Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-26-2022, 06:16 PM

Default Post Production - where to start?

I want to learn post production with Pro Tools. I appreciate there are numerous free learning resources available but many seem to lack cohesiveness which is frustrating for a beginner... I have a basic understanding of the post production workflow but I'm wondering if I need to focus on a specific role such as dialogue editor, effects editor or mixer etc?

I just think in terms of learning I'm unsure of where to go next. I would like to do something hands on in Pro Tools. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Post Production - where to start?

Internship or assistant is the best way. Learn from someone who's been doing it for years.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarHole View Post
Internship or assistant is the best way. Learn from someone who's been doing it for years.
Is there any self directed learning I can attempt to do? There are several film courses available where I live. Would they be useful?
Old 04-26-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kol12 View Post
Is there any self directed learning I can attempt to do? There are several film courses available where I live. Would they be useful?
There is really no self direction. Not to say you couldn't learn on your own, but that isn't going to give you the credits and connections you need.

You really need to be around people in the business.

Film course is a broad term. That could mean anything. You need to look into post production sound. Editorial, mixing, supervising etc.

Your best bet is be an intern and be a fly on the wall. Maybe move up to assistant/tech.

Or school that can teach you and give you connections to be an intern or assistant.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
There is really no self direction. Not to say you couldn't learn on your own, but that isn't going to give you the credits and connections you need.

You really need to be around people in the business.

Film course is a broad term. That could mean anything. You need to look into post production sound. Editorial, mixing, supervising etc.

Your best bet is be an intern and be a fly on the wall. Maybe move up to assistant/tech.

Or school that can teach you and give you connections to be an intern or assistant.
There is one institution here that appears to offer post production specific training for which I have enquired. The film and TV production course does look broad but it does let you choose to specialize in post production.

I appreciate your answer for needing to be around people in the business. Hopefully that will come. I think part of my question is what can I start doing at home myself now to get familiar with processes and techniques? I do not know yet when new training intake dates are and I would like to use the time I have to start learning something... I have Pro Tools installed my home machine and would really like to do something hands on that's constructive. I am finding the Pro Tools 101 eBook and Pro Tools documentation useful.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kol12 View Post
There is one institution here that appears to offer post production specific training for which I have enquired. The film and TV production course does look broad but it does let you choose to specialize in post production.

I appreciate your answer for needing to be around people in the business. Hopefully that will come. I think part of my question is what can I start doing at home myself now to get familiar with processes and techniques? I do not know yet when new training intake dates are and I would like to use the time I have to start learning something... I have Pro Tools installed my home machine and would really like to do something hands on that's constructive. I am finding the Pro Tools 101 eBook and Pro Tools documentation useful.
Most educational resources, and even institutional courses lack a lot of cohesiveness purely because of the nature of sound work. Making stuff that tells the story well and sounds great is all that matters. There are a million different ways to get to that destination. Everyone works differently.

I would suggest getting amongst it until you find something more formal like an internship or study. Reach out to other aspiring filmmakers and make stuff! Watch films. Learn about storytelling. Make, mix, sound design podcasts. Start trying to build a portfolio of work, and focus on improving it. Find fun film scenes, and set about sound designing them from scratch in different ways. Aim to make better stuff this week, than what you did last week. Realise that what you make today won't be anywhere near what you make in ten years. Be forgiving of your mess ups, but be entirely analytical and reflective on why it happened, and figure out ways so it doesn't happen again. The tools are only a fraction of the job. Listen. Listen. Listen. It is all that matters in the end. And it requires repetition to improve. Lots of repetition. Always ask what you could have done better. And that doesn't just mean the sound work. Film is a collaborative format. Listening to the ideas your collaborators have is equally important. Start small. Hit stumbling blocks. Ask questions. Find answers.

John Purcell has a good book on dialogue editing. It has a bunch of stuff about the history of film sound, which gives some good context on workflows. He also dives into his own dialogue editing techniques. And from memory it also includes a CD containing example dialogue editing sessions.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:19 AM

There are some great tutorials on You Tube now.
I wish there had been when I started, it would have made the magic curtain of sound post a lot easier to get behind.

Matt Yocum has done some fantastic ones for Pro Sound Effects and there are others, just search, but watch out for the charlatans that will tell you rubbish.

Bear in mind everyone in sound works differently and there are positives to be picked up from all methods, but no one golden way of achieving the best result.

You will need to shell out for Pro Tools Studio to get the advanced automation that we all use and if you want to get into field recorder workflow I think only Flex has it, at its premium price.

I agree with the others it's a good start to work for a company to build contacts and learn skills, but there are excellent learning resources out there now.

Watch some videos, mix a short film for a friend, have fun!

Good luck, we need some new folks in the biz.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:28 AM

Search for Thomas Boykin on You tube too.

I found his channel recently and he's done a really solid step by step guide to sound post producing indie film. There's also great stuff about using Izotope RX etc.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:32 AM

While I agree with everyone that an internship/assistant position will be necessary at some point to learn the workflows and build contacts, having a solid functional knowledge of the basic tools will go a long way to helping you get that internship - I don't really know anyone who would take on an intern/assistant who doesn't have the basics.

You can at least start by getting familiar and fast with all the basics in Pro Tools (assuming that's the platform you'll be working on) - for self-directed, there's tons out there but when I needed to learn Cubase and Logic in a hurry I went to these guys: https://www.macprovideo.com/library/...ation/ProTools

There's plenty others out there - Berklee probably has some decent online courses. None of this will get you deeply familiar with specific post-pro workflows, but they'll give you some background and get you comfortable with the tools, which is step one.

Best of luck!

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-29-2022, 05:15 AM

I am writing from my experience derived from observing of trainees passed through my studio.
1. It is much easier for everyone when a person comes from some film education.
Its important to understand - were are in post production are not just the sound people, we are a part of the movie making process.
You must learn, love and live cinema.
2. I personally don't believe that being an intern, guarantees you something or even speeds up the thing. Don't think only about yourself. Ask what makes people working in post for so long. Try to be a part of it.
3. Stop thinking of Pro Tools, plugins, consoles, machines as of creative tools. They are not. They are just tools. Sometimes amazing tools...but still tools. Learn what should be achieved first in term of movie making. You'll find the right tools for it later.
4. Go study in a film school. You'll meet there people which might be your clients one day or your links to the industry. Again - we are film makers nothing less.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2023.12 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24