Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2009, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Why on earth would an update 8.0.3 not be powerpc comp

Hey man yeah I just read your other post haha.
I do the delete pref thing on a regular. i have all my plugs up to date and all work great.
As far as the bugs here are just a few that we have

This one I HATE
Zoom toggle and track heights (Item #117443)
OS/Platform: All Area: Zoom Toggle After using Zoom Toggle, changing the track height of one track was adjusting all tracks, making it appear as if a Group was enabled. This no longer occurs.

Pro Tools could crash after using the Shift+S shortcut to solo

Automation doesn't follow when creating a fade with the smart tool

MIDI editor zooming

Improved horizontal scrolling with track balls and Apple Mighty Mouse (Item #119003) OS/Platform: Mac/All Area: Scrolling
Optimized scrolling speed and performance with track balls and Apple Mighty Mouse. The scroll speed is now more consistent with using the right/left arrow buttons in Pro Tools.

UI stuttering in the Edit window rulers when using Continuous Scrolling or Center Playhead when session contains any type of video track

When locking regions in a region group, locking regions behavior is not working correctly (Item #113377)

Granted all of these don't happen everyday all the time but they do happen quite a bit. These should be fixed before I am left behind because they are seriously screwing with my workflow.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:43 PM

Yeah, those should be implemented in an 8.0.2!!!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:01 PM

Those as well as all the rest of the FIXES should be implemented into an 8.0.2 for us PPC users.
Once again No new features, (although they would be nice)
Just the Fixes to make work right what you sold me on when I bought 8.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:46 PM

Makes me feel nostalgic for the 001 and 6.4
Now thats how you leave a legacy
Old 12-18-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AURORA4DTH View Post
Those as well as all the rest of the FIXES should be implemented into an 8.0.2 for us PPC users.
Once again No new features, (although they would be nice)
Just the Fixes to make work right what you sold me on when I bought 8.
Turn on the flood lights.

Can there be any wonder why so many natives are restless?

Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 AM

I would like to contribute to this thread...

As an early adopter of PT (422/Studio Vision Pro, 24|Mix, HD3) I am very concerned that Digi has left a loyal user such as myself out to dry.

Currently I operate 7.1cs10 on OS 10.4.6 (Tiger) which has served me well since I upgraded to HD3 (PCI-X) in early 2005. I use a Power Mac G5/2.0 dual/4.5 MB RAM. The system is very stable, except when you introduce ReWire or use NI VI’s (Kompakt) into any project. I work around that fine.

The crossgrade issue regarding the exorbitant price to exchange PCI-X to PCI-e is a whole another topic to be addressed... but not here.

I am now looking to upgrade to v.8 (I am a heavy MIDI user) since it has been out for a while and has a chance for some bug fixes to be implemented.

I can deal with Digi cutting off PPC support (EOSS) at some time of their choosing... that is inevitable. But the choice of ending it NOW is wrong and unfair to the many PPC adopters of v.8. The bug list fixed up to 8.0.2cs is fine, but to cut off bug fixes within the SAME VERSION (no additional features) is not fair to the PPC users of v.8. As PPC users we should be included up to the next MAJOR upgrade... which would be a paid upgrade to, say, 8.1 or 8.2, or other future versions. Since PT 8.0.2 has many bugs that were fixed in 8.0.3, and yet 8.0.3 is still compatible with Leopard it should be included for Mac PPC support.

At the end of the day, v.8.0.x cs(x) should be supported up to the next major release which may or may not include support for Leopard.

Digi, please look into this... you owe it to the many loyal users and customers of Digi products.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lyon View Post

The crossgrade issue regarding the exorbitant price to exchange PCI-X to PCI-e is a whole another topic to be addressed... but not here.
I think it should be mentioned here. If digi does not give us the fixes for PPC then we will all need to move to Intel in order to receive them.

The new exchange program should be, you send in your old cards, pay for shipping both ways, and they send you the Intel cards back at no charge. I understand Apple is partially to blame but after years and years of giving 10's of thousands of dollars to digi, this crossgrade should be free (minus shipping of course).

I can dream right?
Old 12-18-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music View Post
I think it should be mentioned here. If digi does not give us the fixes for PPC then we will all need to move to Intel in order to receive them.

The new exchange program should be, you send in your old cards, pay for shipping both ways, and they send you the Intel cards back at no charge. I understand Apple is partially to blame but after years and years of giving 10's of thousands of dollars to digi, this crossgrade should be free (minus shipping of course).

I can dream right?
it certainly would be a great move to improve their reputation.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
The fact is, in the last 8 years, it's taken Digi AT LEAST one year to get a solid build out of a release.

7.4 is that build. And it works great on G5's.

To say the G5 doesn't run PT8 as well is pretty obvious.
I agree that 7.4 is the best build for Power PCs. No reason to update to 8.x unless you are prepared to spend $$ on a new SL Intel machine + the Digi PCIe exchange.

Macbook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OS 10.9.5
ProTools 12.7.1.733
Mbox2 PT 10.2

Scott Whittier
Whittier Creative
http://www.madmix.com/
www.voice123.com/scottwhittier
Old 12-18-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music View Post
The new exchange program should be, you send in your old cards, pay for shipping both ways, and they send you the Intel cards back at no charge. I understand Apple is partially to blame but after years and years of giving 10's of thousands of dollars to digi, this crossgrade should be free (minus shipping of course). I can dream right?
If Digi did that they would be in legal hot water by all those who did the swap out for the exorbitant fee... they should have done what you said from the start...