Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Fidelity of 001 vs. other Digidesign systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
nathanstack, It would be hard for me to judge without listening to what you are describing. Here is something you can try, play a CD in a CD player and take the analog output and record it into PT the way you would a keyboard. When listing back from PT do you hear the some quality differences between the analog CD output and the PT output that you are describing here? If not I would look elsewhere for your demons.
Yes, this will help you to eliminate a lot of possibilities as to what the issue may be. Do this!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
This is all good advice, but crap preamps and converters means...."crap in, crap out". Your recording(assuming enough engineering skill, which is a must) will only be as good sounding as the worst part of the chain(IOW room acoustics>mic/talent>preamp>converter>plugins/mix settings>converter>amp/speakers and finally back to room acoustics. Great songs were done on ADATs too, but sure don't want to use then anymore
In my opinion the Digi 001 converters are not crap by any mean.I got a multitude of sound interfaces and I can really compare.Of course,while its by no means Apogee or Rme , or even E-mu quality match, its not crap byu any means.
To really have the Digi 001 sound like a crap ,someone ,has got to be clueless.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:28 PM

I had an interesting experience a few years ago recording a cd for my band at the time.

We were an old school rock band, mic'd pretty much everything. Approx 2/3 of the cd (including the basic tracks) was done on my 001/Rosetta AD/RNP/Digimax LT with good but not super high-end mics. We then went to a commercial studio with an HD3 w/ Accel rig to finish it up. The pre's and mics were are all high end (API, Neumann, etc.)

The HD3 tracks did sound better but I thought 001 tracks did very well all things considered. The biggest difference is the 001 tracks had a bit more of an overall cloudy/haze to them but certainly well within reason and you could attribute at least some of that to the room/pres/mics.