Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-04-2003, 05:50 AM

Default 002Rack Latency? Intertrack Latency?

Hi all,

simple question.

I wish to record my jazz band, and am about to get a 002 Rack. Question. What sort of latency effects can I expect.

I have flipped through the setup manual and other documents but am still not sure about latency problems.

Now I understand that there will be latency to the host pc and back again (to be expected), _but_ will there be _intertrack_ latencies as suggested by others on this board?

i.e. can I easily record all tracks simultanneously with monitoring (headphones for everyone), then go back and continue multitracking with a minimal of fuss (just adjusting each track's delay)..

Thanks

Oz
Old 08-04-2003, 11:38 AM

Default Re: 002Rack Latency? Intertrack Latency?

I have recorded my college jazz band with an 001. 16 tracks at a time (with a Digimax) and went back to track without any problems. I have an 002R now and, though I haven't tried recording the jazz band, I have recorded 12 tracks at a time with it. No problems.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:15 AM

But of course if I am just using a single monitor mix the 002 will do that onboard using it's own mixer instead of using the host right?

Oz
Old 08-05-2003, 12:18 AM

If you're doing separate monitor mixes through Protools using the outs on the 002R, you'll have latency. To avoid this, you should monitor through an external mixer.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:41 AM

Woa, I have just re-read the "Getting Started With Digi 002" booklet and it occurs to me that the 002 does NOT have an onboard mixer like the Mbox to blend between the live sound coming in and the return sound from the host pc.

Is this definitely the case, in other words all monitoring of inputs combined with host pc playback will have latency, unlike the mbox where you can combine in an analog sense the input audio and return audio.

Hence to monitor with zero latency you still need a mixer. Bit of a pain.

Oz
Old 08-05-2003, 05:22 AM

It does seem really strange that the Mbox is better than the 002R when in comes to input latency. It would be so easy to put that feature on the 002R.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:01 PM

I think in PTLE you can switch a track(s) to a "low latency mode", but you can't have any plug-ins on that track while recording, which should be fine for most situations. I would be curious as to how much latency there still is even while in this mode. Maybe one of you that has PTLE with a 002 or rack could do a quick measurement of the latency. I think there is a n easy way you can test this. Set up a session and record something percussive onto track 1, like a kick drum. Then, setup a second track and record enable it in "Low latency mode". Now using a cable patch the analog output of track 1 into the analog input of track 2. Now, setup a third track also in "Low latency mode" and patch the analog output of track 2 into the analog input of track 3. Hit record and the kick drum sound will be recorded onto track 2 and then onto track 3. Then zoom in time wise to see the difference in time/milliseconds between track 1, and 3. This difference in time is the latency? It should be somewhere between 1-100 miliseconds I would think. Let us know. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:56 PM

I think that for me, it won't matter that much, as MOST of my work I can use an external monitor mixer if I really have to, and since I will mostly be behind the desk, it will be up to the band to adapt.. he..he..he....

My local Digi rep, sais he has never had any problems with the 002(R) doing this. I admit my comments are somewhat "sky is faling" in nature..

I however now really like the fact at Behringer will soon have an 8 channel preamp input/output system that will connect to the Digi through SPDIF/ADAT... very nice..so for under $3000 AUD I could get a Digi002R AND one of these boxes, and get 16 channels in and out (even if the 8 offboard channels can only go up to 48KHz)....sweet...

For me, it's now the decision. Mbox to work with my iBook, or get a 002Rack for my PC (or both ... no.. my credit card will melt).. oh and I need some tallent.. anyone got any for sale??? some personality might come in handy too....

Oz
Old 08-06-2003, 11:18 PM

I however now really like the fact at Behringer will soon have an 8 channel preamp input/output system that will connect to the Digi through SPDIF/ADAT... very nice.."

Geeeze, there is a good deal of experience here and elsewhere that says you should lose that thought just about yesterday. Its the "B" word... Just get a Dmax and be done with it. You know Behringer only ever rips off designs, and builds cheap knock offs of products...
Old 08-07-2003, 04:59 AM

I agree. Get a Digimax. Works and sounds great with my 002R.

Also, remember that you need a pretty fast iBook to use MBox on OSX. My 600 Mhz iBook choked on everything I threw at it with the MBox. For some reason, my 002R and my iBook have been rock solid (I am not really trying to challenge it, though).