Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 06:40 AM

Default MP3 Option outputing CUT file

I have just encountered a very disturbing problem with my Digidesign MP3 Option. As a long-time Pro Tools user (mainly for commercial film, video, radio feature length and spots), I have relied on MP3 Export and MP3 Option to output files reliably. However, I am currently working on a 58:35 (exactly) radio program, that is delivered via MP3. Upon exporting a recent program, the resulting MP3 always came back as either 58:26 or 58:27 in length. And, when I import the file back in to Pro Tools, or listen to it in iTunes or wherever, the end is cut short. I have tried this with a variety of program material lenghts, all resulting in a shortened MP3 file (some by 1 second, others by 8 seconds, etc... seems dependant on length of original material).

I have trashed preferences, and database files, and done everything short of uninstalling and reinstalling Pro Tools (my next step). I am still able to create my required MP3 files using iTunes without problem. It is just MP3 Option (digidesign) that is giving me problems. As far as my current system, you can see my specs in my signature, and yes, I did upgrade to Tiger and LE 6.9.2., and this could be when the problem occured (also, currently using Quick Time Pro 7).

Any help would be appreciated. I find it disconcerting that this problem exists in a tool I have used with great faith over the years. I always check my resulting output files for quality, etc... but if someone else were not so diligent, they would deliver an MP3 file that plays fine, but cuts off at the end.

Also, I have tried outputing the file to my FW drive and to the internal drive with the same results.

Thanks for the help.

Don Barto, Jr.
Soundriven, Inc.

MBox with 15" 1.5GHz PowerBook, 128 video ram, 1Gig RAM, LaCie fw 60GB pocket drive (7,200rpm) for audio. PTLE 6.9.2 and Mac OS 10.4.2
Old 09-14-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Re: MP3 Option outputing CUT file

No One else experience this? Digi, any ideas? Also, I can output files in other formats (AIFF, SDII, etc...) without problem. Only happens with MP3 Option.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:17 AM
Avid

Here's a couple suggestions:

1. Create a new admin account, sign in under it and try the bounce again.
2. When doing the bounce, are you selecting the length of the bounce in the timeline? If not, try that and see if the behavior changes.
3. Try trashing and reinstalling the MP3 codec located at MacHD>Applications>Digidesign>Pro Tools>Codecs>MP3 - trash the MP3.dll and reinstall from your Pro Tools CD.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:55 AM

Your right! I don't use the mp3 option much, and when I have it seemed to work OK, but I just tried a bounce with a 5 minute session and sure enough the mp3 came up a second or so short. Push that out to an hour's worth of program and I can see where that would be a problem. I'll try DigiSupt's suggestions, but this is for sure one of those glitches for which there isn't much excuse. It should just plain work. And if it doesn't, it should tell you it hasn't. How hard can that be? A simple comparison of source program duration vs. mp3 duration? Ring a big bell if they're different?

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the options. I will try to re-install the MP3 Option later (I do not have the CD with me at the moment). I did not realize that it was possible to uninstall and reinstall MP3 option... thanks for the heads up. As for the timeline, I have always selected the track to export in the timeline. I will also try to create a new administrative account (I only have 1 account- administrator- on my mac. This is after a clean install of the OS and Pro Tools when I performed the upgrade.

I'll keep the group posted as to how I make out.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:26 AM

Glad (I guess) to hear this is not an isolated problem for me. I'll let you know how I make out after trying digi's suggestions. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:51 AM

Also, just to clarify, this is not a BOUNCE TO DISK. I am selecting a single Audio file, and Exporting Selected as File.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:16 AM

Hello!

I discovered exactly the same problems as dbto with my setup (Mbox with PT LE 6.9).
Reinstalling the mp3 option as suggested was not helpful.

Julian
Old 09-15-2005, 09:18 AM

Digi-

any idea on this? Could this be a resultant problem with Tiger, Le 6.9.2, Quick Time 7, latest iTunes combination of some or all?
Old 09-15-2005, 09:28 AM

I don't think it's a Tiger issue - I'm running 10.3.8. with Quicktime 6 and iTunes 4 and never upgraded to tiger.
The first time I had those troubles with the mp3 option was months ago.

Julian