Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2009, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE to HD upgrade special: Open discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
From the Windows thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO
Tony,

I just wanted too say thank you to you and Avid for coming here to engage in conversation. We feel all to often that Avid moves without regard to needs of its own customer base.

Hopefully this is signaling the beginning of the end of Avid turning a blind eye to our critical needs (ADC, 64bit and RTAS issues) that year after year go completely ignored.

Again, Thanks.

One of the most important things we can do to ensure our success (yours and ours) is to listen to you, the customer. We understand that participating in conversations like this is essential for heading in the right direction and it is only possible because of your involvement.

Thank you for your support through the years. We are looking forward many many more.

Tony
Old 10-20-2009, 01:38 PM

Well, the release of the new Quadcore iMac 27" should make a lot of LE users very happy?
Not sure about the HD guys.

Up to 16gb of ram.

The natives are restless...

Woof!
OS X 10.6.2
Pro Tools LE 8.01CS1
DVTK2
LOGIC 9.1.1
Old 10-20-2009, 01:50 PM

Hi Musicianista,

Thanks for the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicianista View Post
I have just installed and had PTLE 8 running and after getting my head around the differences between it and HD, I think it is great bang for the bucks.
Thank you– Pro Tools 8 offers a ton of new features and improvements. I am enjoying it as well.

Quote:
Most people don't choose Pro Tools. They have to choose their Pro Tools compromise, after looking thru all the different bells and whistles that they could have if only they spent just a little bit more.
I don't follow you. Why do you believe that people don't choose Pro Tools?

Quote:
Well, the release of the new Quadcore iMac 27" should make a lot of LE users very happy?
Not sure about the HD guys.
New machines with fast processors make everyone happy- LE and HD alike because they all benefit.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devkerr View Post
Truth is, I can do more processing on my LE system with and 8-core MacPro than I ever could with an HD 3—plain and simple.

I would happily upgrade to an HD system if it were actually an upgrade for me.
Hi Devkerr,

Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to know more on why you think that HD no longer represents the highest performance solution. Native processing power has undoubtably improved but the same native processing power available to your LE system running on a fast CPU is also available when you run Pro Tools|HD on that fast CPU.

The difference is that HD gives you an additional DSP engine that ensures peak performance and near zero latency no matter how much you are pushing the host. Pro Tools|HD is the solution for those who need the highest performance regardless of how much you are demanding of the CPU.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote: I don't follow you. Why do you believe that people don't choose Pro Tools?

What I meant was that choosing to use Pro Tools is one thing, but choosing the setup you need/want is usually compromised into the system you can simply afford.

$40k later, my HD rig still bottlenecked and spat out errors, ran out of memory, ran out of cpu power?!?! and gave me more than a few reasons to consider another Accel card, faster Mac etc...
If only I could spend another $10k+ maybe it would be better?
I don't think so.

Meanwhile, my Logic/RME rig on an Intel 24" iMac absolutely boned the HD hands down. Go figure.

I now enjoy the positives of both Logic and Pro Tools without the financial burden of watching an "investment" turn into a liability again.
OS X 10.6.2
Pro Tools LE 8.01CS1
DVTK2
LOGIC 9.1.1
Old 10-20-2009, 02:50 PM

$5000 for ADC is what it comes down to...

I'm happy with my BLA 002...

I'm really happy with my computer...

For $5000 I'd rather buy some mics/pres or put money down on some space...

Logic 9 has lots of nice editing features AND free ADC...
Old 10-20-2009, 04:29 PM

funny that we have this thread started by digi - maybe me thinks digi put this exchange offer out there and not many took the bait orginally, so they are here to promote it a bit more? just wondering ...
Old 10-20-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamDC View Post
I'd have to agree and say that this sort of deal is too little and too late. While people would love to have ADC, I can't see very many people spending $5k just to get it. Many people that are using LE products are using them in home studios and small/medium sized project studios. That sort of cash really isn't in the budget for people like that in most cases.

What would really make me interested in HD? If there was a self contained unit with at least 8 inputs. Something like 8 analog and 8 digital inputs would be nice. It doesn't even need preamps. Just a highish quality converter would do.

There are tons of us out there that do fine with just a Macbook or an iMac. I might be willing to invest $1500-$2000 in a system that I mentioned above. I just don't see many people biting the deal you're currently giving. Not only is $5k still a lot of money but I'd have to spend even more to get a Mac Pro.
Dude, I hear ya.

One point since Digi seems to be listening.

A 192 I/O is worth 1500.00, tops. That should be the everyday street price for a new unit.

You should not put out anything less than an HD2 and it should sell for no more than 2k. Your cards these days can't cost you more than a hundred bucks to make, seriously.

If you took everything down to a reasonable price, you'd have people jumping on this very fast and sell a ton is my guess.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-20-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Cariddi View Post
We won't make any children suffer.

Tony
Like owners of Digi001, Mbox (original), PPC based Mac users, etc.?

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-20-2009, 05:33 PM

Okay, since you're tuned in and listening, I may as well describe my situation in detail:

I have a very fast computer (probably not officially Digi-supported: i7 920 hackintosh OC'd), with a BLA modded 002R...

I like Pro Tools a lot, it's a great program, I'd rather use it than anything else out there.

But I'm using Logic more and more, and considering switching:

*) I have a Euphonix MC Mix that I love... in Logic I can fully use it; in Pro Tools I get "gut4" instead of "Guitar Rhythm 4" on the scribble, and I can't assign sends F-J from it... not to mention the lack of resolution

*) I can use WAY more tracks, plugins, VI's without running into problems in Logic than PT LE

*) I can use my Liquid Mix in Logic; lack of ADC kills it in Pro Tools; ditto for other plugs I like, such as DSM, Redline EQ, etc...

*) I may have a UAD-2 card coming... not a fan of the dongled DSP card... but I want the Fatso plug... which I won't be able to use in PT LE because of the lack of ADC

*) In Logic I don't have to pay extra for artificial track counts

Now both programs are stable for me - Logic's never crashed, and Pro Tools only has a handful of times... I can run with a low enough buffer that I don't notice any latency... although I can go lower in Logic when tracking through guitar sims, because AUs seem to be much more efficient than RTAS.

Things I don't care about: included VIs such as Boom, or included samples in Logic

When it comes down to it, I wonder why I use Pro Tools LE at all - in every thing that matters, Logic works out much better for me.

Only a sense of familiarity and some Massey plugs are keeping tied to Pro Tools LE... I'm most likely going to ditch it completely soon and invest myself completely in Logic.

What Digi(Avid) could do to keep me as a customer:

1) Delay compensation - NOW. Not in a paid update announced in several months... I want a hot-fix TONIGHT!

2) Open up and allow VST/AUs... you may not make as much money licensing RTAS plugs, but they're much more efficient, and you wouldn't lose as many customers

3) Track freeze

4) EuCon integration - no matter how much you don't support other controllers, I'm NOT buying a crappy Command 8 or such

Anyways, it's probably too late, and most of the people over there in charge of decisions like this are probably too busy trying to figure how to get LE users to move to HD... but if you don't want to lose customers like me to Logic for good, these are points to consider....

In conclusion, I like PT's workflow, keys,and GUI more than any other program, but not enough to put up with the crippledness... if you follow these feature requests and the other top ones that have been screamed at Digi for years you could kill the competition...

COME ON DIGIDESIGN!!! Make Pro Tools such an obvious choice that one would be a fool to consider another DAW!