Old 05-02-2018, 03:02 PM

Default Interleaved session issues

Mac Pro 4,1>5,1
32 GB
2x 3.33 hex core, Hyperthread off using CPU Setter
003R
macOS 10.12.6
PT 2018.4 vanilla

I use templated sessions almost exclusively. When writing the templates, I always check the "Interleaved" box, but the templates never present themselves as Interleaved when called up. Been this way for as long as I can remember (which gets to be a shorter period each day!).

So, when creating new sessions from these templates in 2018.4 I'm accustomed to re-checking the "Interleaved" box again for the new session. I send files to RX 6, work on them and export them from RX back to the PT session audio file. While importing the fixed files back to the PT session I'm presented with the Convert dialogue, which I shouldn't be because the session is supposed to be Interleaved, the files are interleaved and nothing else is different (sample rate, bit depth). Eventually, I checked the Session Setup (Command +2) to find that "Interleaved" is not checked. After checking it in Session Setup, the import file procedure works as usual, offering "Add" as it should.

It appears that checking the "Interleaved" box during initial setup is useless and the only way to actually make the session "Interleaved" is to use the Session Setup (Command +2) routine.

Can anyone confirm or deny?
Old 05-02-2018, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Interleaved session issues

If you’re using RX 6 with Pro Tools you don’t need to export and then re-import back into PT. Use the RX 6 connect audiosuite plugin. Easy back and forth.

I always go by the session setup window for interleaved and non-interleaved. Also. Are the original audio files interleaved or split mono?
Old 05-02-2018, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the reply.

My choice to export/import is a well-considered workflow. I use Connect regularly, but only for touch-ups.

The issue is this - Does the "Interleaved" button on the initial session start menu have any effect at all?

The original files are split. My next step will be to correct the current template by using the Session Setup (Command+2) method.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
Thanks for the reply.

My choice to export/import is a well-considered workflow. I use Connect regularly, but only for touch-ups.

The issue is this - Does the "Interleaved" button on the initial session start menu have any effect at all?

The original files are split. My next step will be to correct the current template by using the Session Setup (Command+2) method.
Maybe they broke it it 2018.4. The initial session parameter should change the overall session setup preference of interleaved or non. However, this preference can be changed at any time while the session is open. Thus allowing you to import both interleaved and non without converting.

I’m curious as to why it actually matter whether you have interleaved or non? If you’re exporting files at the end of the day, that option can be selected on export.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:54 AM

You say that "I'm presented with the Convert dialogue, which I shouldn't be because the session is supposed to be Interleaved." Being presented with a "convert" dialogue bears no relation whether or not the session has the interleaved box checked. The check box only means that new files on stereo tracks created within pro tools or new files imported into Pro Tools with conversion selected will be interleaved. However, regardless of whether or not the interleaved box is checked, it doesn't force you to convert interleaved or non-interleaved files when importing into Pro Tools, and your project will work fine with interleaved or split individual files regardless of whether or not the interleaved box was checked. If you're only seeing a "convert" dialogue as a choice, it's for some reason other than whether or not the interleaved box was checked when creating the project.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:02 AM

It has nothing to do with interleaved or not.
You should check 2 things:
1. Maybe when you are exporting to RX not via Connect, you're doing that with the wrong sample rate.
2. The other thing: when you import, make sure in the preferences that you didn't tick the option that creates NEW files when importing.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Behaves as expected here. I can check the "interleave" box when creating a session from template, and all stereo files created within that session are subsequently interleaved. I do *not* have to check it in session setup too in order for the session to be interleaved (though of course it displays as interleaved if I open the session setup window later).

This is in PT Ultimate HDX 2018.4, OS 10.12.6

Hope that helps,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6

Last edited by Rich Breen; 05-03-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:44 PM

Firstly, thanks all for your replies.

The interleaved issue does cause the "convert" option to be highlighted on import of an RX interleaved file (as opposed to "add") in this workflow because - follow me here - the session is not in fact interleaved despite the fact that it was created from a supposedly interleaved template, and that had interleaved checked during the session creation from that template on the Dashboard.

The Ref Guide confirms that on import to PT, Convert will be offered highlighted if the Interleaved state doesn't match. Yes, I know you don't need to.

The basic issue here is that on no version I can get to without booting to another disc (and that would be 2018.0, 2018.3 and 2018.4) does checking the interleave box in the Dashboard dialogue result in the session actually being interleaved, as indicated by Session Setup (Command+2).

its2loud, you're absolutely right that the Dashboard button is supposed to work; confirmed by RTFM.

The only way I get an interleaved session is to go directly to Session Startup (Command+2) and check interleaved there.

Here's repro case #1 -
Create a session using the Dashboard. Check Interleaved.
Call up Session Setup (Command+2).
Is Interleaved checked? It won't be for me. Ever.

Rich, thanks for your post. Curious that your result is different than mine. Ultimate vs UnUltimate?

Repro case #2 -
Create a template.
Call up Session Setup (Command+2).
Check Interleaved.
Save the template.
Create a session from the template you just made.
Is Interleaved checked in the Dashboard? It is for me.

I know (now) that you can change the Interleaved state at any time in Session Setup. For me, that's the only place that actually "sticks". The Dashboard is broken for me, and has been since PT 8LE, PT 12.x Vanilla and now 2018.x.

I'm also down with the workaround, now that I know it needs to be done.

Carry on....