Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2022, 08:53 PM

Default Installation problems

I am having problems installing Pro Tools Ultimate 22.7 on my new PC with Win11home. My specs exceed minimum requirements.

When try to install using either Avid Link or manually, it installs the Avid License, Avid codecs, etc then the Installshield Wizard pops up, cick install then as it is installing the Microsft visual c++ a prompt pops up asking to restart the system. It doesnt install whether I restart or not.....

PLEASE HELP!!!!

System DetailsDell XPS 8950
12th Gen Intel® Core™ i9-12900K (30 MB cache, 16 cores, 24 threads, 3.20 to 5.20 GHz Turbo)
Windows 11 Home
32 GB, 2 x 16 GB, DDR5, 4400 MHz
Pro Tools Ultimate

Last edited by Birdy5150; 08-15-2022 at 08:55 PM. Reason: added system details
Old 08-15-2022, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Installation problems

"it doesn't install"... what *exactly* happens when you restart the system? What are all the messages/errors etc. you see on the screen? Before and after reboot?

Is your boot drive C:?

Are you installing to that boot drive? (You cannot change the install location).

The C++ runtime should install and worse case next time you run the Pro Tools installer it won't complain about it being needed.

Is the C++ runtime actually getting installed or is it failing? Does it show up as installed in the software Control Panel? Anything interesting looking in the Windows Event Log from when it was being installed? If it's not being installed look at that exact name of what it is trying to install and download the installer (from Microsoft.com) and run that installer separately.

How exactly are you determining Pro Tools is "not installed". Yes that's a serious question. Does it show up in the Software Control Panel?, are the files actually installed on disk? C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools\ProTools.exe etc. along with all the other usual files? etc. etc.

How long have you have this PC? How much messing around has happened to the Windows install? I would not waste too much time chasing problems and would kick it in the guts if stuck... do a full clean Windows install on a spare drive or partition. Ideally from a Microsoft installer (it can be worth purchasing a stand alone/non-OEM Windows license if needed) not a Dell recovery partition or installer that will likely be full of Dell crapware/bloatware. Install the bare clean Windows and absolute minimum drivers you need (like for the GPU), do not let Windows plug and pray automatically find drivers, and then just install Pro Tools and see if that works. If so you can move any stuff to that new partition and then clone it over the current boot partition.

Still stuck try to describe stuff in as much detail as you can, like exactly what you see on screens or don't see etc. Any error messages verbatim etc. And post a SiSoft Sandra report. See under "Help Us Help You" up the top of every DUC web page. Long shot that will show something but very occasionally whacked out stuff shows up there.

Google any terms above you don't understand.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-15-2022 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
"it doesn't install"... what *exactly* happens when you restart the system? What are all the messages/errors etc. you see on the screen? Before and after reboot?

The C++ runtime should install and worse case next time you run the Pro Tools installer it won't complain about it being needed.

Is the C++ runtime actually getting installed or is it failing? What shows up in the software control panel? After reboot? Anything interesting looking in the Windows Event Log from when it was being installed? If it's not being installed look at that exact name of what it is trying to install and download the installer (from Microsoft) and run that installer separately.

How long have you have this PC? How much messing around has happened to the Windows install? I would not waste too much time chasing problems and would kick it in the guts if stuck... do a full clean Windows install on a spare drive or partition. Ideally from a Microsoft installer (it can be worth purchasing a stand alone/non-OEM Windows license if needed) not a Dell recovery partition or installer that will likely be full of Dell crapware/bloatware. Install the bare clean Windows and absolute minimum drivers you need (like for the GPU), do not let Windows plug and pray automatically find drivers, and then just install Pro Tools and see if that works. If so you can move any stuff to that new partition and then clone it over the current boot partition.

Google any terms above you don't understand.

Thanks Daryll,

This is what I see before reboot (See attachment). After boot.....nothing at all, although I think once after the reboot it tried to do the same thing again.

This is a brand new PC straight out of the box. Running great, no problems loading any other software.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg install.jpg (53.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-15-2022, 09:25 PM

OK so when you reboot does that Redistributable show up in the software control panel as installed? If not grab it off Microsoft and install it.

Good it's a new PC, but unfortunately with Windows and Dell crapware that may not be enough but try what I've already suggested.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy5150 View Post
Thanks Daryll,

This is what I see before reboot (See attachment). After boot.....nothing at all, although I think once after the reboot it tried to do the same thing again.

This is a brand new PC straight out of the box. Running great, no problems loading any other software.

Software Control Panel shows this as c++ installed (attached)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c++.jpg (62.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-15-2022, 09:27 PM

And by "Software control panel" I mean the "Programs & Features Control Panel" or whatever it's called this week.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:39 PM

Edit: Doh those duplicates are entries for x86-32 and x86-64. I'd try installing the one Pro Tools wants (and it does not look like it's actually installed?) and reinstall it from a Microsoft.com separate download. Reboot and they rerun the Pro Tool installer. You can also just remove every redistributable (other programs may stop working) and install only the one Pro Tools is asking for.

If this all gets too much/no progress than a clean Windows test install on a spare drive/partition may be a better use of time.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Edit: Doh those duplicates are entries for x86-32 and x86-64. I'd try installing the one Pro Tools wants (and it does not look like it's actually installed?) and reinstall it from a Microsoft.com separate download. Reboot and they rerun the Pro Tool installer. You can also just remove every redistributable (other programs may stop working) and install only the one Pro Tools is asking for.

If this all gets too much/no progress than a clean Windows test install on a spare drive/partition may be a better use of time.

Thanks Darryl for your help. I installed the c++ that it was hanging up on and it doesn't seem to help. As its installing that c++ it asks to reboot and when it restarts it goes through the whole process again in a terminal loop.

Ive put a support case into Avid, I hope they can help.
Old 09-08-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy5150 View Post
Thanks Daryll,

Instead of clicking Yes to reboot, click No to reboot after all is installed.
Hope it helps and it's that simple.
| Pro Tools Studio Perpetual & Active Sub
| TASCAM US-16x08
| TASCAM MH-8
| TASCAM US-1x2HR
-------
| '78 Fender Jazz Bass FRETLESS
| '97 Squier P-Bass
| '00 5-String Squier Precision Bass Standard
| '20 Squier Contemporary Active Jazz Bass HH
| '20 Ovation CE48 Celebrity Elite Super Shallow
| '21 Squier Stratocaster - Sienna Sunburst with Maple Fb
Old 09-08-2022, 07:18 PM

I see I'm late to the game. Hopefully you got it figured out before now.