Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-20-2020, 06:42 PM

Default Major bug , saving a project changes track gain (uhh?) ..

Hello there ,

First of all , sorry for my poor english , i'm not using any translator but i know it can be hard to explain a situation with technical words . i will try

I've noticed a big issue last week with one of my project . I made a project with many tracks ( 35) and bounced it after the mixing .

What i've noticed is that a track ( Guitar right) had more gain than what he should have .... It's all about this one and only track .

This Guitar right was sent to a Bus . This bus contains some eqs & comp + 1 reverb . I paid attention to the Bus , there are no automations or anything else . So i made some tests

1° I bounced the whole track again . The Guitar had the same bad level , it had approx ( +4db) gain .

2° To identify the problem , i tried to bounce only the guitar .

Again it sounded with a +4db level ...

So at this point , i was not able to match the correct gain , i didn't know why. It's like something happened and it only applied to this guitar. But no undo , this (+4db) was now glued to this guitar .

The crazy thing is that i compared the gain i applied through eqs , comp , etc with a previous version of this project , and it was the same . So something really strange occured there .

I conclude that , apparently , without touching any buttons , any plugins , any comp , the levels changed by themselves .

I closed the project and went back to a previous version . A version where the bus and all the plugins for the guitars were already there . It's just that some improvements on drums were not applied at this point .

I bounced this version and the guitar level was good .

I was like (ok maybe it's something with the more recent project) , so i decided to advance without touching this guitar . I made a thing on a snare and bounced ....guess what ? The level of the guitar rised again by the same amount ...

To summarize , i did a lot of other tests , and i found some answers :

1° When i go back to a "good" project with the correct guitar gain , if i save again this project , by doing anything , this guitar gain changes ( crazy) .

2° When i don't send the guitar to the bus , if i save or if i bounce . The guitar gain stays the same ( Bingo , so it's all about the bus?)

3° When i send the gtr to the bus again , the gtr gain DOESN'T CHANGE .
If i save the project (without any other action) and play the gtr again . The gain CHANGES ! If i desactivate the Bus , and then reactivate , the gain is ok again . If i save the project , and reopen it , the gain CHANGES !! .

So now , there is no solution . In fact , i can advance on the project and i know the problem is still there . I just have to desactivate the BUS and then reactivate to have the correct gain . If i make some changes , i don't save the project . If i don't save , it's ok . If i bounce , it's ok .

If i save it , then it's over . I would have to desactivate /activate the bus to match the same gain .

It's a great HEADACHE , it's crazy . Never seen this kind of issue .

But i need to resolve it , since i dont know if it already happened to previous projects , or will happen to future projects .

I have finished a lot of projects and sent it to some artists ( i'm doing mixing and master) , and i fear that sometimes , a piece of my word is modified without noticing it ...

Any help ? Sorry for the length , but i really wanted you to fully understand the problem . Thank you .
Old 12-20-2020, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Major bug , saving a project changes track gain (uhh?) ..

Create a new session, import session data and see if the problem is still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2020, 07:22 PM

Hello , thanks for the reply.

Could you explain more how to achieve this process , i dont want to make any mistakes please.

And another question please . With the importation data , will all the plugins used ( eqs , compressors ) and also automation appear in this new session?

Thank you
Old 12-21-2020, 12:44 AM

Create a new blank session at the same sample rate and bit depth of the problematic session. Choose import session data and import all the tracks (audio, midi, aux etc.) from the session causing you issues. I’d also select to copy the audio too rather than link to it but that’s up to you.

Yes, it will import all your inserts etc. as well as any automation.

It may not fix the issue, but it would at least rule out a corrupt session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2020, 08:22 AM

Good advice^^^
My next step would be to trash preferences.

If that fails, maybe delete the bus and recreate it(add a fresh AUX track and insert the plugins and see if that helps). You might also use a different bus for your routing. I have seen a bus get weird and changing to any other available bus cured the issue.

I know many people like to bus things, but to me, it over-complicates things and doesn't really bring an improvement in sound. My guitar tracks are always routed to the main outputs. I treat each guitar track with plugins for EQ, compression and such, but my delay and reverb plugins are always on their own AUX tracks and are fed by sends. I'm sure this is from my years of working on analog consoles as I like the simplicity.

BTW, your English is way better than my French!!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave