Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2021, 04:52 PM

Default SOLVED - Source Clip disappears from clip list after separating

Hi everyone, I've just updated from PT 11 to PT 2021.3.1.

Solved - the solution is to use Clip Capture (command R) to stop sub clips (unbolded clips) from disappearing from the clip list after separating. Somewhere between Pro Tools 11 (my last version) and Pro Tools 2021 (my new version), the commands have changed to achieve the same end result.

My problem is this: When I have a clip in the edit window and I separate it, the source clip immediately disappears from the clip list and all I'm left with are the two new clips that have been auto-created as a result of the separation, named _01 and _02 but the source clip is gone, to where, who knows?

I've searched everywhere, checked in the manual and can't find an answer. And I've checked all the preferences, menus and sub menus.

The manual says:
"By separating a clip, additional clips are auto-created from data on either side of the separation, which have new numbers assigned to their names. The original clip remains intact and unchanged on the Clips List."

But in my case the original clip is not intact and unchanged, it disappears from the clip list as soon as I make the separation. I never had this problem in Pro Tools 11, does anyone have any ideas?

Edit: one thing I noticed is that if the clip is in bold (an original unseparted cilp), it doesn't disappear from the clip list. This only happens when separting a clip that is is not bolded (a previous separation of the original). Thanks so much!

Sharon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before Separation.jpg (31.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg After Separation.jpg (38.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by bigdoghat; 07-11-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Source Clip disappears from clip list after separating

I think you pointed at the answer in your last paragraph; If it's in bold, it's know as a 'whole-file' (or at least it used to be) and it points to a file in the Audio Files folder. If you separate a clip (not a whole-file) two new clips are created, and the original clip disappears! Totally natural. I think…
Old 07-09-2021, 06:00 PM

Maybe I was a bit unclear; I mean the clips bin shows all whole-files and clips in the session at the present time. The clip that has been divided into two, is no longer there, so… If they weren't removed, one could imagine situations where the clip bin would be filled with not present, unnecessary clips.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:46 PM

Go to the Clips List drop down menu then go to Show->Auto-Created and make sure it is checked. This can be turned off so that massive sessions don't get bogged down by thousands and thousands of orphaned auto created clips that are the byproduct of editing.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Maybe I was a bit unclear; I mean the clips bin shows all whole-files and clips in the session at the present time. The clip that has been divided into two, is no longer there, so… If they weren't removed, one could imagine situations where the clip bin would be filled with not present, unnecessary clips.
I understand, however this is not how Pro Tools 11 worked. I'm making about 50 pieces of room tone cut in ever tinier increments. I've done it this way for years, I use the previous piece created to then make the next smallest piece so I only have to do a small edit to create the next piece.

In the current state of things I have to keep going back to the master clip which is way too long to cut the next piece and it's very time consuming. Pro Tools didn't work like this before so I'm wondering if it's a glitch?

I've tried every combo of preferences, views, options on and off. Nothing changes it. The only thing I can think of is that it's some new option in PT 2021 that's deeply hidden or it's a bug. But I've looked in every menu, sub menu, the clip list and the preferences, checking and unchecking different options. Nothing makes a difference. Thanks for trying to help!

Last edited by bigdoghat; 07-09-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Go to the Clips List drop down menu then go to Show->Auto-Created and make sure it is checked. This can be turned off so that massive sessions don't get bogged down by thousands and thousands of orphaned auto created clips that are the byproduct of editing.
Thanks for responding, first thing I tried, no luck. I've tried everything, checking and unchecking options wherever I find them, in the prefs, main menus, sub menus and clip list. Starting to wonder if it's a bug as it worked perfectly in Pro Tools 11 amd before. I'm using Pro Tools since version 5 lol and all the way back to there, it worked right, I can't figure out what's happened.

I should probably post screenshots from PT 11 for comparison with the same scenario, I still have that on my old laptop

Last edited by bigdoghat; 07-09-2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:30 PM

Update: before and after separation screenshots from Pro Tools 11 attached. Contrary to PT 2021, the source clip is still visible after the separation. Preferences in the clip list for PT 2021 are set the same as PT 11
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT 11 BEFORE SEPARATION.jpg (40.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PT 11 AFTER SEPARATION.jpg (40.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-10-2021, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoghat View Post
Update: before and after separation screenshots from Pro Tools 11 attached. Contrary to PT 2021, the source clip is still visible after the separation. Preferences in the clip list for PT 2021 are set the same as PT 11
Not seeing what you're seeing in PT 2021.6. What's your operating system? On an unsupported OSX 10.13.6 on my 2012 MacPro cheesegrater I see both the original file and the separated files when I do a split. I don't have any special settings as discussed here just whatever stock settings there are.

QAPLA!
Old 07-10-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Not seeing what you're seeing in PT 2021.6. What's your operating system?
Thanks for responding, I'm on a 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, 2.5 Ghz i7, OS 10.14.6. And good to know that you don't see this issue on your machine.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I stand by this. I just tested it:
Whole-file "Audio" (Bold in clip bin)
Separate cmd-E, two new clips appear in the clip bin:
"Audio-01" and "Audio-02". Not bold.
Separate "Audio-01", two new clips appear in the clip bin:
"Audio-03" and "Audio-04", and "Audio-01" disappears.

This is on the setup in my signature.

Added: Of course if you were to duplicate the track before the last step, "Audio-01" would not disappear because it's still in the session.