Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2002, 06:53 PM

Default printing tracks w effects

i have one track with a bit of effects on that i want to bounce so i quit using all the cpu power its hogging.
whats the best way to do this?

i selected the track and bounced it. then reimported it onto a new track and deleted the track with all the plugins. is that the best or only way?
Old 10-12-2002, 09:15 PM

Default Re: printing tracks w effects

Set up a buss on the track you have the audio and the FX on,,create a new track,,set the input to the same buss,,hit record on the new track,check your levels,,then if its all good to go rcord your track,,
Old 10-12-2002, 09:34 PM

duh. sorry....my brain was detached. thanks for the help uiop.
do you (others too) do this alot when mixing?
Old 10-12-2002, 09:55 PM

Yeah I've been wondering about this.. I don't really understand it. Would love any explanation in the slightest. Bussing is weird [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] haha
Old 10-14-2002, 05:38 AM

Why not process it through audiosuite? Am I missing your point?
Old 10-14-2002, 07:10 AM

If it's only 1 plugin you're bouncing, and you have the equivalent audiosutie plugin, what I usually do is duplicate the playlist and then apply the plugin. This way I can easily go back to my original to compare or tweak. If you're bouncing with a bus, you can also make a new playlist and then drag the processed file onto your original track. this just consolidates the number of tracks you are using. Always remember to rename your regions though, so you have, GTR-Raw, GTR+REVERB, etc. It makes it much easier to find originals.
http://www.1011productions.com
Old 10-14-2002, 01:26 PM

I'm unning a G4 400 so my system sets very tight limitations,,for this reason i nearly always print my FX,,i use the "UNCLE MURRY" method and i cant stress enough how important it is to lable every thing and keep a tidy session.
GET UP KIDS,,bussing is when you take the AUDIO from one track and route it to another inside the mixer,,in protools you have to do this if you want to print any FX that dont have an A-S equivilent.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:58 PM

GETUPKIDS-as mentioned, bussing will send audio from one track to another. So in this example, the RTAS effects (which are now overlayed on the audio) will be "printed" or written to a new track... thereby eliminating the effects overlay and saving processing power. You won't, however, be able to go back and change the effect... it'll permanently alter the audio of the track.

So think of a bus as an "internal" output. Instead of audio going OUT to your speakers, it's routed internally to a new track. A good example of how this can be used is if you had 5 tracks that you wanted to apply the exact same RTAS effect to. You simply set the "output" of each track to a bus (doesn't matter which number), and create a new track with the "input" set to the same bus #. You'd then apply the effect to this new track and voila... the effect would be applied to all tracks at once. The same idea holds true if you wanted to make a "submix" of these 5 tracks and write them all to a single track.

Hope that helps.