Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Pro Tools Express on Mac OS X

Old 08-10-2013, 04:12 PM

Default Mbox Mini (3) Upgrade options ...

I just bought and rev.3 Mbox mini. I'm expecting it on Wednesday:

Is the bundled version of PT Express a scaled down version of an up to date version of PT 10 or 11, or not?

What is the correct price for an upgrade to PT 11 based on ownership of the new Mbox Mini (3)?

Is a new iLok key included in the box? If so is there any need to use it if I already have a registered iLok in use?

Thanks for the help.

-paul.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Mbox Mini (3) Upgrade options ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfigg View Post
I just bought and rev.3 Mbox mini. I'm expecting it on Wednesday:

Is the bundled version of PT Express a scaled down version of an up to date version of PT 10 or 11, or not?

What is the correct price for an upgrade to PT 11 based on ownership of the new Mbox Mini (3)?

Is a new iLok key included in the box? If so is there any need to use it if I already have a registered iLok in use?

Thanks for the help.

-paul.
See http://www.avid.com/US/common/produc...ols-comparison

It depends on what you re doing but to many users Express is a very scaled down/restricted version of Pro Tools. Pro Tools Express may well be all you need, but you need to look at the product comparison link above.

Information on Pro Tools crossgrades/upgrades are here http://shop.avid.com/store/product.d...25865714841120

Pro Tools express crossgrades are $499.

There should be an iLok2 included with Express. You will need an iLok2 (not a first generation one) to run Pro Tools 11. The iLok should be preauthorized for Pro Tools Express, I'm not sure why you would not just want to use that. You can always transfer the license to your existing iLok (or visa versa) if you want to.

Your other options to get Pro Tools 11 are to purchase a full stand-alone license or to buy an interface that includes a full version of Pro Tools 11 . Those are currently the Mbox 3 Pro or the Eleven Rack. If you are a guitar or bass player the Eleven Rack is a great deal (current retail price ~ same as buying Pro Tools 11 software only). All Pro Tools 11 licenses include a Pro Tools 10 license and you can (or may need to) coinstall both Pro Tools 10 and 11 depending on what you are trying to do/plugin compatibility etc.

The Mbox 3 Mini has been discontinued and replaced by fastrack products, which is why you may see some selling at discount prices.

Before doing any of this, have you checked your Mac, OS X version etc. are compatible with the Pro Tools software you want to install. Links to all that is at the top of this page. Pro Tools is unlike lots of software, you *need* to read and follow the written install documentation and be sure to do all the standard recommended systems optimizations after the install.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:00 PM

Darryl,

Thank you for the detailed response.

I bought the Mbox mini for $159. I figured it's a logical way (for very little cost) to get a feel for PT and set myself up for PT 11. I'm a Logic user (now X). I want to move over to PT for audio post production.

Looks like Express does not support AAF/OMF. I guess it's to be expected. I do realize it's a scaled down version. I don't expect to wait too long to upgrade to PT 11.

The one thing I'm not clear on is I thought the crossgrade from Express to 11 is $399??. Has the price been recently increased?

As far as an interface, I have a Mackie Firewire board that I think is compatible with PT 10/11. I should be all set ...

Thanks again.

-paul.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfigg View Post
Darryl,

Thank you for the detailed response.

I bought the Mbox mini for $159. I figured it's a logical way (for very little cost) to get a feel for PT and set myself up for PT 11. I'm a Logic user (now X). I want to move over to PT for audio post production.

Looks like Express does not support AAF/OMF. I guess it's to be expected. I do realize it's a scaled down version. I don't expect to wait too long to upgrade to PT 11.

The one thing I'm not clear on is I thought the crossgrade from Express to 11 is $399??. Has the price been recently increased?

As far as an interface, I have a Mackie Firewire board that I think is compatible with PT 10/11. I should be all set ...

Thanks again.

-paul.
Express to Pro Tools 11 has never been $399 AFAIK, that *might* have been a price for Express to Pro Tools 10. Be sure you know that Pro Tools 11 (esp. the non HD vs. HD version differences) will do what you need. You can also download the Pro Tools 11 free eval (need to install the trial license on your iLok2) and try it out. Check that plugins you need to bring over from Logic are already AAX-64 format if you want to use them in Pro Tools 11, otherwise you can run RTAS or AAX-32 plugins with the bundled Pro Tools 10 license (you can also Rewire with AU plugins, but that is a longer conversation).

Logic Pro X looks good, as soon as I swap around some disks I'll upgrade...

Darryl
Old 08-11-2013, 06:32 AM

Darryl,

PT 11 Crossgrade from Express for $399. I've seen it as low as $320.

It appears it's $499 solely on the Avid site. I'm pretty sure these sellers are legit.

And good points about making sure the version of PT 11 will suit my needs. It looks like Surround Mixing options are only included in 11 HD. It's allot more expensive.

-paul.