How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2021, 09:38 AM

Default Pro Tools is unable to communicate with Arturia Midi controller

Hi all,

I am unable to get Protools to communicate with my Arturia Keylab MKii 61.
I keep getting the error message “Protools unable to communicate with HUI”

I do actually get a signal in my instrument track when I touch the keys and I can make my Protools track start, stop, mute, solo etc. with the Arturia's PT commands.
It just won’t control/play any virtual instrument!
The virtual instruments work fine btw when I operate them with a mouse.

The Arturia does show up under Midi devices and I am able to set it up in Peripherals HUI.
It also works fine in stand alone mode and is recognized by my computer, just not in PT.

I am doing the testing with record enabled, have midi through checked off and have gone over the install directions a dozen times and watched a dozen youtube help videos to no avail.

My set up is:

Mac OS Big Sur
2020 27” Imac
Protools:
Midi Controller: Arturia Keylab MKii 61

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-08-2021, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools is unable to communicate with Arturia Midi controller

Is the Arturia a USB MIDI keyboard? If so, it should be recognized in Peripherals (not as HUI though). Attached is my M-Audio MIDI keyboard set up in Peripherals.

Second, see 2nd pic from PT Preferences: "Default Thru Instrument" should be set to "first selected MIDI track".

Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 19.56.33.jpg (17.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 19.57.11.jpg (44.8 KB, 0 views)
iMac (2020: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, 32GB), OSX 13.1 (Ventura), Pro Tools 2024, UAD Apollo 8, UAD-2 Quad Satellite DSP Accelerator, 2 x Lacie Thunderbolt SSD (250GB), Seagate Backup Plus Drive (4TB).
Old 10-09-2021, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the reply briaboy.
I figured it out last night!
I just need to change the output on my instrument track from predefined "keyalb mkii" to the vst plug in I was using. Now I get sound and can record in midi after 4 days...
Old 10-14-2021, 04:37 PM

Did you get this to work?
iMac (2020: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, 32GB), OSX 13.1 (Ventura), Pro Tools 2024, UAD Apollo 8, UAD-2 Quad Satellite DSP Accelerator, 2 x Lacie Thunderbolt SSD (250GB), Seagate Backup Plus Drive (4TB).
Old 10-14-2021, 04:53 PM

Some things to remember:
1-HUI is not midi note info. HUI is control protocol for things like volume(via faders) and transport. Best to start by killing HUI function and work on getting midi to work on your INSTRUMENT tracks.
2-In PT, go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. Create a new "instrument", name it as you like. The settings for brand and model are optional(they don't matter). The setting that really DOES matter is the Input path. This is where you tell Pro Tools where to "look for" incoming midi data. Given the Arturia uses a USB connection, it would probably look something like "Arturia Keylab on USB[Emulated]".
3-you may need to put the INSTRUMENT track into Record-ready for it to actually trigger the sounds of the plugin you insert(for testing purposes, I like MiniGrand or DB-33(which loads faster).
4-Once you do have it working, if you decide to change the VI plugin, the assignment might not reset by itself. To reset manually(which you should learn how to do anyway), go to View>Mix Window and check the "Instruments" option. This will add a row of boxes across the top of your MIX window. On AUDIO and AUX tracks, this will not show anything, but on INSTRUMENT tracks, it will show where the midi info of that track should go(usually the VI plugin on that track)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-18-2021, 11:09 AM

Thanks Briaboy and Albee1952!
I did get the controller to work by assigning it to the VST i was using on the instrument track instead of what the directions from Arturia recommended.
Otherwise everything else is how Arturia recommended to set it up to work in PT.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:49 PM

Good to hear!
Old 02-27-2024, 05:34 AM

Just wanted to chime in here, years later, because I was just facing this myself and this thread helped, but wasn't the whole answer. Adding my solution for posterity.

I ended up having to set up the Keylab Essential MkII in Settings->Peripherals->MIDI Controllers as BOTH:
  • HUI, with the DAW in/out ports, and
  • M-Audio Keyboard, with the MIDI in/out ports
Additionally (as per Arturia's website) I set the Keylab to use HUI instead of Mackie protocol, in the 'MIDI Control Center' app.

Now I have full functionality for both DAW control (except for the 'metro' button, which does nothing) and playing VIs.
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies