the original AVID cable with the *small* connector that would fit into the Echo 3 Desktop….

However I *do* have an original AVID power cable that does seem to fit well into the much *bigger* 6 pin connector that is on the end of the supplied Sonnet cable. These 2 cables + connectors connected together are in the photo below. attached.

in other words: in the photo below:

the left cable is the supplied Sonnet power cable….. then in the middle it is connected to my (large connector style) AVID HDX power cable.
and on the far right are the 3 connectors that would fit into the HDX cards.

* note * in the middle there is one little plug that isn’t used at all, sticking up in the middle where the 2 cables join.

so - is this an OK configuration - to use these 2 cables together, to power my HDX card?

thanks for any thoughts.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Sonnet Echo 3 Desktop power cable + AVID HDX power cable *together* ok?

Update 2 - a different Sonnet person basically said "it should work fine"

previously - - someone at Sonnet said "not supported, possibly not stable" in the method I suggested (photo above)

does anyone happen to know where i can buy a correct cable for HDX?

yes I know it came with the HDX card - i just need *another*, now.

thx.

Last edited by MixerGuy; 03-31-2022 at 01:24 PM. Reason: update.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Sonnet Echo 3 Desktop power cable + AVID HDX power cable *together* ok?

Hi. The Sonnet uses the mini-6 pin to HDX mini 4 pin?
Old 03-30-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
Update - Sonnet said "not supported, possibly not stable" in the method I suggested (photo above)

does anyone happen to know where i can buy a correct cable for HDX?

yes I know it came with the HDX card - i just need *another*, now.

thx.
I thought the cables came with the III? Can't remember I don't use HDX with mine and don't know where the cables are. But either way Sonnet sell exactly what you need. See What power cable do I need for the Avid HDX card for the Echo III, Echo Express III-D, III-R, or xMac Pro Server? at http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb...tion=b939#b939
Old 03-30-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Hi. The Sonnet uses the mini-6 pin to HDX mini 4 pin?
I am not smart enough to have an answer for you.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:15 AM
Avid

The cables come with the HDX card. It's not uncommon for customers moving from a Mac with PCI slots to a chassis to not have tucked the power cables away for a rainy day.

That being said, you can get them from Avid and/or a reseller. If you look at the Chassis compato grid, we list which power cable part number is required.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Compatibility

m
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!
Old 03-31-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
The cables come with the HDX card. It's not uncommon for customers moving from a Mac with PCI slots to a chassis to not have tucked the power cables away for a rainy day.

That being said, you can get them from Avid and/or a reseller. If you look at the Chassis compato grid, we list which power cable part number is required.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Compatibility

m
thanks much.