Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2009, 04:19 PM

Default Wow!

I just got off the phone with my digi dealer and he said it would be $5000 smackers to do the crossgrade from PCI to PCI E for my HD accel 2. Wow! I was under the assumption that it would be about half that price. This is the first time I have looked into this since we are cornered on PPC machines. Wow. Expletives. Wow. He also said something about an offer Digi was having that just ended. He is looking into that and I will receive more info tomorrow. Has anyone else heard of a cheaper way to do this? Maybe I should buy digi 003 and do an HD upgrade or something? What would make this cheaper? Digi, can you offer us a reasonable crossgrade price so a large portion of us can switch to more powerful machines and be eligible for future software updates? I know Apple is involved as well. I am all for moving forward with technology and am well aware of its value. However, 5000 bucks is a steep cliff that I cannot jump off right now.

Any information appreciated.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by music View Post
I just got off the phone with my digi dealer and he said it would be $5000 smackers to do the crossgrade from PCI to PCI E for my HD accel 2. Wow! I was under the assumption that it would be about half that price. This is the first time I have looked into this since we are cornered on PPC machines. Wow. Expletives. Wow. He also said something about an offer Digi was having that just ended. He is looking into that and I will receive more info tomorrow. Has anyone else heard of a cheaper way to do this? Maybe I should buy digi 003 and do an HD upgrade or something? What would make this cheaper? Digi, can you offer us a reasonable crossgrade price so a large portion of us can switch to more powerful machines and be eligible for future software updates? I know Apple is involved as well. I am all for moving forward with technology and am well aware of its value. However, 5000 bucks is a steep cliff that I cannot jump off right now.

Any information appreciated.
Maybe call another dealer... if $5000 is the list price, you would probably see it being sold for around $2700~$3200... which is what a few people in other threads have said their upgrade cost was. If your dealer is charging you list price for the upgrade, you should try to find another dealer!

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 12-21-2009, 04:26 PM

A lot of guys just buy used mix cards, then trade those up for the PCIe and sell their PCI HD cards.

Prices fluctuate a lot so these might be off by a few hundred, but generally used mix cards can be bought for around $300-350. Your used HD core should sell for around $1500-2000, the accel farm should sell for around $1000
Old 12-21-2009, 04:38 PM

It's showing $2795 on their most current crossgrade price list:

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/news/d...n_08_43705.pdf

Macbook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OS 10.9.5
ProTools 12.7.1.733
Mbox2 PT 10.2

Scott Whittier
Whittier Creative
http://www.madmix.com/
www.voice123.com/scottwhittier
Old 12-21-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anodecathode View Post

2 years old?
Old 12-21-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anodecathode View Post

This seems to be 2008 list. I don't know about US but here in EU the current list price for HD2 accel to HD2 accel PCIe is 1975 eur + VAT
Old 12-21-2009, 05:58 PM

Anyone know any good dealers in Texas?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:25 PM

Call Ron Shelton at GC Pro in Houston. Tell him Manny from Austin referred you. Ron is a great guy with real good pricing.

His contact info:

[email protected]

(713) 952-9070

Hope this helps.

-m