Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-31-2022, 06:25 AM

Default Soundflow 5

I know it's not usually the form on the DUC and apologies in advance, but I just wanted to do a gratuitous plug for Soundflow especially as a new version has been released just recently, making it much easier to get started with Macros, decks etc.
I've been using it now since it was first released and it's allowed me to create macros and manipulate workflows in Pro Tools that are just not possible in other shortcut software, or even Eucon, saving me tons of time in the process.
Christian who runs the company is a Re Recording Mixer and Sound Designer so he knows exactly what we are looking for in terms of workflow and there's a brilliant forum where other mixers are very generous in sharing their shortcuts and macros.
He doesn't shout about it on here, so I thought I would do it for him, in the hope that more people in our industry can find out about it and get the benefit of what the software can offer.
It may not be for you, it's a subscription and that nearly put me off to start with, but the cost is very low when you weigh it against the time benefits IMHO.
If you know about it already maybe you can chime in with what you think, if you don't I encourage you to give it a go.

Ps. I'm not affiliated with the company. I pay my subs like anyone else, I just wanted to share because I enjoy using it.

https://soundflow.org/
Old 01-31-2022, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Soundflow 5

I love this program too. So helpful, and I would consider myself a basic user. I use it in conjunction with my S3 and Dock to trigger macros from the surfaces.

Christian is incredibly responsive and helpful, on the level of Justin Drury from Soundminer.

Highly recommended!

J.R.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:03 AM

Do you still have to be connected to the internet to start/run SF or have they changed that now in v5?

Thanks

Frank.
Old 01-31-2022, 11:21 AM

Yup. That's my only complaint about it, is that I can't use it at facilities.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:26 PM

I'm glad to hear others are liking it too!

Quote:
Do you still have to be connected to the internet to start/run SF or have they changed that now in v5?

I had this problem too initially and I would use it only in my own studio.
But recently 3 different big theatres in London have been able to set me up
with some kind of filtered internet access that allowed Soundflow and my streamdecks to run without breaking their internet security.
I'm not sure how they got that to work, you'd probably have a better idea than me Frank?

There's also a version which runs offline from a server, but it's more expensive to subscribe. I think a few facilities have that now for their in house mixers.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Fountain View Post
Yup. That's my only complaint about it, is that I can't use it at facilities.
They have a facilities specific plan that doesn't require internet connectivity, but I guess that probably something the facility has to invest in rather than simply an independent engineer working in various facilities.

Certainly something to suggest to the places you frequent most!
Old 02-07-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonantRhythm View Post
They have a facilities specific plan that doesn't require internet connectivity, but I guess that probably something the facility has to invest in rather than simply an independent engineer working in various facilities.

Certainly something to suggest to the places you frequent most!
I wonder why they assume that it's only facilities that want to stay offline and all one-person-bands can and want to connect their DAWs to the web 24/7.

hm...
Old 02-07-2022, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
I wonder why they assume that it's only facilities that want to stay offline and all one-person-bands can and want to connect their DAWs to the web 24/7.

hm...
Because they don't think of the Post environment and all of what goes into and needs to be protected.

Companies who assume that online licensing only will learn they will lose certain clients because for many reasons, not being online always is preferable and in many cases necessary.

The minute I saw it was online only, I stopped reading.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:18 PM

It would be great if they supported an offline mode for freelancers who working their own facilities. I enquired about it but the framework is setup for larger facilities who allow a gateway through to the Soundflow portal.

But like Frank said, it's just not an option if you need to be totally air gapped which is becoming the norm for current times.

I want to like it, I tried it out and liked it, but this is a deal breaker for me and any jobs that I am involved in currently.