Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2011, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Something like Heat for LE?

Here's one that gets nothing but praise (also from me) and is sold for only $9.99 as an introduction offer:

http://www.sknote.it/Roundtone.htm

It's VST only but wraps nicely with Fxpansions wrapper. Mac version and a general update that makes it even better to follow shortly.

A thread on GS by the developer in which he is quite responsive to user suggestions:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...roundtone.html
Old 01-19-2011, 04:37 AM

At that price you could hardly go wrong...thanks for the tip!

Old 01-20-2011, 12:43 AM

No, really, you can't go wrong, it's like the bargain of the century
That Roundtone plug-in sounds really really good, has zero latency, is easy on the CPU and very flexible to use.

The new update will bring a mix knob, an oversampling option (~ 100 samples latency), Machine groups A/B/C/D (the same parameters for the whole machine/set of instances) and the option to link to a Machine A/B/C/D (bypassed together with a machine, but independent parameters).
Old 02-01-2011, 11:29 AM

Massey Tapehead is a really elegant sounding plug, but it's best used on several key tracks - it's a little much for the mix buss. It is, to sound cliche, very "phat" and warm - very silky when you don't hit it too hard.

Remember when Charles Dye made Analog Channel famous? I still use it all the time; it's not incredibly apparent track-by-track, but I use AC1 on the primary tracks - kick, snare, guitars, vox, and then I mix through AC1 and 2. Really pretty.

I also mix through Massey's L2007 limiter with the threshold just dropped in by 1%, on the "vibrant" setting. It's a gorgeous limiter. For mastering you'd want to drop the threshold enough to really hear it, but for mixing it's kind of magic in the chain. I like to mix with a tiny bit of limiting as I do a lot of reverberant stuff, and you get less surprises when mastering with how reverb tails in more open spaces get tugged about by a mastering comp. $79, a steal.

Redline Preamp is often used like heat - put it on every channel with subtle settings (console presets). It does really add up, but it's subtle on individual tracks and if you don't use it with some forethought you'll be all "I paid $100 for what??". Not wildly well known, but it's a great way to spend $100...

Magnetic is new but I'm using it often as it has a lot of tweakability. Liking it on bass, female vocals, etc - wide range of settings.

SoundToys' Decapitator is a simply amazing, lush-sounding distortion plugin, but I only find it useable in the first 1-5% of its range - it's more an overt effect than a console sim. That said, they're soon to release a more subtle plugin along these lines and I really do expect greatness.

But overall, the plugs intended to mimic a console's response are a good way to go, when you build them up over a mix. Analog Channel is very very good at this (and their tape simulation is nice on the master). There are more console plugs coming out all the time, so hunt around. AC's been around enough (and has been packaged in enough multi-plug collections) you'll see licenses on eBay; if you get a bundle with Analog Channel LE (Which is just AC2, the tape section) you can upgrade to full AC for like $60 from Waves.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:28 PM

Lightbulb Re: Something like Heat for LE?

Nice i will have to try that one out....thank God for Demo's b/c it allways seems like another $100 bucks after another....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Studer a800 uad plug in

This just recently came out and its quite a contender to heat. It has received glowing review's. If you own a UAD card its $350.

http://www.uaudio.com/store/special-...-recorder.html

later,