Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2009, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE to HD upgrade special: Open discussion

If a person does not like what the company is doing, or satisfying their needs, they not only have a right to express their opinions and but I think they should. The tone represents a historical view of Digi and their not listening very well in the past with not much confidence they will in the future. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right. This is not Obama, you don't like it when people disagree with you, so your only way of dealing with that is to attack you. Lots of that going on today.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-23-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Cariddi View Post
Hi Peter,

I understand your concern about the future of an investment into Pro Tools|HD. The nature of technology is that there will always be new products that take the place of existing ones. This promotion offers an amazing value that will continue to offer benefits for years to come. For example, Pro Tools Mix was released over 10 years ago and is still supported by the latest software version Pro Tools 8.

Tony
So let me get this straight... I can use MIX hardware with Pro tools 8? How!? I thought that ride ended years ago with 6.4.3.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 10-23-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
So let me get this straight... I can use MIX hardware with Pro tools 8? How!? I thought that ride ended years ago with 6.4.3.
The ride *did* indeed end, unless they decided to support it again with PT 7 and 8, which I highly doubt.

I think we're possibly past a point of no return with this upgrade/exchange offer. First off, it's overpriced. *Way overpriced*. Like Barry said earlier, these HD systems can be bought for less than the exchange prices Digi is offering.

I think the best bet is a stand-alone un-crippled native Pro Tools to use with 3rd party hardware. I also think that if Digi is going to continue with a hardware based system, it should either be changed to an ExpressCard interface or even FireWire for that matter. I use a MacBook Pro for the most part, and the extra cash to pay out, for a PCI expansion chassis is utterly ridiculous with the technology we have now.

Pro Tools LE 7.3, 7.4, and 8
Pro Tools M-Powered 7.3, 7.4 and 8
Digi 003R
MBox Original USB
M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge
M-Audio Transit

(3) Metric Halo 2882's 2D +DSP
(1) Metric Halo ULN-2 3D +DSP
Old 10-24-2009, 06:37 AM

I was very surprised that someone from Digi came in and said Pro Tools 8 still supports Mix systems As was said earlier something is definately not sitting right at Digi/Avid for them to be making such major clangers. I love using PTs but I'm very much afraid it's experiencing a slow death. Charging anywhere near this for an HD 'upgrade' in todays market against todays native systems is plain wishful thinking. Unless they come out with a big shock (ie native system with all the usual requested features for a price to properly compete) then it's game over.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:11 AM

Clanger?
Old 10-24-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkiller View Post
wow, this thread has turned into a monster lol. i'm surprised digi hasn't planted some spin or had fake members come in here to try to turn it around and say good things.
Say what you want to about Digi and their pricing/direction/whatever, but they have one of the best forums going. DTS has always been (relatively) fair with posters and they will let you speak their mind... even when it's directed at the company..

I have a lot of respect for that. And for DTS who seem to take it on the chin for something they have little to no control over, yet they keep coming back,,

Cheers!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-24-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul666 View Post
I think we're possibly past a point of no return with this upgrade/exchange offer. First off, it's overpriced. *Way overpriced*. Like Barry said earlier, these HD systems can be bought for less than the exchange prices Digi is offering.
OK now you really have My interest perked.. So again, Just exactly how does one go about doing that ???

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-24-2009, 01:59 PM

I have a question regarding the qualifications for this trade-in.

Can I buy a new Digi 002 or Mbox 2 today, register it at Digidesign, and then qualify for the trade-in to HD program? Or do I need an interface which was registered before some certain date to qualify? I can't seem to find an answer in the LE to HD section of the site.

Thanks.

Simon
Old 10-24-2009, 03:04 PM

My local dealer website says that if You want to make the upgrade You need to be a registered LE user before 1st October 2009. I don't know if its local or a global demand.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz76 View Post
Good question. First post is about PT 8.0.1 being the end of software support for the MBox, Expansion HD, and Power PPC computers.

By the 3rd post "Mix-Era Peripherals" are still supported. This is rather vague, and what does this include? I highly doubt it means they're going to start supporting Pro Tools MIX cards with PT8 after years passing, makes no sense...

Or is my trusty little Original MBox going to be supported in the future?

Pro Tools LE 7.3, 7.4, and 8
Pro Tools M-Powered 7.3, 7.4 and 8
Digi 003R
MBox Original USB
M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge
M-Audio Transit

(3) Metric Halo 2882's 2D +DSP
(1) Metric Halo ULN-2 3D +DSP