Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2013, 01:10 PM

Default Still haven't received 10 to 11 student upgrade

At this point, everyone I know has received their free upgrade, and I am still waiting.

I purchased the student version of Pro Tools 9, which was my entry point into the 4 year student plan, and I received the free upgrade to 10. The problem is, my friend took the same upgrade path as me, and the people at Avid's sales support tried to tell him that his purchase of Pro Tools 9 was a "Crossgrade" and not an "Upgrade". So, by there logic, he was not eligible for upgrades to 11.

It took me a second to realize but everybody purchasing 9 who had a previous version of Pro Tools (8 or lower) was being labeled as a crossgrade.

So my friend had to raise hell speaking to supervisors at Avid for a few hours before they caved after asking him to prove that he was supposed to receive the upgrade as part of a 4 year deal (he sent them several links and receipts that are still plastered all over the internet promising the free 4 years of upgrades)

Has anyone else had issues receiving the upgrade? I feel like I'm going to have to take the same path that my friend did...
Old 06-28-2013, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Still haven't received 10 to 11 student upgrade

it may take 30 days for everyone on the student list to get there code generated and mailed to them
each email has to have an individual code generated for it

or so I was told

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-28-2013, 01:53 PM

Be glad you're not one of the many (like me) who had the "forever" student discount for being Pro Tools certified, which was eliminated somewhere around Pro Tools 8... Something to the effect that it was a Digidesign discount, not Avid.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 06-28-2013, 02:22 PM

If it makes you feel better, I haven't gotten mine either. I talked to my sweetwater engineer, and he said that I should be getting it, so it sounds like it's just a matter of time at this point.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Admin Emeritus

These emails and activations are going out on schedule. We estimated it could take up to 3 weeks for everyone to receive theirs, and after 1 week, about a third have been sent, with the rest still remaining.

So you'll need to be patient for all of these to go out in the next 2 weeks in order to receive your activation code for your Pro Tools 11 license.

But in the meantime, you can download the Pro Tools 11 trial version (identical to the paid version except for the authorization) from the Pro Tools 11 link at the top right of the forum.

If you install PT 11, you should ALSO update to Pro Tools 10.3.6 first for co-installation of both versions. Please see the Pro Tools 10.3.6 page which includes Read Me files and Installers.

Also, don't forget that you will need an iLok 2 for Pro Tools 11. It will not work on the original key shaped iLok USB dongle.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
These emails and activations are going out on schedule. We estimated it could take up to 3 weeks for everyone to receive theirs, and after 1 week, about a third have been sent, with the rest still remaining.

So you'll need to be patient for all of these to go out in the next 2 weeks in order to receive your activation code for your Pro Tools 11 license.

But in the meantime, you can download the Pro Tools 11 trial version (identical to the paid version except for the authorization) from the Pro Tools 11 link at the top right of the forum.

If you install PT 11, you should ALSO update to Pro Tools 10.3.6 first for co-installation of both versions. Please see the Pro Tools 10.3.6 page which includes Read Me files and Installers.

Also, don't forget that you will need an iLok 2 for Pro Tools 11. It will not work on the original key shaped iLok USB dongle.
Thanks for your response. I was just making sure everything was still in the process due to my friend's situation.

Also, if I may suggest for the future, it would be extremely helpful if a confirmation email was sent out to everyone that is elligible for the free student upgrade on the day of release. This would clear up the confusion of all of the people like me and it would help to let us know that we dont have to worry about whether or not we will receive the upgrade.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:33 PM

While waiting for the student upgrade, is it possible to get the 11 trail and relicense it when the upgrade comes?
Old 06-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
While waiting for the student upgrade, is it possible to get the 11 trial and relicense it when the upgrade comes?
Yes, that's exactly what you would do.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:04 PM

Shouldn't this all be automated? You know, push send and all emails go out in less than a couple of seconds vice weeks? I am picturing little old ladies sitting at typewriters preparing on email at a time in triplicate!

I have to imagine the only logical reason for spreading them out is to reduce the load on the servers due to so many downloading during a short period? Am I right Avid?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 06-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Admin Emeritus

It doesn't just involve avid servers, each one of these upgrade activation emails (and there are tens of thousands) requires the user to go through activation, which triggers registration, deposits to iLok.com servers, retrieval of licenses from iLok.com, and large downloads of Pro Tools 11 (and 10.3.6 if they need that too).

So yes, there are sound reasons for metering these out in controlled batches every hour. And that system is automated, we can't afford that many little old ladies.