Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2008, 02:18 PM

Default Disk Allocation settings in Template sessions

So how does one configure the Disk Allocation settings in a Template Session so that, when you DO create NEW sessions from the template, the tracks are automatically set to record to the folder of said new session?

I inadvertently had a template set up and doing that for a good while, but then it suddenly stopped (now I have to go into each new session and re-direct the allocation to the new project folder).

So how must things be set to allow for this again? Or was it all a crazy dream? A nutty fantasy!

Hoping to bring the magic back,
E
Old 07-23-2008, 02:48 PM

The best way to use a template is to not open it when you start a new session. Instead, create your new session on your audio drive and save/open it and then use IMPORT SESSION DATA and point to the template session. This will put your audio files where they belong.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-23-2008, 05:19 PM

Sorry to quote myself from this old thread , but this method works for me.

(It's also essentially the same on the Mac, you just need to select "Stationary Pad" at section 4).

Quote:
Hope this doesn't sound too condescending but this whole issue of templates comes up time and again, and even Digidesign haven't really managed to address the issue even in their Accelerated Videos that are supposed to demonstrate how to make a template - it only tells half the story.

The "Import session data" method doesn't really work for me because I like to have my tracks colour coded, re-sized and some of them hidden which "Import session data" wont do.

I also don't like having to navigate my way through that dialogues mini browser (from a different starting point each time) just to find the session I want to import from, and then ticking more boxes etc when I've located it.

I do have a template that only has various pre-configured "channel strips" in it that I do use just for the purpose of "Import Session Data" if needed, but over the years I've developed a slightly different method that, whilst it sounds very long winded to explain / set up, is infact by far the fastest method I've used.

CREATING THE TEMPLATE :

1. Build a new session as per normal and get it set up just how you like it - My templates for example have tracks named, colour coded, re-sized, routed, spare / optional tracks de-activated and hidden. All the I/O, Busses and Hardware Inserts are named with alternate assignments ready made but de-activated. There are Talk-back and headphone mix matrixes set-up and ready, the Zoom settings have been configured, the grid resolution has been set, some groups have been assigned and a variety of memory locations have been set up to show various track configurations / pre-roll amounts etc.

2. a) go to "Save copy in..." and navigate to the top of your C: drive (the reason being that if you forget to do stage 4 or at a later date you modify the template then forget to do stage 4 and mess up the disk allocation of the template you wont have to look far for any misplaced audio files, and every computer has a C: drive).

b) some of my templates contain audio files such as a 2 pop and a 3 beep. If your session contains audio, name the session and skip to c). If your session does not contain any audio files you now need to create a folder with the same name as your session and browse into this new folder.

c) in the "Items to copy" section of the dialogue, tick the "All Audio Files" box.

d) hit save.

3. Close PT and navigate into your new Template folder at the top of the C: drive.

4. DO NOT LAUNCH / OPEN THE TEMPLATE . Right click on the session icon and select properties, tick the "Read Only" box and apply the changes.

5. On my desktop I have a folder that contains my various session templates, and shortcuts to my audio drives (no doubt you have something similar). Cut the folder containing your new template from the top of your C: drive and paste it into your desktop "session templates" folder.

USING THE TEMPLATE :

6. Copy the new template folder from your desktop "session templates" folder and paste it into your audio drive.

7. Single click on the new template folders name and re-name it with your projects name, before you hit enter / return select the name you just typed and Ctrl C to copy it. Now hit enter / return twice.

8. Double click on the session icon to launch PT / the session.

9. During launch the "Disk Allocation" dialogue will pop up (This was why it was so important to not launch / open the template at stage 4 - so that disk allocation would be correctly set for the templates new location). "No" is already selected so just hit enter / return.

10. When the session has finished launching, go to "Save" and hit Ctrl V to paste the sessions name into the dialogue, then hit enter / return.

Like I said, sounds long winded but is infact incredibly quick once your set.

Hope that helps folks in the future,

Cheers!
Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:12 PM

That's not the correct procedure for a Mac.
Digi explained the proper method a long time ago.

You create the template session and save it, you then drag it to the Dock when you want to use it.
PT will then bring up a dialog asking if you want to use that session or open a new version of that session.
You tell it new and your template remains unharmed.

Some past post about templates

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...ight=drag+dock

Should help you see the method
Old 07-24-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI View Post
That's not the correct procedure for a Mac.

I'm not talking about the old stationary pad method, that died with os9. If you try the method I outlined you'll see it's actually very fast and reliable.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
I'm not talking about the old stationary pad method, that died with os9. If you try the method I outlined you'll see it's actually very fast and reliable.
So you are saying that you have used the recommended drag to the Dock method under OS9?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI View Post
So you are saying that you have used the recommended drag to the Dock method under OS9?
No! No I'm not saying that at all.

You used to be able to just launch the stationary pad template and it would ask if you wanted to edit the stationary pad or make a new copy. You would select new copy, and a new session would be built based on the stationary pad, with correct disk allocation.

When OSX came out, Apple for whatever reason had changed that behavior and stationary pads were useless from that point of view, just useful as an overwrite protection.

That & the fact that there was no decent method on Windows systems was why I developed my method (for all the reasons mentioned re: import session data) and I've had no reason to change it - I only found out about the drag to dock method a while ago, but I've yet to try it and as far as I can tell, it has no real advantages to my way of working which is cross platform compatible.

Hope that clears the confusion up.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
No! No I'm not saying that at all.

You used to be able to just launch the stationary pad template and it would ask if you wanted to edit the stationary pad or make a new copy. You would select new copy, and a new session would be built based on the stationary pad, with correct disk allocation.

When OSX came out, Apple for whatever reason had changed that behavior and stationary pads were useless from that point of view, just useful as an overwrite protection.

That & the fact that there was no decent method on Windows systems was why I developed my method (for all the reasons mentioned re: import session data) and I've had no reason to change it - I only found out about the drag to dock method a while ago, but I've yet to try it and as far as I can tell, it has no real advantages to my way of working which is cross platform compatible.

Hope that clears the confusion up.
Actually my point was that Digi recommended dragging the Stationary to the Dock after the release of OSX to get it to prompt you.