Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2003, 08:34 AM

Default splitting signal for monitoring + recording

I'm looking into getting a new mic preamp, and I'd like to know how to go about routing a single output to two devices.

I like to have my mic pres signal sent to a mixer (for monitoring only) as well as to the Digi001 (for recording). I use a Mackie mixer for monitoring to avoid hearing latency, and it works very well.

Some of my mic pres have two outputs, which makes this very easy. Other mic pres, like the Vintech 1272, only have one XLR output for each channel. What is the best was to route the mic pre output to two inputs (one for monitoring at my mixer, and the other going into the Digi001)? Is there a splitter box/device that I will need to do this without degrading the audio signal? I don't want to make my choice of preamp limited to pres that have two outputs, but for my work flow, it really helps.

Any advice on this is appreciated,
dave patterson / knobville
Old 01-15-2003, 10:28 AM

Default Re: splitting signal for monitoring + recording

Not sure about a splitter, but there are good compressors available that have two outputs. If you go that route, you could use whatever pre you want, and come out of the comp into both the 001 and your mixer.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:45 AM

Great Q. I've researching this myself.
Who knows the impedance rules? Will a half normaled patchbay slot work? It is a line level signal coming out of the preamp. I wouldn’t think it would be adversely affected. Anyone know the truth?

-how do you like your 1272? I got mine a week ago. It’s incredible! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2003, 10:49 AM

Bassmac,

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to be able to have the option to use a mic pre without needing to add additional gear, like a compressor. I'm wondering what I'll loose if I just do a "mult" at my patchbay.

When I eventually add an A/D converter, I'll also need to be able to split the signal in that situation, too (once to the A/D converter en route to the computer, and once to send to my mixer for monitoring).

regards,

Quote:
Originally posted by bassmac:
Not sure about a splitter, but there are good compressors available that have two outputs. If you go that route, you could use whatever pre you want, and come out of the comp into both the 001 and your mixer.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 01-15-2003, 04:15 PM

How are you using your 1272 with the 001? I haven't gotten a new preamp yet, but that's one I'm seriously considering. It seems to be one of the better mid-priced preamps.

I want to make sure whatever preamp I get won't be compromised by improper connections. Being able to send the signal to my mixer (for latency free monitoring) and the 001 (for recording) is important to me. A number of preamps seem to have two outputs, which is appealing for my setup.

Quote:
Originally posted by phaseout:
Great Q. I've researching this myself.
Who knows the impedance rules? Will a half normaled patchbay slot work? It is a line level signal coming out of the preamp. I wouldn’t think it would be adversely affected. Anyone know the truth?

-how do you like your 1272? I got mine a week ago. It’s incredible! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2003, 04:30 PM

I do run my TL Audio dual pre thru a channel on my Behringer MX8000 mixer, and then out to the 001 AND headphones. The channels on the mixer are quiet enough, the signal from the pre is line level, I cant hear any degradation of the sound, and I’m happy. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The main channels seem to do the job well, lots of headroom, but the the other aux busses on the mixer cant handle it at all. Use your ears.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:03 PM

Ben,

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to buy a high quality preamp and then run it through additional circuitry on its way to the Digi001. Doing so would affect quality of the preamp's output signal (extra gain stage, EQ, busses, etc.). There has to be a better way.

Some of my pres have two outputs (Digimax has analog and ADAT, Meek pres have two outputs, Focusrite Penta has digital option and analog output), and these work well for monitoring without effecting the signal on its way to the Digi001.

I also want to invest in a good A/D converter, and will need to know how to send a signal there AND to my mixer for monitoring.

Anyone have suggestions on how to do any of this?

thanks in advance,
dave patterson

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Jenssen:
I do run my TL Audio dual pre thru a channel on my Behringer MX8000 mixer, and then out to the 001 AND headphones. The channels on the mixer are quiet enough, the signal from the pre is line level, I cant hear any degradation of the sound, and I’m happy. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The main channels seem to do the job well, lots of headroom, but the the other aux busses on the mixer cant handle it at all. Use your ears.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by davidp158:
I don't want to buy a high quality preamp and then run it through additional circuitry on its way to the Digi001.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I came to the same conclusion. I could run it through my Alesis Studio 32 but I’d rather not have that in the signal chain. Seems like a number of us need to increase our knowledge of electrical something-or-other… [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Anyone know difference in impedance when multing a line level signal? Is the difference audible?

-drew
Old 01-16-2003, 09:42 AM

There must be some "proper" way to send the mic pres output to two destinations. Some mic pres offer two outputs, which is convenient, and I would assume that the signal quality is mantained.

Anyone with audio signal path knowledge whan to chime in on this topic?

regards,
Old 01-17-2003, 06:08 AM

You can split a signal from a low impedance output into two medium to high impedance inputs (i.e. most line level inputs) without significant penalty. There may be a tiny loss of level which shouldn't be a problem, but there is an outside chance that the frequency response may be affected - you'll have to use your ears. You can quite readily put any losses back in the mix, though.

You will get problems, however, if you split into two mic inputs, because they are inherently low impedance and most line outputs may struggle to drive them.

I would try a split lead arrangement first: one side to the line input of your mixer, the other to one of inputs 3-8 of your 001 (only because I'm not sure what happens to the impedance of inputs 1&2 when switched to line, and also because you don't want to risk phantom power being sent to your mixer input). If this works, then you can parallel two sockets on your jackfield and connect your mic pre's output to them for easy twin patching.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.