Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2010, 10:55 AM

Default Third Party Hardware NOT Compatible With Pro Tools 9

I was at AES last week and I heard it mentioned that there were a handful of third party hardware that had some issues with Pro Tools 9. Not that they were completely incompatible, but rather that they had a few issues. I also seem to remember that someone from Digidesign chimed in here last week in one of the many threads about Pro Tools 9 and said roughly the same thing, but I can't find that post now. In any case, can someone from Digidesign point me to a list of the hardware that was found to have issues with Pro Tools 9? Thank you.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Third Party Hardware NOT Compatible With Pro Tools 9

I've found that the Alesis Multimix 8 doesn't appear to work. Even with the drivers from Alesis.

Just an fyi
Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core, 14gigs of ram
Macbook Pro w/Retina Display, 2.3Ghz i7, 16gigs of ram
Old 11-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Avid

We're compiling a list and should have something shortly.

I believe the Air Users Blog has some customer reports of what's working (or not) as well.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:45 PM

Hello. Thank you, I'll keep an eye out for that.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:26 AM

Hi there,

I recently bought Pro Tools 9 as it was proudly promoted to work with third party interfaces, but I've had problems using it with a Behringer UCA 222 interface. According to Behringer it should be compatible, but I have issues with the I/O settings.... in the playback engine, 2 USB Audio CODECS are visible, when in fact there's only 1??? So only one can be selected, but that results in either only the input, or output, (not both!), being selected in the I/O settings... has anybody else had this issue, is it a non-compatible problem, or is there something I've done wrong.

I must add that if Pro Tools isn't truly compatible with third party interfaces, then I'll feel like I've been had.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 AM

No. PT9 will NOT work with EVERY hardware interface. The interface must meet the ASIO standard for Windows and the Core audio standard for Mac.

From the What's New pdf:

"Support for Core Audio hardware (including Mac built-in audio) with supported Core Audio drivers installed.
Support for ASIO hardware with supported ASIO drivers installed"

Nowhere you you see the statement that PT9 will work with EVERY interface ever made. I could come out tomorrow with an interface and say it will work. But that doesn't mean it really will.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 AM

What he said^^^ and do check out www.airusersblog.com as Russ is compiling a list of hardware that has been proven to either work, or NOT work and any other info that's available. Its a great resource and worth a modest donation too(the videos are well worth it).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM

I discovered this weekend that my Saffire Pro 26 I/O would not work with PT 9 due to the inability to set the exact number of buffers so that the hardware is recognized by PT 9. It uses latency values instead and these do not map to the exact buffer settings in PT 9. I found information on the Focusrite support site that confirms this.

Their recommendation is to use ASIO4ALL. I tried, but I could not get ASIO4ALL to work with the Saffire Pro 26 either. I didn't have a lot of time to chase the problem, so for now, I am not using the Saffire.

Focusrite indicated they hoped to provide a driver update in the future that would address this. I was disappointed that I can't use this interface with PT. This may or may not be true for other older members of the "original" Saffire interface series.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddern View Post
I must add that if Pro Tools isn't truly compatible with third party interfaces, then I'll feel like I've been had.
I'm very torn on this whole concept...

On one hand, I think it's great that Avid has opened up the platform and I'm looking forward to using it with my Metric Halo interface, but on the other hand the idea that my substantial investment dollars are being used to secure compatibility with every consumer/prosumer hardware nightmare is not very appealing.

I think that digi should change their marketing to something like this:

Quote:
"PT9 supports selected 3rd party interfaces that meet Avids' strict standards for compatibility and reliability"
. This would be accompanied by a current list of supported 3rd party interfaces.

Digi was always very specific about what systems are supported...I don't see why that needs to change now.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:10 PM

+1 very well said.