Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-10-2000, 06:52 PM

Default System Sound through Digi, Help!!!

Well I've searched through all the old messages here looking for some answers and nothing has worked. For some reason I can't get any mac system sounds routed through the digi, no alerts or anything. I even put the beta driver in with no luck. Digidesign is an option in the Sound Managers Output menu but it just doesn't do anything. Is there something I'm overlooking here???

thanks
Chris
Old 05-11-2000, 07:55 AM

Default Re: System Sound through Digi, Help!!!

Someone must know how to do this!?!?

thanks
Chris
Old 05-11-2000, 08:54 AM
Avid

You may have an extension conflict. Open the Extensions Manager Control Panel. From the selected set pop-up menu, select “OS 8.x base” click on “Duplicate Set" at the bottom of the window and name the set whatever you like. Scroll down and enable the DigiSystem INIT, Digidesign DSP Manager, Digidesign Output drivers, the Open Music System Extension and restart.
Open the Sound Control Panel and hightlight the Digidesign icon in the Sound Output window. This is all that needs to be done in order to route system sounds out to your Digi001. If you are still having no luck with the beta Output driver extension, try reverting to version 1.4.

Brent
Old 05-11-2000, 07:03 PM

Well I tried everything you said and still no sound. One thing I didn't mention before was that I'm running OS 9.0.4

Another thing I noticed while trying to trouble shoot this problem is that my Monitor Mode doesn't work. I have 6 channels from my sampler going into my mackie then the main outs of the mackie go into inputs 3&4 of Digi. I'm definately getting sound into the mixer but nothing makes it to the monitors connected to the Digi.

Could these two problems be connected??

Thanks for your help,
Chris
Old 05-13-2000, 11:22 AM

I have a related question on sound issues since installing the Digi hardware/software into my G4 450. I recently tried to listen to a regular CD using AppleCD Audio Player. I install the CD and AppleCD Audio Player recognizes the CD but when hitting the play button, nothing happens.

Is there any conflict with the Digi software/extensions that may be causing this? The drive in my G4 is a DVD RAM and it will play a DVD movie through the Digi giving me sound from my Mackie HR 824's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Paul
Old 05-13-2000, 05:02 PM

crowdog,

Thanks for your reply. I'll try a search as you have suggested. Regarding your idea of connecting from the back of the Mac to the inputs of the Digi unit, I would try that but AppleCD Audio Player is not even starting up the CD whe hitting play. If it was solely that the sound wasn't being heard, your idea might suffice. My issue is that it won't start playing at all.

Regards,

paul
Old 05-14-2000, 12:01 AM

paul - there are many posts concerning this subject if you use the search function. My understanding is that you can't run the apple CD player through the digi h/w unless you have the retro CD software (i'm not sure of the link,but it'll come up under search) or you but a cheap 1/8" to stereo TRS adapter and run it from the back of the mac to 2 inputs on the digi001 - which is what I do & it works great.
Hope this helps!

crow
Old 05-14-2000, 05:32 PM

Hey Paul - I didn't know what you meant! Is the little audio CD icon on your desktop? If so, does it open when you click on it & does the Apple CD player come up? I find the apple player a little bass ackwards in that when you click play (> ) in the transport it pauses the cd & when you hit pause (=) it plays! Maybe it's as simple as this (hopefully) if not, I'm not sure what else to tell you as you're already thinking the extension angle.
Good Luck,
crow
Old 05-16-2000, 12:31 AM

crowdog,

Thanks again for the reply. Yes, the CD mounts on the desktop and will open if I double click on it. AppleCD Audio Player will register that there is a CD to be played but it just doesn't want to function. After searching the archives, I found out about Retro CD and I tried it and it works! I'll send the guy his $10 and just go this route until Apple or Digi figures out how to eliminate the conflict.

Regards,
Paul
Old 05-16-2000, 12:54 AM

Hey Paul,

Another possible (and free) solution (if I've understood your problem), is to download a free player like SoundJam.

I use it for mp3s and CDs, and have no problem running the signal trough my 001.

EC