Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-04-2008, 08:30 PM

Default ***guitar amp modeling plugins***

Hey ya'll, I started a project a few years ago where I took a LES PAUL, STRAT, and a TELE and recorded dry through the DI on my Presonus ADL600, then line out of my 192I/O into a Radial XAmp and fed quite a few popular guitar amps. I mic'd the cabs with a Shure SM57 and a Royer R121 re-recording back into ProToolsHD. I am going to get back into this project again and will post high-quality MP3's at some point, but it led me to an idea..... There are so many guitar amp-sim plugins out there, most of them are really good. Would anyone here be interested in a line-up of the same exact clip through various plugins, trying to match them up to the same sound as the original amp?

IF so..... please list the plugins YOU are familiar with and would like to hear, that way I can start putting together a request list. Feel free to post here or email me direct: brad@audioandmidi.com -or- brad_lyons@sweetwater.com

I thought this might be useful for others and look forward to diving back into it again.
blyons@gcpro.com
www.theaudioprofessional.com
Old 12-04-2008, 10:30 PM

Default Re: ***guitar amp modeling plugins***

yeah sounds interesting. i just purchased ELEVEN this morning and havent had a chance to give it a fair chance yet.

i am still at a toss up about it. kind of impressed and kind of not yet are either.

something like that would have been very helpful for me a while back might help someone else out though. but would still be very interested in what someone else came up with too.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:54 AM

Cool.....

My take on Eleven is this---it's the best real guitar amp sim on the market. The problem is that there are SO many plugins that have so much added stuff to it that the sounds are very produced, it's easy to like them. But Eleven is more raw, it's less flashy---but that's what I like about it. It's like my take on cheaper microphones these days with those that don't know better. A cheap capsule has a brighter sound usually, and that brightness is often perceived as "clarity"---argh! It's not! Anyway.....

I was emailed about another idea...... I have raw .WAV files I'd be happy to post for anyone who wishes to use them. I'll warn you, they are very boring files---meant to be :)

I recorded these (3) guitars, as mentioned, with various styles of music....and they are just simple clips and rif only several seconds long, but of different styles of music. It's really interesting to hear how a Les Paul Standard sounds through a particular amp for one genre but won't work on another where a Tele through that amp would. I'll see if I can even get some stuff posted this weekend in terms of the raw files.
blyons@gcpro.com
Old 12-05-2008, 04:05 PM

"Eleven is more raw, it's less flashy---but that's what I like about it."
I couldn't agree more. . . better to start with raw amp tones and take from there, or leave them raw so they stand out in the mix. . .
Old 12-05-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post
"Eleven is more raw, it's less flashy---but that's what I like about it."
I couldn't agree more. . . better to start with raw amp tones and take from there, or leave them raw so they stand out in the mix. . .
This is where I think some might try Eleven and not like it---because they expect that glory tone. For example, a great vocal track in a mix might sound like total garbage when solo'd! The same is true for a guitar track, etc. But those that know what they are looking for know how to get it and understand that when they hear it, they hear it. There are (2) plugins I personally have no problems using....ELEVEN and McDSP's CHROME TONE. While there are many others that are really good, that's my preference.
blyons@gcpro.com
Old 12-05-2008, 10:26 PM

Eleven is OK but when I compare amp syms to my real amps the Line 6 stuff still comes much closer to the real thing. For me it's all about the midrange aspect of the sound, as opposed to just crunch and distortion, and eleven just doesn't nail it quite as well. In the end though, it's all about personal preference.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:44 PM

I would be very curious to hear Eleven. For me, the real amps are un-beatable, but if you've been playing a long time, you can dial in some of these pretty well. I couldn't agree more that stuff like Amplitube and GTR Rig are so full of FX, etc that it's much easier to start from scratch on these, rather than use a preset and strip away all the reverb and delays, etc. I have gotten pretty decent results from the older POD's, but the warmth is just not there. Maybe I too should try and record through a clean amp, and go from there. I'll look forward to hearing the results of what you all have done!
PT12.8.x
Old 12-05-2008, 11:35 PM

After several years of "wanting to believe," I have finally arrived at my own conclusion. I can't get too excited about amp simulations anymore. I've used (and still use) a PODxt, a few variations of Amplitube, and NI's Guitar Rig. But I've decided I like the sound of a mic'ed cab better. I prefer to use the digital tools, software or hardware, for sound mangling. I don't like them for anything subtle. I use software to make something completely different so I can mix it in here and there in the background or popping in and out around the cleaner recorded speaker output. And the software isn't usually even amp emulation software. I prefer to use SoundToys or Reaktor, or any number of interesting VSTfx that can be wrapped into the RTAS format. This is how it works best for me, and it's probably more personal preference than anything else. I guess I just can't get excited by how close I can get to someone else's tone from this or that album. If I were engineering other people's product it might be another story. But for me, that's the least important part of the equation. The amp sims don't help me produce the sound I want, at least not very often. They usually get in the way, no matter how much I manipulate the settings. Maybe I lack skill in this regard, I don't know. But for me, it usually comes down to an appropriate amp and guitar, a good and totally engaged-in-the-music player, and an outstanding mic and pre in the signal chain. And, of course, a song worth playing and recording.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:17 AM

Bentley,

I agree with you----personally, I'd rather have a good amp and throw up my Royer and and my Mouse up on the cabinet and record both channels through my ADL600 and a nice compressor. BUT there are times where I just need to get a quick track in or the guitarist has a bad amp, or I need to get a better sound than what was tracked live. THIS is where these plugins are useful to me. And to my clients, not all of them can afford good gear or might be in a place where they can't put in a loud amp let alone buy it all. So to each their own..... but yes, I totally agree with you.
blyons@gcpro.com