Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 11-24-2006, 03:00 PM

Default Extreme noob questions

Hi everybody. I'm brand new to home recording/mixing/etc and have a few basic questions, so if any of you would want to take the time to help me out it would be appreciated.

I naivly bought an M-Audio Ozone Academic M-Powered package. It came with an M-Audio Ozone and M-Powered Pro Tools 7.1.1 (I am using Windows XP MC Edition, so I know there might be some problems, none so far though). It's been quite the learning curve over the last few days and I've come up with many questions, jusxt a few of which I'll ask here.

MIDI - where can a find a very new user friendly introduction on MIDI explaining the idea of CC's (I don't even know what a CC is - just giving you an idea of where I'm starting from). To be honest I have little idea of what all the terminology means - CC, Velocity, CC Data, After touch, etc. aside from what the manual of the Ozone says. I want to be able to take advantage of the Ozone on Pro Tools, but I'm having a heck of a time just to getting the two to communicate in a useful way. Part of it is I really don't know how to use Pro Tools - which I'll try to remedy by getting my hands at all the PT literature I can find) but a big part is I just don't know how to use MIDI. WHat I have done so far is use Xpand! with the Ozone to put in a drum track and a couple other instruments. But what if I want to control some of PT or Xpand!'s controls through the Ozone? Can I do that? Anyways, I think you get an idea of where I'm at here.

Pro Tools - Where can I get some good basic instruction on PT functions that aren't maybe so basic as loading a session, creating a track, or other stuff that you can find oodles on how to do on the net. There are little buttons and functions everywhere! How do I find out what all those bad boys do and how to use them, or even why I would want to use them?

I know these are both huge questions with lots of answers, but I'll be reading anything you guys put and trying to put it into practice as best I can.

Thanks for any help offered.

Dean
Old 11-24-2006, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Extreme noob questions

Quote:
where can a find a very new user friendly introduction on MIDI explaining the idea of CC's
MIDI for the Professional by Paul D. Lehrman and Tim Tully.
Quote:
control some of PT or Xpand!'s controls through the Ozone?
MIDI 'Learn' function.
Quote:
How do I find out what all those bad boys do and how to use them, or even why I would want to use them?
Pro Tools Reference Guide, it's in the Pro Tools Help Menus and these might be of assistance Self-paced Training also.

Happy tooling.

filosofem
Old 11-24-2006, 06:10 PM

I too am a newbee to this. I purchased an Mbox 2 studio bundle w/Pro Tools Ignition Pack included. I found out after installing the software and hardware along with registering the product online that I needed an ilok USB device to get the activation keys to run the Pro LE 7.0 software on my spankin new laptop WinXP. It seems that the bundle did not mention anything about having an ilok USB device. Not even in the documentation booklets.

Does anyone know how long it takes for digidesign to send activation keys to my ilok.com account so that I can actually use my software/mbox2? Or will I have to wait until the staff is back in the office Monday morning.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:41 PM

Not to my knowledge, Mbox 2 will run without an iLok. Where is it telling you you need an iLok?

filosofem
Old 11-25-2006, 01:24 AM

My manual said the same thing. I looked all over for the iLok but couldn't find it (I thought they had forgot to package it). So I tried anyways and it worked. Maybe give it a go jsut in case. My guess it will work.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:07 AM

Another VERY usefull resource....

FREE and online from Digidesign....

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...396&ref=PTAV-F
Old 11-25-2006, 10:41 AM

Only the Mbox 2 Factory comes with a pre-packaged iLok for these plugs.

*Moogerfooger® Analog Delay
*JOEMEEK® SC2T Photo Optical Compressor
*JOEMEEK VC5T Meequalizer®
*Cosmonaut Voice
*Digidesign® Maxim

filosofem
Old 12-04-2006, 08:23 AM

I got Protools with an Ozone too. Simply write to me if you need any help.

jeff@southerncrossmetal.com