Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 01-08-2022, 10:58 AM

Default MTRX Studio & AES Outputs

Hi all- I'm in the process of upgrading from my trusty old HD I/O to either MTRX Studio or "full-fat" MTRX. I really like the form factor of the MTRX Studio, as well as the meters, headphone outs and built-in mic pres (I know I can achieve all of that with the MTRX but it would require a ton of modular upgrades).

However my one big issue with the MTRX Studio is the lack of "traditional" digital outputs. I've got a Genelec 7360/8341 2.1 setup and would really like to go AES in rather than analog. With my HD I/O it's a simple one cable solution from interface to speaker. After much research I believe the only way to do this with the MTRX Studio would be either an expensive ADAT to AES box, or possibly a Dante to AES adapter- but I believe there are sample rate limitations with both of these possibilities.

I want to make sure I'm making the right decision/investments. Am I missing something? Any and all help/insight would be very much appreciated!

Josh
Old 01-08-2022, 11:09 AM

Default Re: MTRX Studio & AES Outputs

Your Genelec 7360/8341 only go up to 96k (you may not have known this but you can check with Genelec)
The Dante AVIO AES goes up to 96k.

So no real problem
Old 01-08-2022, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the reply BScout. Although according to the 7360 manual the digital audio input sample rate range is 32-192kHz. For now anyway it's a bit of a moot point- as I rarely do any audio work above 48kHz. I just kind of like knowing I could- as well as trying my best to "future-proof" my setup for evolving workflows/sample rates.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:58 PM

The Genelecs internally resample incoming digital signal to 96kHz at max. So even if you feed it 192k, it is processing only at 96k. (It's actually a little bit more complicated than that as the different drivers actually operate at lower sample rates so I say 96k but that's really for the tweeter. Which makes sense! There is no point processing at 192k for a subwoofer that only goes to 200Hz -- same for other drivers.)

If you want to be independent of sample rates, feed them analogue. Analogue or digital, it is being resampled when it gets into the Genelec. And the MTRX converters are very clean. There are some systems that do not resample digital signal (the Dynaudio Core speakers do not resample and operate at the input sample rate.) The Genelecs always resample any incoming signal.
Old 01-08-2022, 01:20 PM

Ahh gotcha- thanks for the clarification. Do I also recall reading that the Dante AVIO adapter would do SRC on it's way from the MTRX into the Genelecs? I'm trying to avoid too many layers/levels of conversions.
Old 01-08-2022, 03:08 PM

I went the full fat MTRX partly because had better and more flexible digital connectivity.

You can read my run down and reasoning here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...y-to-avid-mtrx

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 01-08-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkbacksound View Post
Ahh gotcha- thanks for the clarification. Do I also recall reading that the Dante AVIO adapter would do SRC on it's way from the MTRX into the Genelecs? I'm trying to avoid too many layers/levels of conversions.
No SRC from the AVIO
It stays locked to the sample rate of the Dante network. Very few devices have SRC for Dante. (Like even on the full MTRX, you need the 128 channel Dante slot-card for SRC. The 64 channel Dante add-on module doesn’t)
Old 01-11-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkbacksound View Post
…would be either an expensive ADAT to AES box
I’ll challenge that needs to be expensive, well define expensive, but the RME ADI-192DD is a very nice and flexible ADAT to/from AES/EBU box that you should be able to pick up used for $600 to $800. I recently got two of those, one of which actually appeared unused in its original box. One from the USA, one from Europe. Ignore the starry eyed folks advertising these at list price. RME discontinued them, new gen products were mentioned a few years ago and not delivered, and who knows if they ever will arrive but these old boxes are just great (and I need sample rate conversion which they do). If you look around you might find the older ADI-8DD (no SRC, no 192kHz) for even less.

And yes I know about the DAD DX32R and that seems great to pair with a MTRX studio, but these used RME boxes are lower-cost if all you want is ADAT to AES.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-11-2022 at 11:33 AM.