Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 08-30-2002, 07:33 PM

Default LINKING TRACKS FOR STEREO

I need the easiest way to link two tracks in the mixer for stereo mixing.whats the easiest way to do this on ptle 5.3.1?

when i imported the audio tracks they were scattered.so i need to put the stereos in the order that is supposed to be for stereo mixing purposes.

thanks guys.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:01 PM

Default Re: LINKING TRACKS FOR STEREO

You may want to ask your question in the Pro Tools LE forum as this is the TDM forum.

Nonetheless, the info you need is in chapter 8 of your manual under "grouping Tracks"...probably worth a read.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:39 PM

Actuslly, grouping may or may not be the best way to approach this.

But to answer your question, to link stereo tracks, you should first create a new stereo track, then in the edit bin, select the two tracks of your stereo pair(shift click). then drag them together into the new stereo track; voila, a stereo track.

Cheers [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2002, 11:46 PM

Sorry, what I meant to say was:

Actually, grouping may or may not be the best way to approach this.

But to answer your question, to link stereo tracks, you should first create a new stereo track; then in the edit bin, select the two REGIONS of your stereo pair(shift click), and drag them together into the new stereo track. Voila! A stereo track.

And FWIW, this info can be found in CHAPTER 17 of your manual.
Old 08-31-2002, 12:02 AM

thanks GUY AND CARBON.
man i was looking in chapter 8 but could not find any yet.so look in chapter 17 ha?
anyways,i was helped once to make a stereo track and it worked,but it was a lengty procees.something like click tree times to highlight and drag it to the desired track for stereo.i forgot the process.
if you dont mind guys and if you have the time to guide me on this would be appriciated.i am not being lazy about the manual.i looked at the manual but i guess i need time for that.
well,i use other multitracks too,and i just got into protools 3 weeks ago.in the other mixers all you do is drag the track to the desired location and simply link them by the link button and thats it.

i have 11 songs that i am working on and all of them from pads,piano,strings chords etc are stereo,so i need to link em for sure for mixing.so if yuo have the time its appriciated and if you dont still is.

thanks.
Old 08-31-2002, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Staley:
And FWIW, this info can be found in CHAPTER 17 of your manual.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Doh!
Sorry...TDM manual is chapter 8: "Tracks".

As I said before Levon, you'll probably get better help in the LE Forum but if you ask something I actually know I'd be glad to help. My PT experience is mainly PT Free and a very short time (so far) with a PT MIX TDM system.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:01 AM

I agree, go to the PTLE forum where you will avoid confusion based on differences.

That said, and assuming TDM works the same way, a so-called 'Stereo Track' is the same thing as a two track group, but much quicker to set up and deal with (don't have to define them as a group or name them L and R, they automatically edit, move, solo, and mute as a unit without having to select the group under varying circumstances, etc.).

So, I think what you want to do is create a stereo track called (eg) guitar, copy the two files into this new track, line them up, and then delete the old mono tracks (you don't have to delete, but they will use resources). If the two are already identical in starting position and length, just move them to the very beginning of the new track so they are together, and move them around in the song as a pair AFTER that.