Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-20-2014, 04:26 PM

Default Timecode mismatch - Field Recorder Workflow

Driving myself nuts all day long trying to understand why the FRW persists in doing this insane thing in PT10:

1. I receive an AAF from Media Composer. Audio metadata seems intact (in Spot dialog, I can see the original timecode)

2. I designate one of the mono production tracks as Field Recorder Guide Track.

3. I select a folder, and choose Expand to New Tracks (by Timecode Only)

Pro Tools imports all my source multitracks and apparently matches the cuts in the production track from MC...HOWEVER the audio doesn't line up at all. And the crazy part is - NEITHER DOES THE TIME CODE.

To summarize: when I ask Pro Tools to choose tracks with relevant time code info (no other match criteria) and line them up with the guide track, it finds all the source audio and lines them up EVEN THOUGH IT KNOWS THE TIME CODES ARE NOT RELATED.

If I manually cut my source audio based on the time code info from the production track and then conform, it works - proving that all the time code metadata has been successfully preserved...so what's up?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Timecode mismatch - Field Recorder Workflow

Best guess - trash the PT databases and prefs ( http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=310227 ). Something similar happened to me once, and the above action fixed it like magic.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 11-24-2014, 08:38 AM

Thanks kindly for the suggestion - of course that would make sense, can't believe I didn't try it already! I'll let you know if it does the trick...
Old 11-24-2014, 10:54 AM

Sadly, no dice - same exact problem.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:54 AM

UPDATE:

Using a random .bwf audio file, I re-created a series of clips that match the original source time codes of the .mxf production track that came over in the AAF from Media Composer.

When I designated this mocked up .bwf as Field Recorder Guide Track, pointed to my source audio folder and expanded to new tracks By Timecode Only, everything works flawlessly!

So what I need to find out in order to solve this issue at it's root:

DOES THIS INDICATE A PROBLEM WITH THE .MXF GUIDE MIX FROM MEDIA COMPOSER?
(because even though PT *seems to recognize* the correct timecode metadata in this .mxf file, when it expands to new tracks by timecode only based on the .mxf as field recorder guide, it actually aligns my source audio to timecodes unrelated to those indicated in the .mxf clips!)
Old 11-24-2014, 01:24 PM

Problems like this are a nightmare, aren't they?

I haven't had a problem quite like this really, I hope someone else can chime in. I had all sorts of issues related to tape names being too long in an MC export, but in that case PT couldn't see the source timecode at all.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM