Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2009, 12:52 PM

Default QuickTime Pro Playback issue w Digi Hardware

My QuickTime Pro Won't Playback via Digi Hardware.

I am using a MacPro Intel running Apple OS 10.5.6 and I am on Pro Tools 8 (HD).

In Apple preferences, I have routed my sound through the Digi Harware. When I try to play an Mp3 via Quicktime, the timeline bar moves but there is no movement on Quicktime's graphics bar - and no audio playback. Quictime Pro will only playback via the internal speakers.

The DigiCore Audio manager always seems to be active when I start up my computer. I have to physically turn it off to run ProTools.

For whatever it's worth, ITunes seems to playback just fine via the Digi Harware. Please help.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:27 PM

Default Re: QuickTime Pro Playback issue w Digi Hardware

Sorry I can't help you....but how did you get iTunes to playback???? Been struggling with that one. I have also routed cpu output to digi hardware.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:25 AM

Guys,

I am having the same problem. I did a full brand new install of OSX 10.5.7 and PT V8.0cs3 on my Intel MacPro 3 weeks ago and it seems to work as it always has (Quicktime with Digi Hardware no problem and iTunes the same). But today when I did exactly the same install on my older G5 2.5Ghz, the Quicktime version that installs as part of the 10.5.7 Combo Installer, refuses to play nice with Digi Core Audio. iTunes does however function as normal.

The only difference I can think of, is that I may have allowed the "automatic update" to download some newer version of Quicktime on the Intel machine (it's in a different studio completely with wireless internet connection). Here at my main studio, I don't have my PT computer connected to the internet, so that won't happen automatically. Any thoughts on this possibility??

Cheers

Steve Bush
Old 06-23-2009, 04:25 AM

I don't recommend trying to make the system audio work with digi hardware. I suggest using the optical output from the Mac into an outboard converter you can switch to optical SPDIF source easily and then into your monitor controller.

Really I don't think they take that capability seriously at Digi...and they have far more important bugs to fix. I suggest they drop system audio support entirely.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:03 AM

Dennis,

Problem solved. I downloaded the latest Quicktime (V7.6.2) and it's all back to normal.

Hope that helps you too.

Cheers

Steve Bush
Old 06-23-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
Dennis,

Problem solved. I downloaded the latest Quicktime (V7.6.2) and it's all back to normal.

Hope that helps you too.

Cheers

Steve Bush
I've been using that version and it's never worked. Quicktime, Safari and iTunes just will not work.

I'm really giving up on trying to make this work. The reason I don't like to use the optical or spdif is that you have to have a pro tools session open and an input track available to use it. Then to avoid clicks and pops you have to change from internal sync to either optical or spdif. If you forget to change it back and record in a session then you get sample rate problems. It's just not worth it. Going put together a DB25 connector and run audio from the system out the Blackmagic Intensity Pro card and into one of the stereo inputs of the C|24. This is the last problem I'm trying to solve so I can get the computer out of the studio and put it in the next room. Using the core audio manager would have been the perfect solution but like peppertree has said, I just don't think this is a priority at Digi and that's cool. Moving on now..have spent WAY too much time on it...got work to do!
Old 06-23-2009, 07:55 AM
Avid

Any time you can't hear playback from Quicktime or any other application through Core Audio, try toggling the Sound control panel between built-in and Digi HW, which should start playback.

Always make sure to quit Pro Tools and give it 30 seconds or so to release the hardware, then launch Core Audio and make sure it shows 'Connected' before launching the app you want to play through it.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Any time you can't hear playback from Quicktime or any other application through Core Audio, try toggling the Sound control panel between built-in and Digi HW, which should start playback.

Always make sure to quit Pro Tools and give it 30 seconds or so to release the hardware, then launch Core Audio and make sure it shows 'Connected' before launching the app you want to play through it.
Thanks for the try Digi but it's not working. Like I said I'm giving up. Whenever iTunes, Quicktime or Safari is launched Core Audio does not connect to the application. If Logic or Garageband is launched it works fine. I also can't keep going to System Prefs and toggle settings...especially when I have a client in the room and it's not working right. I can't afford to keep fumbling. It's not good for business. Like I said, I'm going to run a DB25 from the Intensity Pro to the C|24 Stereo 1. I really appreciate Digi coming on the forum and helping.