Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2011, 05:04 PM

Default Trying out an MC Control... questions for the experts

Hi. I'm trying out a used Euphonix MC Control. The touch screen is nice and bright... but not at the angle I'm viewing it (about 45 degrees... typical on the desk viewing angle). Is there a way to adjust the contrast of the touchscreen for better low angle viewing?

Also: what's the difference between the old and the newer MC Control? (This is an old one).

Finally: this particular unit has a jogwheel that feels mushy and slow. I'm wondering if this unit is defective. Should I be able to move the jogwheel with normal pressure from one finger? (I can't). The only way to get the jogwheel to turn is to grab it with opposing fingers and squeeze fairly hard. The resistance varies from a bit hard to really hard. Is this normal?

-Dale
Old 03-31-2011, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Trying out an MC Control... questions for the experts

Hi, I'm no expert but -
The touchscreen is LCD, so it has a limited viewing angle. You need to be close to it if it's on a desktop, not have it at arms length, or else you need to angle the unit upwards at the back more by putting something under it. Which answers the next question - V2 MC COntrol has a led screen which is much better for viewing from all angles. It also has different knobs that are easier to set values with.
And finally, the jog wheel on the MC Control is no tthat great. It will move with one finger, but you need to press down on it at the same time. THe MC Transport jog wheel is a lot better as far as ease of movement. It also doesn't click like the MC COntrol one does.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 PM

If you raise these Q already at the tryout you should test the Control v.2 before buying, since these are the features that have been improved due to costumer complaints already from the start.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 03-31-2011, 11:12 PM

I can't make the comparison at the moment, because the store doesn't have a V2, just a seemingly old V1. (They also have a MUCH more expensive C|24, which I'd like to try at some point as well.)

Is it possible to insert a plug-in on a track using just the MC Control? I know you can control it once it's inserted, but can you do the initial insertion without touching a mouse?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:23 PM

yes you can, you hit both page buttons at the same, thebn press one of the pots to choose the insert, then hit a pot to choose plugin type, then a pot to choose plugin.
Search Euphonix on youtube. There is a tour of the unit, then on youtube also search soundpure, the guys there have made some excellent tutorial videos.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:41 PM

Another question: I see that there are a number of V2 users complaining of "fader noise". What is meant by that? Under what circumstances?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:58 PM

Those of you with V2 controllers... a jogwheel question for you: what's the resolution? In other words, if you zoom in on a waveform and try your mightiest to move the location indicator bar as little as possible, can you move in increments smaller than 6 milliseconds? Try as I may, I cannot. The jogwheel moves back and forth between two points 6 milliseconds apart. So if I wanted to trim a region exactly, I would come pretty close but not get it exactly. Is this normal behaviour for the jogwheel, or yet another indication that maybe this old beast has seen better days?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:39 AM

Wondering the same thing...

Is it possible with an MC Control to change the wheel's resolution, to do fine adjustments and also when needed very fast movements thru the session?

Thank you very much, any help appreciated.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:11 AM

You can adjust the resolution of the jogwheel in the Eucon settings panel, I think it's under the 'general' tab.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:30 PM

v2 has a much better angle for viewing but I am on my 3rd v2 - all of the screens flicker (this did not happen on my v1).

I was told by Avid it is a known issue, with no fix as of yet....