Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2004, 01:59 PM

Default recording audio from minidisc

howdy
now...i am a complete beginner with the whole mbox/protool thing. i have field recordings on minidisc and wish to edit them on protools but i can't get the audio through my mbox! as i am a complete amateur i am not completely down with the correct lingo and all! i am currently attaching my minidisc to mbox with a 3.5mm stereo plug to 2 rca plugs but no audio is coming through on the selected tracks. if anyone has some helpful advice on how to get things working so i can get creating i would be soooooo thankful!!
Old 01-13-2004, 02:43 PM

Default Re: recording audio from minidisc

Hi and welcome

you have obviously connected the ANALOG headponejack your your minidisc with the DIGITAL RCA inputs
od th MBOX. that´s not gonna work!
The RCA are in socalled S/PDIF format. See the manual of yout minidisc if it has a S/PDIF out (some have) these you can connect with a special wire called something like "balanced digital audio coax" and has a specification of 75ohms/meter (NORMAL RCA wires WILL WORK but don´t expect anything)

If your minidisc does not have a digital out get some TRS 1/8" (3.5mm/stereo) to two mono TRS1/4" (6.3mm) adapters to plug into the TRS jacks in the bottom of your MBOX, the BIG ONES.
Not the inserts.

If you want to record in ProTools you need to create an AUDIO track and press the small red button to enable it (when in the MIX window) for recording /monitoring otherwise you wont hear and record anything when you hit the record button in the transport window.

I hope this helps

regs

sorry guys got those TRS confused!
Old 01-19-2004, 01:17 AM

hiya regs

thanks for your advice...just checked your post again and saw that you have edited it. i fitted some TRS 1/4" inserts on to my RCA cable. it registered that there was sound but didn't playback and the system kept crashing on me! will try your next suggestion tomorrow after a visit to the electronic shop!

thanks again!
Old 01-19-2004, 03:05 AM

HI I also suggest you read your "getting started wiht MBOX Manual"

esp.p27 to 37. there are all I/O explained.

why keeps you system Crashing?

regs