Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-11-2020, 09:12 PM

Default 2020.3 buggiest version in years

PT 2020.3 is insanely buggy, first the memory consumption is way up and the dreaded system spikes/errors that I have not seen since at least a year are back,
Eucon keeps disconnecting while I am in the middle of mixing (on Artist Mixes).
Today, I suddenly got an audio feedback loop that only went away*after hard booting my computer
And the latest, every time I try to do an Coalasce on VCA faders Pro Tools just simply crashes.
I love to finally have Folder Tracks but I hate that I can't work in this version without constant crashes. This is the buggiest version of Pro Tools I have experienced in years. I wish I could roll back but apparently projects once saved are not backwards compatible... sigh,
Please Avid fix this
UAD Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, UAD Quad Pcie
Apollo Twin Duo,
HDX Card,
2x Avid I/O Analog 16/16,
4x Artist Mix, Avid Dock, PT Control,
2019 Mac Pro 12 core, 48 gig Ram, running Big Sur,
lots of outboard gear
Old 04-11-2020, 10:46 PM

Default Re: 2020.3 buggiest version in years

Sorry to hear this but we are many many studios who make our living off PT2020.3 Ultimate and pur systems dont have those issues so who knows. Might be something with your system as most of us have a smooth ride except for Catalina and Video. Needs a few workarounds to get reliable video work but for audio it rocks. We do use HS and Mojave on 4 out of 6 Mac Pros as we havent started using our new 28 core 7.1 Machines fully yet due to a few strange issues with Catalina on them so our trashcans are doing the dailys so far but hopefully PTU 2020.X will sort that out soon so we can start using those insane $$$$$$ 7.1 mac pros. They sure look the part though

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-11-2020, 10:48 PM

works awesome on mojave had a couple of strange things but a reboot fixed it - could have been plugin related
Old 04-11-2020, 10:52 PM

I think it is Catalina related!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-12-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtomcat View Post
PT 2020.3 is insanely buggy, first the memory consumption is way up and the dreaded system spikes/errors that I have not seen since at least a year are back,
Eucon keeps disconnecting while I am in the middle of mixing (on Artist Mixes).
Today, I suddenly got an audio feedback loop that only went away*after hard booting my computer
And the latest, every time I try to do an Coalasce on VCA faders Pro Tools just simply crashes.
I love to finally have Folder Tracks but I hate that I can't work in this version without constant crashes. This is the buggiest version of Pro Tools I have experienced in years. I wish I could roll back but apparently projects once saved are not backwards compatible... sigh,
Please Avid fix this
Hi,

I don't think 2020's any buggier that 2019. Let's face it; as much as we love the straightforward workflow, PT is buggy software. We know that. There are many things wrong with it, but many things right, too. For me, the main area where other DAWs seem to do better is in utilization of CPU resources. No matter how powerful your computer is, it's still not powerful enough for PT!

Decade-old bugs are still lurking in the background, waiting for an opportunity to stop your show . But for me the easy, familiar workflow is compensation enough.

As Christopher pointed out, many users are quite happy with 2020.3. If your issues are really bad, the solution may be found within your system. You may need to take a closer look and/or do a clean re-install.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:47 PM

well, I had no issues whatsoever in 2019.12 and minor issues in the past on other versions. This one is useless for me... I am happy that none of you have had any issues... after one week of it being released... I found at least 4 mayor bugs within 4 hours of using it...

In any case I took some video of the VCA issue and the Eucon issue, but it seems I am not able to upload video here. Is there an official place to share videos here on DUC? I don't want to upload this to YouTube thanks
UAD Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, UAD Quad Pcie
Apollo Twin Duo,
HDX Card,
2x Avid I/O Analog 16/16,
4x Artist Mix, Avid Dock, PT Control,
2019 Mac Pro 12 core, 48 gig Ram, running Big Sur,
lots of outboard gear
Old 04-13-2020, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtomcat View Post
well, I had no issues whatsoever in 2019.12 and minor issues in the past on other versions. This one is useless for me... I am happy that none of you have had any issues... after one week of it being released... I found at least 4 mayor bugs within 4 hours of using it...

In any case I took some video of the VCA issue and the Eucon issue, but it seems I am not able to upload video here. Is there an official place to share videos here on DUC? I don't want to upload this to YouTube thanks
Please contact support. They accept videos, too. Just login to your avid account, look for My Support Center section, and click on Access the Support Portal link. They answer. You paid for it :) You can use it.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartosz idzi View Post
Please contact support. They accept videos, too. Just login to your avid account, look for My Support Center section, and click on Access the Support Portal link. They answer. You paid for it :) You can use it.
Exactly. Everyone's responsibility to log a proper ticket, even if you know someone else already has one on the same issue! Only way for them to know what to fix next!
Old 04-13-2020, 12:15 PM

It’s very frustrating software
Half the time there’s just random cpu stuff.. or midi reassigned to dif inst..

I realize my anger And frustration is usually exponential as every issue is compounded by the decades of similar issues That are all brought to the foreground in that moment

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 04-14-2020, 12:29 AM

FWIW.

I'm on a Mac Pro 5.1 running High Sierra. Overall performance feels smoother in 2020.3 than 2019.X. Still some CPU spikes now and then, but I'm not sure if I can blame them on Pro Tools, or if they are happening because of CPU-intensive or badly coded plugins.

Stein Tore